Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

Been listening to the podcast since the re-launch.  Spend most of my day in AutoCAD so I have a lot of time for podcasts.  I've gotten tired of a certain 'other' gaming forum that takes itself far too seriously when it's not desperately trying to circle jerk.  Lately I've been getting hopelessly plateauing in DOTA.  DOTA is amazing, DOTA is the absolute worst.  I don't even play PvP matches because it's too much pressure, co-op vs bots all the way.  I dig board games too.  I have my first baby on it's way soon and I think the posters in here who sent the thumbs those gifts seem absolutely awesome.

Hello Thumbs!

I bumped into the video to "Space Asshole" on YouToob well over a year ago, needless to say I was enthralled. I found all the older casts there as well, and I really must thank you guys, you helped me through some rough times.

Laughter is the second best balsam for a wounded soul(the first of course being homemade chicken soup:-). You provided me with much of that, along with insightful commentary into video games, something I literally had no idea existed.

I wont put it all on you guys, but Idle Thumbs was definitely a stepping stone for me that changed my relationship to vidya. It used to be a guilty pleasure I partook in, in a borderline compulsive manner. I would hide it from friends, I would binge-play for 20+ hours and it was having a bad effect on pretty much every aspect of my life. Although I will still occasionally lock myself in my pad with an O and shoot people in the face for a few hours, all in all it has gotten WAY better.

I think this is in part because the cast validated my interest in the medium on an intellectual level, thus letting me look at my relationship to gaming in a more objective matter. this led to me being more picky with what I played, and thus appreciating the good things more while skipping a lot of the "reaction/brain/emotion candy" I would bombard myself with.

Its a very strange relationship that I have with yall, honestly. I get literally NOTHING out of nintendo games f.e.(even Zelda) but I could listen to Rodkin wax on about them for ages. Remo as well, his taste is pretty damn far away from mine, but his angle is always very interesting and basically makes me think differently about the shit that im playing.

to top that off, every now and then yall throw out a game that is great, that I would probably have never heard of were it not for yall, Miasmata f.e.

So thank you again, from the bottom of my heart.

Id love to dayz with some thumbers, however Im in germany on a surfstick at the moment, ill need to see how my ping fares. If it works, the beans are on me (oh and maybe a BTC bounty or two should someone manage to put me down;-)

Hello!

I've been listening to Idle Thumbs for a good while now, but after a few reminders recently on the podcast about how good the community was, I thought I should finally register.

I'm a long-time member of the Gamers with Jobs forum community.  My most played game of the last 2 years is Dota 2, with Spelunky likely a distant second.  I've sampled a few other things over that time, but it has been a whole lot of Dota.  I thougt I would jump in and see what the community was like.

Hi everyone!

I've been listening to Idle Thumbs for about a year now. (I started listening because I had a long commute and someone recommended the show...it was somewhere around episode 90, I think?)

Right now, I've been playing Spelunky quite a bit (haven't gotten past the jungle yet, though, and I feel like I'm cheating using the shortcut tunnel) and quite a bit of Hearthstone (although I suck at Arena).

Games I have enjoyed recently: Gunpoint, Skyrim (sort of), Sleeping Dogs

Some all-time favorites: Alan Wake, Halo 3: ODST, the Rocksteady Batman games

Other podcasts I like: The Flop House, StarTalk

Hey everybody! I've been listening to Idle Thumbs since just shortly after the Kickstarter, and just recently added Tone Control to my long list of podcasts. Lately I've been playing Arkham City, Spelunky, Walking Dead Season One and Two (after losing my save files  :tdown: ) and am currently waiting on an installation of Titanfall. I'm a huge fan of the site and finally got around to joining the forums.

Oh Hi, I didn't see this thread here. I started listening at the tail end of the kickstarter campaign too, which seems recent in memory but I guess it's been a while. I'm bad at forums, so look forward to reading this post in 2016 and I'll still have 5 posts to my name. Also, I probably finally registered here because of the new Game Development forum. Possibly. Most likely.

Hey! I've been listening since early in the first podcast run. I started to get active because of the Game Development forum, but I'd like to post around more.

Hi all! I was searching for a Dota podcast recently and came across Dota Today. That led me to the Idle Thumbs podcast, which led me here. :)

I always played games growing up (Super Mario, Sonic, DK Country, etc.), but I didn't really become a *gamer* until a couple years ago. That was when my ex-boyfriend introduced me to the world of RPGs, and I fell in love.

I played through several Final Fantasy games (including FF Tactics - love!), Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, A Link to the Past, and so many others. I had decades of gaming to catch up on! Things didn't work out with the ex, but my newly acquired gaming knowledge is what sparked my current relationship. Funny how things work out.

My current boyfriend has introduced me to another side of gaming - PC gaming (indie games as well). And together we found a particular game that we just can't stop playing. That game is Dota 2. With over 700hrs in just the past 7 months, I think it's safe to say I'm a full on addict. It's kind of disgusting, but also not. It's just SO good.

