Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

PS3 SixAxis/rumble U-turn imminent?

It certainly looks like it...

:legalese: — “Sony and Immersion settle differences, PS3 tech collaboration imminent

Why have Sony turned the PlayStation brand into such a fucking joke?! As if it couldn't be worse for PS3's launch in Europe already, now we find out Sony really were lying about rumble being impossible within the SixAxis controller. Aaaargh!!

Of course it wasn't impossible. The WiiRemote proved that. Was anyone still unsure about whether or not 90% of what Sony says is spin at best, lies at worst?

I was being diplomatic.

You were being diplomatic? Here?!

To quote some guy from the comments of that page:

So....we should buy a PS3 at launch. More expensive than the rest of the world. With less backward compatibility. And with a controller that will be out of date before long.

I think that summed it up quite nicely

Yes, let's keep bashing Sony even if it's good news. They can't win, can they?

/hates sheep

/likes real sheep

Yes, let's keep bashing Sony even if it's good news. They can't win, can they?

/hates sheep

/likes real sheep

YES. Good news. Just a month ago Sony said that rumble is for last-gen LOSERS http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157501

I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that.

So now, if Sony adds rumble features, the LAST GENERATION can finally begin because they say so. :deranged:

They can't win, can they?

They can stop fucking spinning bullshit and then lying about it when it splatters back all over their faces.

I'm in agreement with all of this, but I feel a bit of pity for Stareye, so I'll post some good Sony news. Looks like they've finally managed to figure out a way to make inoffensive viral marketing. That video is really damn cool. It's a welcome change from their usual intelligence-insulting fare. A step in the right direction.

Also, if in a couple of years I end up getting a PS3 (which in all honesty, is likely. Price drop, etc should help.) I won't complain if there's rumble. This only hurts the early adopters. Never a smart thing to do, but if you were paying attention to all the pre-launch and still decided to adopt a PS3 early, frankly you may just deserve what you ended up with.

God knows I can't stand how Sony can't seem to be able to be clear about anything and abide for its errors, but here he's an attempt to find an explanation to what going on. It's messy, but I hope it will bring people more aware of what's going on to share their insight.

First, let's assume Sony's exec weren't replace by robots which just badly mimic the characters they impersonate.

Here's what all things related to the PS3 make me feel like : Sony execs are trying to dodge as many bullets as they can during the 8 months following the US release of the PS3 , as this period was supposed to be the phase at which the PS3, while not being release, would see its kinks solved.

Here's what I think happened : around April 2006, Sony was aware that the PS3 wouldn't be ready for release at the launch date that was fixed at the time. But because the Xbox 360 was beginning to really threaten Sony's market (loss of exclusivity [GTA 4 in June], better games coming up, XboxLive success) and because Nintendo was coming back from the dead to create a new edge in the next gen, Sony felt they had to release their new console-type hardware late 2006. The issue is that the hardware, the middleware and the production means weren't ready to face such schedules...

and might have been if the product had been release a year later(end of the lawsuit with the, better production chain, better hardware definition, sleek backward compatibility,BluRay disponibility); but this wasn't an option for I think Sony execs felt that once the Wii had been released every Sony customer would turn to the 360, seeing it had a huge game library and former Sony third party developers coming to Microsoft platform.

Another thing, is that the PS3 doesn't seem to be a bad piece of hardware in itelf. What I suspect is that the market wasn't open to the new kind of "entertainment solution"[couldn't find something less bullshit sounding] that the PS3 is offering : the PS3 isn't a console, it's something else and, in a sense, something 'bigger' but whose cost is so high, that it can't be possibly be advertised as a 'regular console'... but because Sony had to surf on the success of the PS2, Sony labeled the system as a successor to this legend... which is a big screw up in my opinion; as if Nintendo had called the Revolution/Wii the Gamecube 2.

Here's my 2 not-so-well-informed cents about this

Sounds about right. The only problem I have with the PS3 as a machine is that I find Sony's controllers to be incredibly uncomfortable. I'd pity them if I weren't still pissed about Lik-Sang. As I am though, the whole thing strikes me as a bit funny. Still, despite my personal feelings about the company I'm sure the PS3 will eventually prove itself. God knows there wasn't much on the 360 for it's first year either, now it's my most played system.

