Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

HELLO.

I initially came to the forums to see if I could find the URLs for some of those alternative domains, but before I got around to doing any actual looking I saw that there was a thread about Chris Morris, which I felt compelled to post in, even though I had nothing significant to say, so I signed up without even looking at the Gaming forum, AND THAT IS WHY I DID NOT POST IN THIS THREAD FIRST I'm very sorry.

Anyway, Idle Thumbs is the single auditory substance that causes me the most difficulty at work: I've been chastised on two occasions for laughing to myself, which is apparently disruptive. I suppose it is, but it's no worse than the woman who sits opposite me and keeps telling me the petty ways she's going to get back at her husband for not running some errand, or the guy who sidles up to my desk, chuckling to himself, silently begging me to ask him what's so fucking funny. BUT I DIGRESS. All this talk of Gordon Freeman's sociopathy and ethereal goatses has me in near-painfully stifled hysterics. I could stop listening, of course, but I don't enjoy my job or my co-workers enough to do that.

Basically, you guys are on the verge of getting me fired. Consider this awful post my revenge.

Edited by JamesM

I've been chastised on two occasions for laughing to myself, which is apparently disruptive...

Basically, you guys are on the verge of getting me fired. Consider this awful post my revenge.

No laughing at work?! Seriously?!

I think I'm allowed to laugh half-heartedly at the stupid things my colleagues say, which I do, but only because I have a profound aversion to awkward silences (such behaviour only encourages them, of course, so it's a habit of self-punishment). I think my boss objects to continuous private sniggering. I don't know, I think it's a small price to pay to keep me from losing my mind to boredom (or just falling asleep). To my boss' credit, he's declined to ban it outright. I think he blames it for things are actually the result of either tiredness or incompetence, though.

Or maybe he's just jealous because his interests aren't as hilarious.

Horticulture Tycoon: oh man, I'm bummed to hear that actually. I think I was overwhelmed by the amount of applications at the time and wasn't very well organized.

No worries, I probably had one article about non-linear storytelling in me, after that I would've exhausted everything remotely interesting I had to say.

Incidentally, Thumbs is banned at my work outright, so consider yourself lucky James. I assume anything with a games or video games meta tag is obliterated by the filter.

I don't think my boss actually knows what it is. Because I listen with an earphone. Because I'm a considerate human being or something. And it's not filtered because we're a small company with no time for that kind of nonsense.

But yeah, being able to get away with that sort of stuff is what makes my job tolerable, I think. My condolences to those of you who have to actually pay attention to what they're doing all day.

Hey there.

Listened to the podcasts since episode six when Brad guested, so I suppose I'm an ambassador from Giant Bomb. I love Idle Thumbs right now, and the original site seemed like a great idea. I go about singing "Games, video games, video games, video games, video games, video games, video games, video games..." all the damned time as well.

So, yeah, 'sup?

:woohoo:

Definitely go back and listen to episodes 1-5 before it's too late. :tup:

Also: welcome, new people! It's nice to see Thumbs steadily growing again. :yep:

I'm frightened. Our dank and musty corner of the internet is being exposed to light. Now what hole can I crawl into?

[/sarcasm]

Welcome new folks!

Thanks y'all. Hopefully these forums stay fresh, every time I join something it seems to be in decline, it's like a curse ;(

And I've listened to all the earlier episodes as well, I'm a bit of a podcast machine :3

Hopefully these forums stay fresh, every time I join something it seems to be in decline, it's like a curse ;(

Well, the site has been going since 2004, and had precursors before that. We have been, if you like, in a state of eternal decline. An orbit, in fact - falling forever but never hitting the horizon. Just circling around the great black hole of *********.

Also, hallo to all the new folks! Ramp up your sarcasm shields and pull up a place by the fire of previous newbie corpses.

Seriously though, welcome :grin:

Yes, I think Idle Thumbs and its venerable community can be best summarised with this emoticon:

:spiraldy:

In all seriousness though, welcome!