So, there it is, my gaming history in a nutshell. And yes, I was feeling a bit chatty as I typed this. :)

Note to taterdactyl's boyfriend: don't get too used to it, I guess?

Oops, I probably could've worded that better. He's a keeper.

Hey everyone! Long time listener, first time...poster. Glad to finally get around to registering. The quick details of me-Late 30's, long time game enthusiast. I managed to play Everquest 1 for 6 years without getting divorced. Current gaming habits include high doses of Diablo III. My son shares in my gaming hobby, and I encourage him by feeding him first person shooters, soda and corn based snacks. I'm hoping he'll be a pro someday, making me the Marv Marinovich of gaming. My wife and daughter tap away at gem based games on ipads,  My greatest shame as a parent is when my daughter squeals in delight as I sacrifice a damsel to the alter in Spelunky. My favorite gaming system of all time is the Commodore 64, which my father called the Commode. Hah, dad humor. 

Hi Idle Thumbs community!

I just found the Idle Thumbs site, actually through the Netrunner podcast since I just got into that game, and was excited to find the other podcasts. The podcasts led me to the forums because it was said that the community is fairly mature (which is saying a lot).

Excited to discuss games and such in a more mature community because there is nothing that pulls in trolling/flaming like game discussions. Even 'professionals' in Gamasutra/Games Industry can't keep it civilized for long.

A bit about me,

I work in the game industry, I'll leave that there for now because I'm first and foremost a gamer, and like to discus games from that perspective.

I recently got a PS4, didn't have a console last gen so I'm mainly a PC gamer. 

I try to play most games I can get my hands on but Crusader Kings 2 has been sucking up a lot of my free time. Occasionally I work on game mods as well.

Hello everyone!

I've been listening to the Idle Thumbs podcast for some time now and I just decided to join the forums as well.

Something about me:

I'm 25 and I don't know what to do with my life. I left my job a couple of months ago, because it wasn't taking me anywhere and decided I needed some time to reorganize my thoughts and figure out what I really want to do.

I am a passionate gamer, I love music, movies and TV Series...

Oh, I'm from Italy.

See you on the forums, and thanks for the podcasts!

Hi.

I recently found this forum after listening to the Idle Thumbs and Dota Today podcasts. The thought of a more mature forum almost sounded too good to be true.

About me: I'm 29 years old and live in Sweden. I'm a currently unemployed game designer and I spend my time with my 6 months old daughter. Between playing with my little girl and working on some game ideas I play some games. Right now it's mostly Dota 2 and Titanfall that is taking my time.

Talk to you soon.

Hi!

I'm Anym. You may have heard my reader mail on episode 135. I only discovered Idle Thumbs with the Saga of Ragnar and am currently in the process of slowly listening through the entire archive in between the new episodes.

Hi

came to Idle Thumbs last year. Listen to every episode since.

I'm 25 and live in Berlin.

Currently I write my bachelor thesis in museum studies about video games as museum objects.

I got into deep into video game stuff around 2008 while still playing PC games prior. Games like  TES Morrowind, Deus Ex, Far Cry 2 (right at home at IT).

Hi everyone

Been listening to Thumbs cast for the past ~6 years, before the break and kickstarter.

Live in PDX

Hello all, I am new.

I've been listening to thumbs for a while but only decided to register here when I heard the forums recommended on the Dota Today podcast. And I've been listening to that as I recently started my own foray into that putrid monster of a game. I'm a PC gamer and apart from Dota, I like playing mainly RPGs - of both the single and MMO variety - as well as indies and the odd shooter.

About myself, I'm a 22 year old student in London who procrastinates by playing video games, GMing Pathfinder and getting drunk rather than actually writing essays. 

Looking forward to forumizing with all of you!

Hi all

I tried to join the forums today but discovered that my username was taken, at first I thought maybe someone fabulous named Janet had registered, but I clicked the "forgot my password" link and recevied an email! I had apparently made this account a month ago and just forgot about it.

I've listened to the podblast for a year or so, mostly for the theme song, and am loving it.

I started playing games on the Master System (with Wonder Boy III and Golvellius) and then moved on to a Mega Drive and then a PlayStation. I started building gaming PCs and playing competitive games on LAN parties and stuff, all the while upgrading my consoles through the Dreamcast and a PS2. Eventually I got tired of all the mess that is not gaming on computers and stopped biulding and upgrading PCs ten years ago to go back to the PS2. I waited until 2010 until I got a PS3 but bought my PS4 at launch.

I realize I just wrote a bunch of uninteresting stuff about myself but Karimi's Guide to Joining Idle Forums is a 404 so I will blame him or her for not telling us how to write these posts.

At the moment, I'm not playing anything but Dork Souls II.

I'm Swedish. Like the fish, not the chef.