Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

Well, I've been meaning to join for a while now, and the 10th anniversary discussion and the guys pointing out this thread pushed me closer, but it was actually Tone Control that got me to register so I could comment on the great Jonathan Blow episode.

I skipped almost all of Nintendo early on, playing Apple II and then Mac and slumming on friends PCs, before buying a PlayStation to return the favor and nearly failing out of grad school because of it. :D

I'm now a solidly budget gamer, replaying PS2 and PS3 games with the family by day, and making tiny dents in the Steam backlog of $5 games by night.

I didn't get into Idle Thumbs until I was hunting for more podcasts, and before the Kickstarter heard one of their reunion panels, thinking "These guys are great!"...only to realize they weren't making the podcast anymore.

I'm now an avid listener, and have really enjoyed the archaeology of listening from episode 1 forward even as I listen to modern episodes. I was even thinking "Hey now, I see Nick Breckon was there from the start, and seems like a good guy. Why doesn't he get any respect?" I now know that he himself is the progenitor of the "Congrats Nick Breckon" meme, and while I know it had a happy ending, could understand the feelings at the time.

I just this morning listened to the Conf Grenade that is the first introduction of Famous Vanaman. It's so weird! Like I'm seeing and hearing foreshadowing that I know didn't actually exist, but it feels like authored drama in a bizarre way.

Okay, after all that maybe I'll post again at the 20th anniversary. TLDR hi.

Hello, Idle people! I have been listening since I heard about Idle Thumbs in connection with Thirty Flights of Loving, which I knew about in connection to Gravity Bone, which I played on the recommendation of Rock, Paper, Shotgun, my introduction to which I no longer recall, as it is lost to the murky depths of time.

Nowadays I am in a situation much like the one described by Austicious, a few posts above, and what with Idle Thumbs, Tone Control, Brainy Gamer, and now The Crate and Crowbar, it's entirely possible that I spend more times listening to people talk about video games then I do actually playing video games. Nevertheless, I am full of opinions about them. I make no apologies for this.

Unrelated: I think Jordan Mechner should make more video games.

Also, a confession: Despite listening to every Idle Thumbs episode, I still have trouble figuring out who's talking when it's not Chris.

In summary: hi

Also, a confession: Despite listening to every Idle Thumbs episode, I still have trouble figuring out who's talking when it's not Chris.

I used to have this problem as well. What solved it for me was watching some videos. The two that did it for me may not be the best choices, but:

The awesome hour-long talk between Peter Molyneux and Sean, and the "let's cheer up" video of Surgeon Simulator: after putting faces to voices, I now have zero problems telling all the Thumbs apart.

Hi

Tl;dr hello.

Just getting active on the forums here, but I joined after listening to Terminal 7, which also happens to be the time I started listening to Idlethumbs. Been forum shy for a while but listening to the late january episode where the thumbs were boasting everyone being super chill here I figured Id finally get active. Im gunna keep this brief for now because im on a tablet, but looking forward to participating in good discussions soon!

So, I'm going to be up-front about this, I am the worst kind of forum hermit; coming down out of the mountains every few years to dispense a single reply's worth of my opinion on some random topic before disappearing back into my cave.

It is a chronic behavior that I recognize in myself, but seem unable to fix, in largest part, because my form post process goes something like this: Step 1. Think of a reply to thread. Step 2. Write reply to thread. Step 3. Edit, re-edit, and re-re-edit reply to thread over the course of several hours. Step 4*. Conclude that while the form is now exactly what I desire the content never had value to begin with. Step 5. Delete reply. 

Is it ridiculous? It is.

Is it reflective of the overwhelming perfectionism that prevents you from creating anything tangible? What are you, the voice in my head?

Yes. Oh. Right.

So that's me. I'm 1DollarWilliam on Twitter. I created the portmanteau Awakalypse (əˈweɪkəlɪps) n. - The certainty that getting up in the morning is the end of the world.

I'm designing some board games, and I have some video game ideas, but going digital is currently outside of my time budget.

Hi, nice to meet you.

*Step 4 (alternate). Interrupt step three by closing browser tab, having forgotten that I started a forum reply.

So I made an account five years ago and made exactly one post on this forum (In this very thread!) and then promptly forgot to ever log in again. The latest podcasts (I'm a week behind) have pushed me to actually logging in and making an effort to join the community.

So hello! I'm Andy! I've sorta worked in the games industry for a few years actually working on games, but now I work at Unity making things to help people to make games. Like many others posting here, I don't really play that many anymore. Life, heh heh, found a way to take my time away. I tend to just listen to Idle Thumbs and Bombcast for any game related stuff. 

Once I played Weinhandler with the Thumbs crew at PAX Prime and that was pretty much the best thing to happen at PAX.

Step 1. Think of a reply to thread. Step 2. Write reply to thread. Step 3. Edit, re-edit, and re-re-edit reply to thread over the course of several hours. Step 4*. Conclude that while the form is now exactly what I desire the content never had value to begin with. Step 5. Delete reply. 

This sounds very familiar.  :)

Oh, forgot to say hi. "Hi."

Hi, everybody.  I've been listening to the podcast forever (ok, maybe just a few years), but never participated in the forums for some reason (ok, maybe I'm a recluse).

Hello hello. I was trying think of a game that I both loved and was quite obscure, you know so I'd look cool. I settled on Rogue Galaxy. I goddamn loved that game.

Also Ray Crisis.

Why use these complicated quoting systems instead of multi-level threaded comments?

I can answer this one! Because that kind of thing is horrifying to look at.

i mean uh hello

I have very little experience in traditional forums of any kind. What's with all these formatting options? Why use these complicated quoting systems instead of multi-level threaded comments? What's the point of signatures?

Answer to all of them: because the entire internet need not be Reddit.

...there isn't a lot of point to signatures, to be fair.

The purpose of signatures is to provide ways for people to e-stalk you elsewhere on the Internet.

New to forums myself and I find it difficult to keep up with any thread that is even moderately active because I'm too busy to check it usually. I think the forum has a system that lets you follow topics but I'm still not sure how someone would make sure to not miss posts directed towards themselves or replies to posts they posted earlier... advice?

Personally I figure if someone really needs me to see something, they'll PM me or otherwise direct it to me in a manner I'm guaranteed to see.   :)

I don't think every discussion system on the internet needs a Reddit-like voting system (new comments on popular threads are buried), but I do find threaded comments much easier to read than quotes.

I think it's a trade-off. Reddit-style makes it very easy to parse individual threads of conversation, but also very easy to lose track of them. Someone responds to a question, and you never see it because the question has already been pushed down (or up) by newer comments.

HEY!

I'm an otherwise employed, very amateur musician working on becoming a very amateur game designer. I've been listening since sometime before horse bag, but after bird noises. I still picture Jake as Big Bird.

Wow you have the best username. Also avatar. Welcome!

Hello!  I just signed up, and having looked around, have noticed there is already an established member here called Twig.

How embarrassing.  I can only apologise.