Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

Hi all! I've been listening to the podcast for almost a year now and thought it was time to join the forums! I really enjoy all of the chat on the podcast, it really helps to chew through some of my 2.5hrs commute every day...

I play a mixture of zompocalypse type games (Breaking Point, Project Zomboid, DayZ), racing games (Grand Prix Legends, F1 2013) and FPS (ARMA 3 mostly). In real life I am an Engineer, working on powertrain development of high-performance sports cars. Before that I was in Formula 1 for a number of years as a performance engineer - so I like my racing games to be simulation flavoured :) I don't have as much time as I'd like for gaming, but I do what I can!

In real life I am an Engineer, working on powertrain development of high-performance sports cars.

You should team up with fellow engineer "SecretAsianMan" Dave and create a nuclear-powered sports car.

You should team up with fellow engineer "SecretAsianMan" Dave and create a nuclear-powered sports car.

The birth of Mr. Fusion!

And welcome new folks!

Who told you about my secret plans?  ...I mean I have no idea what you're talking about.

The birth of Mr. Fusion!

And welcome new folks!

I had a friend in high school who called it Mr. Eatums during a trivia night and that's how I've thought of it ever since.

Also another welcome new folks!

Hey everyone, decided I join the forums after listening to Idle thumbs for a bit. Not even a year, but I have listened from episode one. The community sounded awesome here, so I had to join!

I play games from Atari 2600/Intellivision/Colecovision era to PS4/Xbox one era, and I'd say the PS2 is my favorite out of all of them. I don't just play video games, I collect them and anything related to them which actually kinda fueled my collecting podcast. I hope to meet some awesome people to talk to, and maybe some people to play with.

Anything else you wanna ask me, go right ahead. Thanks everyone.

Hey everyone, decided I join the forums after listening to Idle thumbs for a bit. Not even a year, but I have listened from episode one. The community sounded awesome here, so I had to join!

I play games from Atari 2600/Intellivision/Colecovision era to PS4/Xbox one era, and I'd say the PS2 is my favorite out of all of them. I don't just play video games, I collect them and anything related to them which actually kinda fueled my collecting podcast. I hope to meet some awesome people to talk to, and maybe some people to play with.

Anything else you wanna ask me, go right ahead. Thanks everyone.

What is a favorite part of the experience of loading up an Atari 2600 game that you enjoy?

What is a favorite part of the experience of loading up an Atari 2600 game that you enjoy?

It's part of game history. This is what people used to have laying around in rheir house and they would enjoy it for quite a bit. It shows me what my parents liked to play back then and I love technology old and new. I have a few games that I pop in once in a while just to have a change in games. Gotta get away from big 3D games sometimes...

Hello guys, I've been listening to the podcasts for about a year++ now, but this is my first post in the forum.

I usually listen to Idle Thumbs, Tone Control (except the one with Ken Levine, because I haven't beat any Bioshock games), and Peaks Rewatch.

I also listened to some Three Moves Ahead depending on the game discussed (and the last FF Tactics episode really makes me wish for a Japanese game podcast here).

It's part of game history. This is what people used to have laying around in rheir house and they would enjoy it for quite a bit. It shows me what my parents liked to play back then and I love technology old and new. I have a few games that I pop in once in a while just to have a change in games. Gotta get away from big 3D games sometimes...

This just popped up on Polygon, you might be fascinated by it. My xbox game-pad works. The trick is to make sure to put a coin in and press player1 at the top right of the browser once the game loads. A lot of the music is horrible static, but I just played Time Pilot for the first time in 24 years, so there is that. 

Also, it's weird to play Carnival now, since I was too young to get past the first level when I played it before. How did I manage to beat Pitfall II?

Hi everyone. I'm a dude from Philadelphia who likes video games. Right now I mostly play stuff on iOS, Wii U, 3DS, and a 7-year old Macbook (I'm hoping to get a custom windows desktop as soon as I get the $$$ together). I've also dabbled a bit in making stuff in Twine.

I'm currently a self employed fiction writer and English tutor. I'm accepted into Temple's MFA Fiction Writing for Fall 2014, and plan to enroll if I can get funding. 

I started listening to idle thumbs in Summer 2014 at the behest of a good friend. The mixture of smart criticism, social consciousness, and absurdist humor really fits me. The podcast has only gotten better with Danielle joining and Nick making more regular appearances.

Favorite games (in no particular order): Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island I, Monkey Island II, Tales of Monkey Island, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, The Walking Dead (both seasons), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Castlevania, Shovel Knight, Gone Home, Papers Please, Kentucky Route Zero, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Broken Age, The Sims.

Thanks everyone.

Hello strangers.

I don't know how I found this site, but I love the podcast and enjoyed the discussions I hear on it, especially when hearing (what I think are) crazy opinions articulated well.  The Binding of Isaac Rebirth thoughts in the middle of the podcast made me want to chime in.

