Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Wario Disguise Game

What? Is this some new thing? Anyone heard of it, with Wario having all sorts of disguises and stuff?

I believe he is referring to Wario: Master of Disguise (or Kaitou Wario the Seven in Japan) the new Wario DS platformer.

Wario has 7 forms, the special powers of which are controlled by stylus gestures on the touchscreen.

Here's a wiki article on it.

That sounds totally awesome. I thought Wario was just about the mini-games.

Yup. Finally continuing on from 2000's (or 2001, I'm not sure) Wario Land 4. About damn time, too. Wario World was an entertaining diversion, but not exactly satisfying.

This might be really nice, yes. I doubt it will be able to approach the mastery of the first Warioland for the original Gameboy. Also, the graphics seemed... less than stellar. Those huge chests, wtf?

I'm all for a return to the days of Wario using his metal hat for barging. Well, I assume it was made of metal, but that's probably just because the only colour the Game Boy Pocket could do was grey.

I think the barging was done with his shoulder. He turned into Metal Wario in SM64DS though, if that helps.

I have Wario Land 2, 3, and 4 (and even on the Virtual Boy) but never played the first one. I heard it was essentially just more Mario and that the transformations and powers came later. True, or have I been really missing out all this time?

You've been missing out on one of the greatest platformers on the original Gameboy. He had three transformations in Warioland 1. Fecking awesome game.

I concur. Wario Land 1 is a defining moment in Game Boy game history. Wario's first starring role, and it really shines. You eat garlic (instead of mushrooms) to grow big, and get three different helmets to whack enemies with - the Bull Helmet, the Dragon Helmet (breathe fire!) and the Jet Helmet (which allows you to dash in the air). There's fifty hidden treasures in the game, and alternate paths in the overworld map, similar to Mario World. A sweet little game, I'm still looking for a copy to call my own.

the Dragon Helmet (breathe fire!)

I always thought it was a moose helmet. It made more sense to me : fire breathing moose. Fire. Breathing. Moose. I like the sound of it.

I really can't remember if I've played that one. Which is the one where you can turn into a zombie, and be flattened, and... some other things? Is that number 2?

Well, I remember that happening in 3 most vividly, but it may have been a part of 2 as well. It's been a while. That hat system sounds just like the one on the virtual boy, and the concept of an overworld map (which was absent in the VB version) has me intrigued. I may have to check this out.

Basically, it goes like this:

Wario Land: Mario Land 3

Wario as lead character. Main focus of game is cash (ie, payment for bonus game entry, and other things as well I think). Power ups similar system to SMB (ie, hit blocks and they'll pop out from the top). Power ups are Garlic, Bull Helmet, Dragon Helmet and Jet Helmet. Features overworld map similar to Mario World.

VB Wario Land

Sequel to Mario Land 3. Focus on treasure and cash. Power-up system from Wario Land returns, enhanced. Grab Garlic, Bull Helmet, Dragon Helmet, Jet Helmet for power ups. Grab the Dragon Helmet when you have the Jet Helmet (or vice versa) for all three powerups simultaneously. Focus is on time - you must escape the underground pits before time runs out. New to the game is the concept of depth - Wario can jump between the foreground and background at key points.

Wario Land II

Total revamp of Wario gameplay. Impossible for Wario to die - instead, any enemies only hinder him. Get touched by skeletons to turn into a zombie - you can fall through floors, which is usually a problem, but sometimes a help. Light or water will revert Wario back to normal. Similar methods for other status conditions (fire, spring, flat, drunk - censored to 'crazy' in English releases, etc.). After completing first run through, a world map opens up showing which worlds have secret exits - it's up to the player to find them. Once completing all sub-paths, final level unlocks.

Wario Land 3

Similar gameplay to Wario II - again, impossible for Wario to die. Most status conditions from Wario II return, along as new ones (frozen, Vampire, etc). Wario starts of with no abilities (swimming, butt stomping, etc.), but gains these through treasures as he progresses. Each world has four treasures to find. Most cannot be found on first play through. Game implements a day/night system which alters levels (tide may be in, light may gone, causing problems for Zombie Wario, etc.).

Wario Land 4

Revamp of Wario gameplay again. Now possible for Wario to die again. Status conditions do remain though. Level exit locks up upon entry. Must progress through each world, amassing treasure and finding "Keyzer", a floating key to escape. Four quarters of a special gem should be found as well. Upon grabbing Keyzer and pressing the Frog Switch, the exit opens, and a timer begins to count down. World path also changes. Must find exit before time runs out and you die. As you collect treasure, a silver bar fills up. If you grab treasure when the bar is full, your points are worth more than normal. When you get hit, you lose the bar and must refill it before you can get bonus points again. Getting gold ranks in levels requires clever use of silver bar.

Yes, Wario Land 2 and 3 are two of the greatest platformers ever. The first is also quite fun. Brings back such fond memories of my childhood...