Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

and mainly design power utility substations.

Am I allowed to think that that rules? I love coming across people who make the shit that nobody actually thinks about someone actually making.

Hey Six! I've recently started playing EVE myself... Where are you based/name? I'm in Catch, called Tonsko.

Hello, Six! EVE scares the shit out of me. But I love the idea that they hired a full-time economist(?!) to help run their universe. Very interested in trying it, but daren't as I'm also married but don't have the free time an MMO truly requires. If the developers ever get rolling with the much-rumoured meta games (i.e. trading on your phone, related web-based stuff), then I may well be swayed... ;(

Anyway: welcome to Les Thumbs. :tup:

To be fair, EVE requires less time than most, as you can level up while you're not playing, it doesn't require ceaseless grind.

But I love the idea that they hired a full-time economist(?!) to help run their universe

Oh shit, it was probably Iceland's only economist. And look where they are now... :eek:

Hello!

I've played video games for a long time (dating back to SimCity)

Sim City?!? Pfft. Newb... :shifty:

Kidding. Welcome!

most disappointing game was GTA IV (it's good, but it doesn't live up to the hype at all).

Few things ever live up to their hype, which is why it's best to ignore it as much as possible. GTAIV was a super-duper polished version of GTA with a good storyline, good characters and a good acting... That's good enough for me!

Sim City?!? Pfft. Newb... :shifty:

I'm probably younger than most on this forum, but I won't hold it against y'all.

Few things ever live up to their hype, which is why it's best to ignore it as much as possible. GTAIV was a super-duper polished version of GTA with a good storyline, good characters and a good acting... That's good enough for me!

Yes, I'm finding out that the Internets are terrible for evaluating console games. This was my first GTA game, and I had a list of (in hindsight) unreasonable expectations.

BTW, for anyone interested, Too Human is $20 at Target.com right now. I kind of enjoyed the demo and happened to have an old gift card, so I'm ignoring all the bad press about this game, and grabbed a copy. If anyone on this forum is into the co-op, I'd be interested in trying it out (after I get the game and get used to the mechanics).

BTW, for anyone interested, Too Human is $20 at Target.com right now. I kind of enjoyed the demo and happened to have an old gift card, so I'm ignoring all the bad press about this game, and grabbed a copy. If anyone on this forum is into the co-op, I'd be interested in trying it out (after I get the game and get used to the mechanics).

I'm afraid I got horribly bored of running around the same level 4 times, just shaded using a different colour. And if you don't like over-hyped games, my friend, I'm afraid you've just dropped a twenty on an absolute stinker. :hah:

Not in many notable Top 10s this year, were me Mr Dyack, hmm..? :violin:

I'm probably younger than most on this forum, but I won't hold it against y'all.

Yeah, well I started with Mystery House in 1980, after passionate nights spent pleasuring Roberta Williams by the fireside. I was so virile in my 20s, and after good ol' Roberta was satisfied (boy, she was an animal), we would sit next to each other on the loveseat and snuggle while using the Apple II.

Those were the days. I sure hope Ken Williams never finds out.

Hi. I'm 23 and go to school and work full time so not much time for games. I usually stick to the DS and ps2 for my gaming but the x360 gets some love too.

My favorite games are RPGs and Fighters

And I very much enjoy the idlethumbs podcast:tup:

Hi. I'm 23 and go to school and work full time so not much time for games. I usually stick to the DS and ps2 for my gaming but the x360 gets some love too.

My favorite games are RPGs and Fighters

And I very much enjoy the idlethumbs podcast:tup:

That is a pretty rad avatar

I love coming across people who make the shit that nobody actually thinks about someone actually making.

Is that because you make the game equivalent of that stuff? :)

Is that because you make the game equivalent of that stuff? :)

Oooh, burn. :clap::ancient::owned: Are you just gonna sit Idly™ by and let it slide?

Oooh, burn. :clap::ancient::owned: Are you just gonna sit Idly™ by and let it slide?

Well, Jake did describe his job in pretty much those exact terms, nearly word for word, on the podcast.

That is a pretty rad avatar

You could call it a "face clef". People might think less of you for it, though.

Well, Jake did describe his job in pretty much those exact terms, nearly word for word, on the podcast.

Still, nigga's gotta keep it real.

Yeah, it wasn't meant as a burn so much as an observation.

See, this is why I dread incomplete human interaction of the internet variety.

I made a random silly, whimsical, infantile comment that wasn't all that funny, but was in good humor. Then Chris proceeded to explain the error of my ways with excruciating exactness. Then I felt dumb and tried to backpedal, only to make syntheticgerbil think that I am a race baiter of some sort.

It was a completely irrelevant interaction, no one involved should remember it in two days time, and yet, it has hovered in my mind like some faux-pas for the past 24 hours.

I just need to get this out of my system. It feels soooo stupid awkward, like high school. ¬¬¬

Oh, christ, what have I done. This reads like a livejournal post.

Mood: :campbell:

Music: Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated

Holy shit I can post! I have been having an absolute bitch of a time with this forum. I'd try to log in and all it'd do was ask me to sign in again. I think it has something to do with reCAPTCHA hating me, but I finally got it to work somehow whilst trying to PM Jake to tell him of my plight.

So, rewinding to respond to some shit I've wanted to for the past week -

Jake - you are more than welcome to think its cool and I guess coming from a supposed expert on making things that no one thinks about being made I take it as a compliment!

About my EVE experiences - I'm currently in one of the two better known organizations from EVE, Band of Brothers (the other being our sworn enemies the goonies who hail from the SA forums). Before that I was in the Mercenary Coalition and before that I ran my own PVP corp.

EVE is an awesome game, but very niche and if you don't want a second job (albeit an awesome job that you can't wait to get to that takes up all of your waking thoughts and most of your dreams) it's probably not for you. Also if you like WoW it's (probably) not for you.

Also the skill training via time instead of xp is nice and it is true you don't have to be on and grind a lot, however if you want to make something your own in the sandbox that is EVE it tends to take a lot of commitment and effort. At the end of the day it's just pixels, but hey, you're proud of those pixels!

So, I hope I can post tomorrow and look forward to partaking in the community.

Glad to have you back with us Six. If it happens again try deleting your Idle thumbs cookie (seems to fix it for some people that have suffered the same thing).

Hey Six, you wouldn't be going to www.idlethumbs.com rather than www.idlethumbs.net would you?

I was doing that a while back and had the same problems.

There's a good possibility I was. Thanks for the pointers, I'll try to stop failing now.