Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

It's probably "video games," and I'm tired of people claiming that everything around here is as "sarcastic" and "hateful," etc. That's a self fulfilling prophecy if ever there was one. I'd say that at least for me, Thumb is actually extremely hopeful and optimistic. It might be a closet optimist, but hey. .

I was, of course, being sarcastic about the sarcasm :tup:

Yes, I think Idle Thumbs and its venerable community can be best summarised with this emoticon:

:spiraldy:

In all seriousness though, welcome!

Ah, I've been to far worse places and stayed there too because they were interesting. Nali City was characterised by Unreal mapping, several incredibly, ridiculously intelligent and witty people that randomly turned up and glued the forum together, endless conservative/liberal /evolution/creation debate threads, generally good standards of literacy, and a steady stream of post-op transsexuals. For a few years it was truly a strange attractor of games forums, but eventually degenerated into burned out triviality.

Jake's right, it's really not so bad around here and there isn't much hate at all.

Hey, everyone, my name's Harry. Apparently, I actually set up this account at the old Thumbs site years ago, though I can't remember if I ever did any posting at the time. Anyway, I've been enjoying the podcasts quite a bit, so I thought I'd come hang around the forums...

Hey everyone.

I have listened to the podcasts for some time now, and thought that it made sense to sign up to the forums and see how the community is.

So hello from the UK.

Hey, I'm new to the Idle Thumbs community. I started listening to the podcasts a couple days ago and it was awesome so I decided to see what its like here on site. I was kind of a wayward wanderer after the recent 1UP acquisition looking for a new great podcast and I was pointed here by GAF.

Hey there folks, welcome to the forum. Shtay awhile, and lishen.

Hello other new people :)

On the subject of the hateful nature of the Thumbs community, I'd point out that in the albeit short time I've been here everyone has been very amiable and pleasant.

One of the things that has helped me to stay active, along with the obvious intelligence of the members, lack of retarded console flame wars et. all, is the fact that everybody appears capable of good spelling and grammar, and bothers to write proper english. At the risk of sounding like your english teacher or your grandad (replace the war with spelling), the literacy level on most forums on is low; when you see posts written properly it becomes so easy and pleasant to read. Even if the contents contain faux-intellectual willy-waving sometimes. I can deal with that - it's a small issue - as long as it is lexically correct! :tup:

'English' is written with a capital 'e'. I expect you to be more careful in the future.

I'm really pleased that the podcasts are attracting such a high caliber of new forumers :)

I am pretty awesome, aren't I?

faux-intellectual willy-waving

I'll have you know my willy is a bona-fide genius.

it's a small issue

Again, speak for yourself.

OH I KID. In all seriousness, this is the first forum I've encountered in ages that I had any real inclination to stick to. It's small enough to keep track of and interesting enough to be worth doing so for. Yes. Small and interesting. I'm the king of praise.

Hi. I just kind of wandered here after I found out most of the 1UP podcasts were going to die. Listened to Idle Thumbs 13, 'twas indeed very cool. A lot of cock jokes, but you know, that's to be expected of gaming podcasts today. Let's just hope I'm actually gonna post on these boards instead of just lurk around like I did on 1UP, but fortunately you guys seem a lot less intimidating.

Oh, I like all the indie games and shit you guys find that I've never even heard of. I've already learned so many things. See you on the forums then. --> :fart:

Yeah, these are the only forums I've ever joined that I just read through threads with no will to reply. Usually it's either post or ignore, but I've become a bit of a lurker.

I've found my lurking tendencies have increased lately, and I'm not really sure why. I still post quite frequently, but nowhere near as much as I used to. Luckily, with (as mentioned) so many quality new members it hasn't mattered so much. Good podcast = good recruits. Who new?

I really don't do forums. I always considered forum posting on par with writing letters to the editor of a gaming magazine or geocaching. But this podcast is really good and I knew that there would be better people here. I was right.

...said the man with 37 posts in three days. :mock:

Yeah, I was worried I'd contradict myself a bit there. Always go slightly mental when I find a new online home.

:gaming:

I really don't do forums. I always considered forum posting on par with writing letters to the editor of a gaming magazine or geocaching. But this podcast is really good and I knew that there would be better people here. I was right.

Some of us are editors. We can pretend your posts are letters!

Well, after only posting in the text adventure forums for a while, I'm dropping into the others to say hi and to raise my postcount.

Good!

Some of us are editors. We can pretend your posts are letters!

Well, since this is getting counted as a letter to the editor anyway I might as well say that I thought that one of the best podcasts I have ever heard was the one from December 23, 2008 because it was nothing but recommendations of games and blogs I would have never known about. Really, Hitman? But based on how you sold it, I am interested. Also, your mention of that guy writing up the Stanford Game collection, that is great.

The next time you are preparing a podcast and are considering either having an extended "What you been playing" section or having a segment on interesting things that you have found, go for the later. That is what makes this podcast better than the others.

I've been lurking for some time, but after listening to Chris, Nick and Jake boast about the forums, I decided to stop lurking and participate some. Maybe by the end of this venture I will have contributed something to this community.

About me, well I am in the USCG stations in Chesapeake, VA(due to transfer this summer). I'm an IT and currently support the entire Atlantic Fleet's record message traffic and underway connectivity. Its never a boring day here at CAMSLANT.

Aside from that, I am married with 2 kids. My son (4) is showing great potential in video games and computers. My duaghter (1) won't let go of my IPOD touch.

And thats a bit about me. May this be the beggining of a long relationship.

Hi, I'm Aaarrrgh.

I listen to the podcast, post on shacknews, and make quirky games!

These are both very related to the whole real life stuff that they were talking about on the latest podcast, in some obscure way :)

Edited by aaarrrgh