Except there were a million other options that Sony failed to take, or sometimes maliciously screwed over. Honestly, do you think this Sony-hate comes falling from the sky? It's wrought by a steady build-up of insults, manipulation and idiocy on their side. A normal public would simply not notice or neglect this, but we're probably too media-savvy to be misguided by it and see it for the endless stream of bullshit and imperialism it is.

I'm not saying they aren't arrogant pricks who takes some outrageous decisions. I'm just saying that they deserve credit when they're doing something right, like everyone else.

What have they done right in this case ? They only paid 2 years late a fee of USD90 million decided on by the District Court presiding over the infringement case... they haven't done something right, they just did what the law required of them.

They gave in to something they could've kept fighting for years to come, and opened up the opportunity of an official rumble featured PS3 pad.

It may be three years too late, but it's better late than never.

And how isn't following the law right?

I think the distinstion between 'doing what is right' and 'doing what the law dictated to them' is pretty simple.

A rapist who is caught, pleads Not Guilty (even though they really did it), is convicted and sentenced isn't 'doing what is right'.

In contrast, someone who finds another person's wallet, tracks them down and returns it to them, cards and cash intact, would definitely be seen to be 'doing what is right'.

Why should we forgive Sony or say 'Gawd bless 'em, they are trying at least'. This is an international company that should priding itself on supplying a demand , instead of lying, cheating, bullying and anything else they can get away with.

Granted, Sony may have realised that they had to use hype to compete with the Wii's fanbase and the 360's early release. But surely hype should be based on something substantial? You know, actually supply what you claim you have.

A rapist who is caught, pleads Not Guilty (even though they really did it), is convicted and sentenced isn't 'doing what is right'.

No, that's not a good analogy. The rapist doesn't have much choice, he is taken to jail by force. Sony wasn't. They had the rights to carry on fighting the decision, but they didn't.

And I never said we should "forgive" them for their past actions. You know the tale of the prodigal son? It's an exaggeration to say the least to compare Sony with the prodigal son - but the point of the story is to give credits when its due.

I believe in rewarding when they do something right and punishment when they do something wrong. I don't believe in punishment when they do something right just because they did wrong in the past.

Now, it's kinda weird to use that kind of analogy, but hopefully you know what I mean. I'm not comparing Sony to anything here, I'm just trying to get my point through. Truth is, I'm not sure about the issue anymore, I originally saw Sony doing something right, but since so many people think otherwise, I may very well be wrong. As long as their perspective isn't clouded by anti-Sony sentiments.

As long as their perspective isn't clouded by anti-Sony sentiments.

I think the over-arching point right now is that Sony continue to dig themselves into a pit over PS3, after making an undeniably world-class console such as the PS2.

It's the contrast between approaches past-gen and this-gen; it was in Sony's interests to settle this problem years ago, because it impacted on a significant portion of their hardware; namely, rumble. Fobbing people off with a hastily-announced replacement (SixAxis), whilst choking the courts with red tape for as long as possible, shouldn't have fooled anyone, much less generated any apathy for a company that, not so long ago, set an extremely high standard for the whole industry to aspire to.

This is not some great, magnanimous gesture by Sony. It's a "climb-down" in the face of overwhelming odds and realising they've already fucked themselves over for the most part with their new console. They had to sort this out, because they needed a) some positive press (whoops), and B) to give people what they really wanted - i.e. rumble in the controller.

If anything, I see this generation's maligned gimmick ending up being SixAxis--not Wiimote, as many pundits argued this time last year.

And I never said we should "forgive" them for their past actions. You know the tale of the prodigal son? It's an exaggeration to say the least to compare Sony with the prodigal son - but the point of the story is to give credits when its due.

:erm: No, that's not the point.

Rob Fahey posted a superb editorial on GamesIndustry.biz late last week concerning Sony's current position with PlayStation 3, entitled Three Steps Back.

As always (for GI.biz) it takes a mature and well-rounded look at the state of the games industry, encompassing not just proven fact but also the feelings of the community at large on the particular topic, without being unnecessarily bilious or contrived. It's just plain common sense coupled with fair observation, and it's pretty much how I feel about the whole PS3 situation at the moment.

No, that's not a good analogy. The rapist doesn't have much choice, he is taken to jail by force. Sony wasn't. They had the rights to carry on fighting the decision, but they didn't.

Hmmm... Fair enough. I still don't like the fact just doing what the law dictates some how deserves a pat on the back. But I won't argue more because I'm way too biased against Sony.

Liked the article Wrestlemania, I shall make sure to read more of his stuff.