Ginger

Give Iran the bomb

Watching the news these days reminds me of studying the road to World War II. A series of stupid blunders in decision making that looks set to result in the death of millions. I find it hard to believe that that the US and UK are oblivious to the fact that that their foreign policy is aggravating the situation and pushing more Muslim soldiers into the arms of those that choose to manipulate them for their own ends, and yet they pursue it, to what end?

Anyway I think the middle east would become a much more settled area if Iran had the bomb, although silly aggressive statements have been made by the Iranian government regarding Israel, I find it preposterous to think that Iran would ever use the bomb. By them having WMDs it would force other countries to not be so heavy handed in their foreign policy within the region, as they would have to invest their efforts into ensuring that the situation never got so dire that Iran would have no choice other than utilising their full arsenal. As for the argument that Iran supports terrorism, it is probably true to some extent, but so did the US in 1980's Afghanistan, but I'm pretty sure they didn't give the terrorists any WMDs and I have the same confidence that Iran would not (actually slightly more).

Let mutually assured destruction rule the world of international relations again.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a good guy. When he compared Iran's nuclear program to a train "which has no brake and no reverse gear", I instantly felt that everything is going to be just fine.

I say the US and UK should give up their own nuclear WMDs as a goodwill gesture to encourage Iran to cease production.

But I get the feeling that leaders would rather just nuke a random target than step down the weapons.

Edit: Also Ginger, you do realise that by now the CIA and MI5 programs have found this thread and you have been added to the "suspected terrorists" register? :D

I'm interested Ginger, in how you personally would tackle the current firearms gangs problem that's been in the UK news?

Give them the bomb.

On serious note, there is not a current firearms crisis there is a current press reporting on fire arms crisis. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/uk_crime_figures_2006/html/4.stm (The problem doesn’t seem to be spiralling out of control from these figures. Fatalities from gun crime have fallen and although there were a few killings close together I do not see any evidence that there is a crisis. However I do support trying to do something to solve the problem I just don't support the hysteria that is accompanying it)

I guess the government was tired of making people scared of the Terrorist as everyone then bitched about Iraq so they decided to make us scared of young people.

As for tackling the problem, I agree with the tougher sentencing (although where the hell are we going to put them) not as a deterrent, but as a means of reducing the number of guns on the street, this will hopefully slow the problem seeping down into the younger generation. Then you need to find a way of engaging the younger generation, giving them hope and opportunities in life and showing them that gang culture is not the way forward, so easy to write down not easy to do. There are some good community schemes out there, so we should encourage them and try to get them to spread.

Although the whole lock away this generation’s mishaps and go onto the next seems heartless I think it is one of the few ways to protect the next generation from falling into an even darker black hole. Hopefully the whole cultural fascination with celebrating gang culture will die soon, not sure what could be a catalyst for such an event.

Oh and Dan I would be very disappointed if the CIA and MI5 didn’t already have a file on me 

Hah, it's true that death's by shooting are down - but if you look up injuries from shootings they have actually soared. The police and government have only made reference to the deaths stats. But yes I agree that ths thing hasn't popped up out of nowhere, it's just that the media have only decided to make a thing of it now.

I was hoping you'd have a more creative solutioon, similar to your Iran one. I dunno, something like "give them more guns, also rifles and RPGs" :D

So many guns they couldn't possibly decide which one to fire, thereby nullifying them.

The problem with outreach programs is that they inevitably end up being patronising or try too hard to be something they can never be.

This is of limited interest but I keep reading "Give Iran the Thumb" every time the thread pops in the 'New Posts' section.

This is of limited interest but I keep reading "Give Iran the Thumb" every time the thread pops in the 'New Posts' section.

That would be even better.

So many guns they couldn't possibly decide which one to fire, thereby nullifying them.

Ooooh ooh I know! Give each gang a "nuclear deterrent". Hey, if it works for nations...