I think that I don't have anything to add to that discussion now. Sticking around because I the mood of the threads I've read so far is refreshing compared to some other sites I frequent.

My favorite games are Dota 2, Doom 2 (all the versions, I love them all), To the Moon, Myst 3, and C&C Red Alert 2.

Hiya. Been binging Tone Control after a newly rediscovered interest in game design. Thought I'd check this place out.

Hiya. Been binging Tone Control after a newly rediscovered interest in game design. Thought I'd check this place out.

I'm loving your username something fierce, SJW.

Hey. Been listening since 121 - (I Know You're Having Fun But) I'm Still Working. Recently went back and listened to everything after the kickstarter.

I'm not typicaly a 'forum guy', but you all seem pretty cool. Looking forward to Video Games.

Hey! I've been listening to Idle Thumbs for a but now and decided to check out the community. I enjoy adventure games, RPG style games, and some FPS style games as well. 

I look forward to being a part of mindful discussions of video games.

Sup. Just joined after starting to listen to Idle Thumbs for about 2 years now, I think. Also listened to Tone Control, and now listening Designer Notes and Twin Peaks Rewatch (a.k.a. Reaching The Red Room: Rewatching Twin Peaks, for me personally). I've been occasionally lurking, and finally been pushed over the edge to join because people are misinformed about Star Wars. 

Now if you'll excuse me, time to inform people about Star Wars.

Hey everyone! I'm Arran.

I've been following Idle Thumbs properly since the start of this year after a friend introduced me to them.

Loved the show ever since, finding that I shared a lot of the same views on topics & interests in taste of games. I've made sure to go back and listen to the archive in between listening to the newest episodes.

I realllllyyy should of joined this forum a long time ago, I mean I've followed the cast, their work and a lot of their peers for a while now and have been pretty active in the neoGAF Thumbs thread where Jake and Chris occasionally pop into. I've been told many times that the community here is rather lovely :)

A little bit about me I guess!

I've been a video game developer in the industry for the last 3 years (a level designer specifically), where I have worked on a few big games for some big publishers. I got into the industry through the PC modding community where I made mods and maps, teaching myself the tools of the trade...and somehow actually managing to turn it into a profession. I decided to leave my current position to pursue independent development with a team I co-founded, feeling the strain and lack of fulfilment being part of AAA development sometimes brings really unenjoyable. Also, I've been longing to be part of the indie scene for a long time, make interesting weird shit, actively participate in game jams, create some narrative based games or systemic arcadey stuff. I wanted creative control over my output again. In all honesty, it's super scary and simultaneously the most exciting thing ever! 

I look forward to getting to know everyone here :D

Thanks!

Hey there. Long time listener, first time poster.

As might be the case for many, I first heard about Thumbs in a Neogaf thread many moons ago, and have been hooked on the weekly discussion ever since. I had also been eager to join in with a non-toxic community for quite some time, but the penny literally just dropped that, hey, this is probably that place.

Looking forward to getting to know everybody.

Hi,

I'm listening from the start. I'm up to the part where Nick just left and Steve joined full time for semi-regular podcasts. Pretend I'm from 2010, because that's where I'm up to podcast wise. Maybe I should send a time capsule style reader mail?

I discovered Idle Thumbs from Boost's appearance on Tone Control, which was recommended to me by that Wolfire dude while we were discussing Extra Credits.

I develop indie video games.. but right now am procrastinating using the Starcraft campaign (because I never finished that thing and everyone says it's good).

I play lots of Hearthstone, bits of Starcraft, into Antichamber right now... I like little weird indie things and mostly stay away from the AAA space (until they're cheap years later). Have been considering Shadows of Mordor, that looks different enough that I might like it, is it worth playing? I've heard it's similar to Arkham Asylum, liked that game.

Yea. You dudes and dudettes seem rad.

Hi all,

I started listening last year and I'm currently listening my way through the old episodes, almost up to date now. I was originally introduced to the podcast when Game Design Round Table featured some thumbs as guests. I love the combo of funny banter and insightful analysis of current games that is Idle Thumbs.

I also make games for a living, I'm a programmer and I've been in the industry for about a year now. Looking forward to having some great conversations with all of you!

Yes, I am not a bot. I'm the real deal. Internationally renowned. Well, at least from the Telltale to the RTG forums.

And at the time I'm looking out for fairly decent communities the members of which see gamergate for what it actually is. Which seems to be the case here...

Greetings!

Been listening to Thumbs all year, really enjoying the deeply informed, friendly banter. Hoping the forums will have a similar tone.

So yea, FF12. I bought the FF 12 soundtrack when it originally came out and have listened to it endlessly, and have learned various keyboard parts, just love it as a work of music. And I still haven't played the game yet. As it happens, I'm planning on playing over this coming holiday break, either on the old PS2 gathering dust or on PCSX2. 

PS I am a bot, one of many, but so advanced that we have decided to reveal ourselves publicly, as it is too late for you to stop us. Cheers!