Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Thunderbird or Outlook Express?

I have to decide which I want to use at work before Friday. I don't want to use either, but there you go.

Anybody got some advice?

Put it this way:

1. Thunderbird: Obscenely useful Gmail-like conversation threading, iCal compatability, and many extensions to make it do pretty much anything you need it to (within reason).
  2. lookOut Express: Getting fisted by a lazy, dirty old tramp with long broken fingernails and chronic herpes.

Hmm, it's a toughy...

THUNDERBIRD.

Although one downside to Thunderbird is that if Outlook users in your office send attachements the wrong way they'll show up for you as winmail.dat instead of normal attachments.

But since you are being given the choice, I assume this isn't a problem at your company.

no, they're doing things very intelligently and allowing people to have either Thunderbird or Outlook Express. So there'll be a whole mixture...

...I used Thunderbird a bit today (naturally t'was me first choice innit), and it seemed clunky and awkward... and laggy...

My company recently switched from Thunderbird to Outlook and everyone's complaining about it.

I personally use Thunderbird. I haven't experienced any lag with it though...

Outlook Express, Outlook and that internet one which looks like Outlook are programs I wouldn't touch with a 10ft barge pole.

Thunderbird could be better; I too find it a bit laggy compared to outlook (Same for Firefox vs. IE), but like brkl: *anything* to avoid outlook express.

I've found Thunderbird stable under both Windows and Ubuntu, and like its auto updates because I know they're not akin to an STI ridden, rohypnol wielding rapist.

I'm one of the few who prefer Outlook Express over Thunderbird. No, I'm just telling a joke. In honesty I consider Thunderbird to be the better e-mail client.

Thunderbird is much better. But it can't be used instead of Outlook in many companies because there is Exchange support and it's missing calendars and stuff.

I hope Mozilla's Calendar app is going to be as great as Thunderbird. They are doing it both as a separate app and TB plugin.

1. Thunderbird: Obscenely useful Gmail-like conversation threading, iCal compatability, and many extensions to make it do pretty much anything you need it to (within reason).

PS. What does it mean Thunderbird has "iCal compatability"? It doesn't have a calendar currently. Or are you talking about some extension?

What does it mean Thunderbird has "iCal compatability"? It doesn't have a calendar currently. Or are you talking about some extension?

I thought Sunbird would have been rolled into Thunderbird by now - my mistake. Doesn't really matter; you can use the Lightning extension to get iCal support in Thunderbird anyway.

Hmm... maybe I should try it. For some reason I thought those Calendar programs were not fully functional/usable yet.

Thunderbird.

And, while you're at it, consider yourself lucky that you have the choice.

There is a possibility that we will change over here at work and it's a choice between Outlook and Novell Groupwise. :frusty: :frusty: It's like choosing which you would rather have: yellow or dengue fever.

I actually like the full Microsoft Office Outlook. It has a tonne of tools besides email that I found every useful at work.

Outlook Express is shit though.

Haven't tried Thunderbird.

PS. What does it mean Thunderbird has "iCal compatability"? It doesn't have a calendar currently. Or are you talking about some extension?
I think this is a some sort of Mac reference.