Sign in to follow this  
Salka

BenchGuys.Net...

That is so weird.

It looks like they're after passwords though, since the whole page is a mirror of the Thumb except for the login link. That takes you to their (cleverly disguised) login screen. So yeah, probably a phishing site where they swap the main page around every so often and then hope for a few passwords before moving on?

If people are phishing for password here, it means that the site is considered awesome and the visitors important enough to be screwed. Hurray for that!

So, anyway, is there anything new about knowing where does it come from and measure against it ?

[and I just discovered that the banner of the forum is still the old one when writing a new post. Is that what it should be ?]

Using whois.net:

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: BENCHGUYS.NET

Domain servers in listed order:

PARK15.SECURESERVER.NET

PARK16.SECURESERVER.NET

For complete domain details go to:

http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?Domain=BENCHGUYS.NET

So whoever it is went to the trouble of covering their tracks.

(NB Vimes, yeah we have the old banner still in the Banter forum).

Actually following the link given by whois to GoDaddy's whois page yields this info:

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353

Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: BENCHGUYS.NET

Created on: 17-Feb-06

Expires on: 17-Feb-07

Last Updated on: 18-Feb-06

Administrative Contact:

Private, Registration [email protected]

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:

Private, Registration [email protected]

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:

PARK15.SECURESERVER.NET

PARK16.SECURESERVER.NET

Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited

Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited

Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited

Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited

DomainsByProxy? Sounds sinister, like a company set up solely to mirror other sites through proxy, making a few evil changes for their own profit? They set up the site last February, apparently, and claim to run out of Arizona.

I'm guessing they're a company that you can buy domains through, so that your details don't end up on whois.

Being an internet idiot, I have no idea why they would do this. Who's going to accidentally type in benchguys.net when looking for idlethumbs.net?

And what would they possibly do with someone's idlethumbs forum password?

To quote Tom Hanks in Big: I don't get it!

Well, if it's for phishing, they might send out false emails - like PM notifications and such - and get you to go to that site instead. After you're there they'd like you to go directly to the login screen and after that they'd have some personal info on you. It all seems rather unlikely given what needs to happen, but it might.

After they have that first password they can start trying to get control of other accounts you have on the web, since most people use similar or identical passwords everywhere. After a while of doing that they might have made some money - if you're unlucky.

Uh... I see...

What does "bench guys" mean?

And does "what the hell" mean like, why is Idle Thumbs displayed on there or... like... why are we fretting? ¬¬

Uh... I see...

What does "bench guys" mean?

That's the collective group nickname for me and some of my old friends who used to sit at a bench during lunch in high school, and it's also the name of the email group we use to keep in touch while scattered across the country.

And does "what the hell" mean like, why is Idle Thumbs displayed on there or... like... why are we fretting? ¬¬

All of the above I guess. I don't remember rerouting the page, but I guess I did, since I don't need it to use it for actual web page hosting.

Also, how did anyone even notice this?

Also, how did anyone even notice this?

Oohh Oooh I know!

Yufster was googling her own name, and this domain came up. She claims it was to make sure "that there's nothing bad been published on the internet about me", or words to that effect.

I have a fucking stalker, jesus. I wanted to make sure there were no important details (alternate email addresses etc) about me on forums and stuff.

(Hey Dad if you're reading this... FUCK OFF)

I found that ages ago, I was looking for fellow bench guys, this is a body building/ gay sex move. What u do is;

1) Lie with your back on the ground and get another man to lie at a half pie angle to you and insert his erect member in your mouth.

2) To create the motion u then bench press the man on top of you, it is a great workout and u get a protein shake at the end of it.

Ginger, hurry up and get laid so the rest of us are spared this filth :P

My eyes!! They burn!

Anywho ¬¬.

I wouldn't think people would actually phish this site. It's just too awesome to do it. Also wouldn't they disguise the URL like idlethumbs.itmbs.net? Or idlethumb.net?

Cold

Somebody has to fill in for Jake now that he's not around here so much... I thought it might as well be me since the rest of you are too pussy... that's all...

Dan quite frankly you can fuck off, I'm never being hospitable to you again, not only am I never making you sandwiches again but also if you want sandwiches at all, you're going to have to bring your own bread, butter, sandwich fillings, plate, cutting board and knives. So you know, whatever.

As for you Ginger, you're no longer allowed to shag my little sisters or mother, and you're not allowed to suck Spaff off anymore, because you brought homoeroticism into my heterosexual thread.