Jayel

Finally upgraded Windows

This is why I said I'd rather hear from actual users of Vista whether or not its technologies are problematic, or whether it's just blogger speculation of potential/theoretical problems (that rarely come to fruition) and thoughts from people who most likely don't own Vista and/or have never used it. That's all.

But this is not only about user experience. Sure its a part of the equation - but many of the problems with vista is of a more etheral nature which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with user experience. You may have the nicest user experience while continously being raped in the arse by transnational companies feeding their own compulsive control-syndromes. Again - many of the problems with vista are relating to principles - such as privacy rights etc. So that's why we should indeed listen to people speculating about the consequences - these things might not at all be obvious from any user-experience.

example: recently a couple of lines of code were discovered in windows NT by crazy coders going through the programming line by line. This code was a backdoor into the computer - its name was obviously NSA-something or other. This function is probably also in Xp - just as yet undiscovered. So when microsoft outrightly states that they want to control and know all that you use your computer for - our privacy is indeed fucked.

But this is not only about user experience.

:D

recently a couple of lines of code were discovered in windows NT by crazy coders going through the programming line by line. This code was a backdoor into the computer - its name was obviously NSA-something or other.

That was 1999. Noone outside of MS or the NSA really knows the truth about it. It was the public half of a key, indeed with NSA in the name. A lot of people claimed it was a backdoor left open for the NSA. Microsoft denied it. AFAIK nothing was proven or demonstrated other than the existence of the key, and it's plausible that "NSA" might have been randomly generated or stood for something completely different to "National Security Agency".

I think things like the old MS music store now having no support and being incompatible with Zunes - all due to different DRM schemes - is good enough for pointing out the basic untrustworthiness of such systems ;)

Maybe the NSA thing is just a direct consequence of NSA providing strong advice on the S-box of the DES algorithm back in the days when they couldn't reveal they had discovered differential cryptoanalysis before everyone else... and that was to improve the system, not to create some backdoor.

So, no need to be more paranoid that the day-to-day level... you know, the one in which you freak out about how fucked up everything is.

Maybe the NSA thing is just a direct consequence of NSA providing strong advice on the S-box of the DES algorithm back in the days when they couldn't reveal they had discovered differential cryptoanalysis before everyone else... and that was to improve the system, not to create some backdoor.

So, no need to be more paranoid that the day-to-day level... you know, the one in which you freak out about how fucked up everything is.

true - but even without the nsa thing - I still think my arguments stands...