Kolzig

Supreme Commander demo out now!

425pxsupremecommanderbofl5.jpg

Chris "Total Annihilation, Dungeon Siege" Taylor's new game is coming, and the red hot demo is out today. WooooooooooooooT!

Man I hope my rusty bucket of a computer can handle this, I've heard that it's quite the power craving little game.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/10158/Supreme+Commander+Demo

http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096486809/

:gaming::wtf::gaming:

Oh and be warned, it's over 1 gig, so you might have to wait a while before you get it.

So what's the buzz 9on this game? All I remmbr from the early previewss is "you have an in-game counterpart of a huge ultra powerful mech"

But it has the lead designer's name on the cover, that's a big plus!

Urgh. I only switched to linux this very weekend. Have to boot into XP just to play this :/ Is it worth to reboot my pc just for this demo?

Well, after playing the demo it seems a bit :tmeh: to me. I think I'm gonna skip this game and go for C&C3.

C&C3 is looking nice indeed; a lot more exciting than Tiberium Sun. Also return to video cutscenes = hilarious win.

The next few years might well be good for RTS - Company of Heroes has been called "the half life of RTS", and if nothing else it puts RTS graphics on a footing with FPS. I really should carry on playing it now that I finished NWN2.

You can't kill the messiah! You have to love it. The movies were what took me through Tiberian Sun (which I actually didn't think was that awful at all). Although I couldn't care less about Red Alert, despite the beautiful FMV.

Hmm, Supreme Commander reminds me of Battle Isle for some reason. Ahhh, I have fond memories of playing Battle Isle 2, two player hotseat mode.

Back to C&C3; with the arrival of the alien race, Kane's claims to being the messiah may finally have some validity...

I tried the beta and found it very confusing.

Doubt I will get it.

C&C 3 I will be getting. Already pre-ordered the Kane Edition w00t!

Cold

::EDIT::

Yup the next few years I think are going to see some major improvements in the RTS genre. With duel and quad core processors whole cores can be dedicated to AI and the sort. Should be interesting to say the least.

Yeah I didn't expand on that note. I did eventually get it but still found it a bit... well rubbish in all honesty.

Cold

Stop signing all your posts you wanker. That's what the signature area is for. :tdown:

:D

But as for Supreme Commander, it's actually bad? There's been a lot of hype about it so I'm kind of surprised you all think it's shank. Not that I'd know as my computer is incapable of running anything beyond Duke Nukem 3D. :~

C&C3 is clearly the one to watch out for though. I mean, a new C&C game set in the original universe is one thing, but also with FMV cutscenes and Kane? Hell, I'd take a cactus up my rectum for that!

But as for Supreme Commander, it's actually bad? There's been a lot of hype about it so I'm kind of surprised you all think it's shank. Not that I'd know as my computer is incapable of running anything beyond Duke Nukem 3D. :~

I haven't tried it since the beta, but it definitely wasn't very enjoyable then. I've been playing a lot of TA Spring with some friends and, since that game has slowly been stealing most things revealed about SupCom, nothing stood out to me. TA Spring might only be a hobbyist project but, except for graphics, it does everything better (with the right mods installed of course).

I think what puts me off SC is the unit design. They have no style at all, being combinations of grey boxes.. I like my RTS armies to have a bit of character. This is probably the reason I could never get into TA either.

Haha, this is hilarious. The C&C community is all "Generals sucked, EA sucks, and C&C3 will suck, all hail SupCom!" and here it's the opposite.

Since I'll always hold a special place in my gaming heart for C&C (Red Alert was one of the first PC games I played, and I eagerly got C&C and Tiberian Sun soon after that), I'm looking forward to C&C3 as well. Kane is just about the best video game villain ever (in terms of over-the-top evilness, at least). I haven't tried the SupCom demo, but I'm not planning to because the screenshots never interested me.

I've played the demo for a while, it seems exactly like Total Annihilation...even the style is the same. Why didn't they just name it as a sequel?

Taylor has been calling it the "spiritual successor to Total Annihilation", which actually means, "would be called TA2, but we don't have the rights to the name".

SiN

C&C Generals sucked ass.

C&C 3 looks really good and hey of course Kane is the most important part of the whole game. It's KANE after all. Joe D. Kucan for president!

I haven't yet tried Supreme Commander as I had to download the demo THREE times before I got it without errors in the rar file.

I think for me, the main problem with SupCom is that it seems alot more geared towards macro play and I prefere to play with a bit more micro, paying a lot more attention to individual units.

Also I hate the way the view in SupCom seems very cramped. I don't feel as though I can see what's going on and if I zoom in enough to actually see the graphics of a unit, I can't see what it is they're firing at on the same screen.

That's pretty much the same reason I never got into the Total War games. I like small squads going around kicking ass. I've always been a fan of Blizzard's "groups of 12 units" thing. It just worked for me.