Sign in to follow this  
Thrik

Looks like Sierra's bit the big one.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/21/technology/vugames/index.htm

"The closing of the Bellevue offices mark the end of an era in the gaming world. In the early 90s, those offices were the home to one of the industry's pioneering publishers. Going under the name Sierra, developers in Bellevue created and sold top-selling franchises, such as "Kings Quest" and "Leisure Suit Larry". In 1996, the company was sold to CUC International, the first of a string of owners.

Despite the closing, VU Games still plans to use the Sierra name, much like Infogrames Entertainment changed its name to Atari (ATAR: Research, Estimates) in 2003 to capitalize on its name recognition value."

I predict LucasArts will follow in about 4 years.

Yup. That's probably why their desperately trying to reinvent themselves (however poorly they're doing it) by trying new things and (nnnnnnng!) canning adventure games barely months from completion.

S'far as I'm concerned, L-Arts can go ahead and bugger off... right after KoTOR 2 comes out.

I know, I am weak and undeserving of existance. I shall flog myself.

Whataver happened to bullfrog snubs, since you seem like you'd know something about it....I want another syndicate damn it!

A little pale but i'd still do her.

In other news: that game is completely CMI with vampires...vampires spelled strangely

Whataver happened to bullfrog snubs, since you seem like you'd know something about it....I want another syndicate damn it!

so im not snubs, but im a massive bullfrog fan, so i'll answer this one.

what happend to bullfrog? two words and u should understand : electronic arts.

dont geddit? okay, EA buy out bullfrog. this grounds all their insane ideas, and they churn out sequels (populous, dungeon keeper) ... good sequels, but nothing original. eventually, all the visionarys at bullfrog, got sick & tired of this EA shit they had to put up with and left. it started with molyneux himself, and many followed after. where are they now, u ask?

peter molyneux went on to form lionhead, which have been creating a bunch of very "bullfrog-esq" games. of course, after 4 years in the making, they released Black & White (BEST. GAME. EVER.) and they're still working hard on some very unique games (Rag doll kung fu fighting, anyone?)

a bunch of other guys formed Mucky Foot, which first created the excellent Startopia (a theme game fully realized, classic stuff) and then a bunch of action games ... they're out of business now.

another bunch created Lost Toys, which created a bunch of console games, and are also out of business.

so there u go then. lionhead are the only development studio left standing. they carry the spirit of bullfrog excellently though. im looking forward to filling my bookshelf with lionhead boxes ... if only they finished making those damn games sooner :)

SiN

Guest James

the brand survives of course. what was the last thing the bellvue office did though?