I don't mind if I get shat upon thoroughly for the first while, I'm just glad there's another secluded sanctuary out there to talk intelligibly about games as an artistic medium. I feel like an old man of internet gaming forums, I'm always the one sighing and shaking my head as another 360 vs PS3 flamewar is thrown up by a few thirteen year olds who just barely totter on the edge of the ability to think rationally.

I feel like an old man of internet gaming forums, I'm always the one sighing and shaking my head as another 360 vs PS3 flamewar is thrown up by a few thirteen year olds who just barely totter on the edge of the ability to think rationally.

Don't worry. It's OK here: we hate all video games equally.

Or is it "video games"? :shifty:

:getmecoat

It's probably "video games," and I'm tired of people claiming that everything around here is as "sarcastic" and "hateful," etc. That's a self fulfilling prophecy if ever there was one. I'd say that at least for me, Thumb is actually extremely hopeful and optimistic. It might be a closet optimist, but hey. Though the forums are often filled with poop and vitriol, I think that one thing that drives everyone forward here and gets everyone excited is the promise and potential that gaming as a whole has to offer. The fact that gaming as a whole so frequently delivers on that promise is a different subject of course, but in the big picture things are always moving forward!

Tangent: Fortunately our readership tends to trend old enough that we don't have any console war ridiculousness around here. People seem to come by to just talk about video games, and enjoy video games. There is of course dick waving, but its presented as faux-intellectual overwrought rambling instead of the usual games forum italics-ridden made-up statistics about graphical might and blast processing and such... so our dick waving is still occasionally off-putting and occasionally thread-closingly bad, but its at least slightly more palatable than the norm, and far less prevalent (and definitely more avoidable :)).

I've been listening to the podcast since the first episode, and I actually decided to start listening because I happen to have met Jake and Chris a couple of times at some shackmeets (although I doubt they would remember me!). I love the podcast, and I'm really glad that it is consistently weekly (instead of on a more random schedule, like Played).

I keep intending to register, but haven't until now, so HELLO THERE.

welcome.

Sorry that I don't, in fact, recognize you from your username. I am shit with names (and even worse at remembering usernames), but if I met you at another Shack (or similar) event, the odds would greatly increase that I would know who you are.

Glad you like the cast, and welcome to the boards.

welcome.

Sorry that I don't, in fact, recognize you from your username. I am shit with names (and even worse at remembering usernames), but if I met you at another Shack (or similar) event, the odds would greatly increase that I would know who you are.

I think it was at a couple of the happynoodle meets down in the south bay. Lots of pikmin, guitar hero, super mario kart DS, etc were played.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

I mailed you guys a question to the questions alias, but it wasn't really intended to be a "read over the air question" - the basic gist of it was whether or not you'd be willing to write short show notes for new episodes that contained links to games that were discussed during the show. Every time you guys mention neat indie games like osmos or retrograde or whatever I end up googling around to find them, and it would be cool to just have those collected as links, especially when lots of games were talked about at once.

Longer show notes would definitely be something to look into once we get a more real website off the ground. I always enjoyed those when they were prepared for the Shackcasts.

Well, something pretty easy to do would just be to have the "Games Discussed" thing be comprised of links in the case of games that aren't obvious blockbusters. I've put links in there before.

Well, something pretty easy to do would just be to have the "Games Discussed" thing be comprised of links in the case of games that aren't obvious blockbusters. I've put links in there before.

I think that's exactly what I'd love to see. I don't really care about episode summaries or something of that nature - I'm not really looking for a way to avoid listening to the episodes, but rather a quick way to remind myself what the specific games were, and hopefully not to have to dig around to find the actual developer's site.

Yeah, I'd also like to state that it's awesome that there are a bunch of new people coming. I was getting a bit tired of the ones that were already here. Hopefully the increased number of forum dudes can synergize with the podcast and create some exciting discussion which can improve the podcast, which I think has been pretty shit so far.

Who cares, though, when there are no longer any fun games to play.

Damn, remember when games were fun?

(amidoingitrite?)

Oh, and I'd like to say that all the Thumbs guys have extremely sexual voices. I'm straight, honest :shifty:

I was getting a bit tired of the ones that were already here.

:tup: