Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

I used to like Opera a lot because as far as I know they were the one of the first to implement many now standard browser features (mouse gestures, tabbed browsing, speed dial, etc).  The one reason it never became my main browser is because a lot of pages didn't load properly in it.  I still keep an install of it but I don't use it very often.

Please keep fighting the browser wars anew in this thread. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic, I want to see the special Idle Thumbs version of this partisanship.

I use Firefox because it let's me easily steal swfs, MP3s, movs, flvs, and mp4s from everyone's website with the help of a special plug-in (or two). Until Chrome allows me that kind of special thievery, I will not participate. Also Chrome really has a hard time remembering my open tabs and whatever else on restart. It's kind of the luck of the draw if it actually decides to be helpful. Also Noscript is not a plug-in for Chrome. How can my children ever be safe?

Maybe the hello thread is not the best place for this.

Hello, I'm a long time listener and "new" here. This account is actually 5 years old, except I never ended up using it much (except for this silly attempt to archive Idle Thumbs jokes, but I'll pretend that never happened). I've peeked in on these forms and always seen good discussion, so I'd love to get involved.

Currently, I'm a student in college studying Engineering, so I don't get around to play games much (though I did just play The Walking Dead and find myself playing cool browser games time to time).

My taste in games are pretty varied. For a while I played a lot of the classics I missed out on (Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, original Zelda, Chrono Trigger) which was the result of playing so many N64 games as a kid even though we had a Gamecube and PS2 in our house (N64 games were like $10 or less at Gamestop). I've always loved Nintendo games, and I only now do I not have any of their hardware.

Actually, for a while, my main form of gaming was essentially handhelds. They were always my favorite, which I believe is because my first ever game memories were playing on the Game Boy Color (Wario Land 2!). I also had a DS (for which I wrote a "persuasive" essay to my parents on why they should get me one) and a PSP (so much Monster Hunter with friends - all while I argued it was a shallow loot collecting game). For some reason, I always felt that handheld games were the most unique and pushed the limits before indie gaming took hold, especially on the DS (think Retro Game Challenge).

Nostalgia aside, I didn't get into PC gaming until 3 years ago when I made my own computer, and it's been really great. I probably play indie games more than anything else at this point and I love it. There is just so much to play though, that it's almost tiring, so now I just try to get to things as they come up. I always love finding really great but not well known games though, and I may go back into the classics again.

I don't really have a list of "favorite games," but someday I'd like to make a list of games that are most influential to me and kind of stick in my head as awesome unique experiences, because some games really exist as solid impactful memories.

Oh, and one of the main reasons I decided to join is because the game making thread sounds really interesting. It's something I've only lightly touched before, but I'd really like to sincerely try it out. I have to improve at coding somehow (for college) anyway!

tl;dr: I was here once and now I'm back and older and less middle-school-y, I like video games, maybe I'll make one

PS: Because I didn't know where to put this but felt like it was somehow relevant to my weird Idle Thumbs past,

. Warning, going back to old podcasts can be weird and either makes you realize how time works or confuses you more.

PPS: After 5 years of listening, I also haven't managed to play Far Cry 2. Maybe someday... 

They were always my favorite, which I believe is because my first ever game memories were playing on the Game Boy Color (Wario Land 2!).

:tup: :tup: :tup:

Welcome!

Hey [insert one of the corny names for the Idle Thumbs guys from readermail] and everyone else,

I'm a new listener. My first Idle Pod was Cast into my face last fall and I haven't looked back since. Am currently devouring episodes from the archives trying to figure out all the inside jokes. Still have no idea what that fracking puffin means. 

By day, I'm a polisci major hoping to land a journalism gig next year, and by night I play really old games on my really old Toshiba laptop. Was introduced to gaming when an uncle (who my parents to this day suspect of being a drug dealer) bought a GBA for my brother and me on a whim and changed our lives forever. Currently playing Thief: The Dark Project, a hell of a lot of Spelunky, FTL, and any Jason Rohrer games I can get my sweaty paws on. 

In my wilder and crazier moments I aspire to be a video games journalist. 

I heard you guys were cool. Prove me right. 

Hullo, everyone.

Been listening to Idle Thumbs for over a year now, and decided to finally create an account here after hearing numerous times about all the cool discussion/activities mentioned on the cast.  And it's pretty novel that there's such a tight relationship between the community and the casters.

I'm a developer in Canada that works for a major financial company, which is just about as exciting as it sounds, but it puts food on the table and a roof overhead.  Lately I've been playing a lot of Race the Sun, Spelunky, Cargo Commander, and just polished off Binary Domain and Tomb Raider.  I'll play just about anything, at least for a little while.  I'm also a big board-gaming fan, some current favorites are Race for the Galaxy, Tales of Arabian Nights, Galaxy Trucker, and Libertalia.

Look forward to interacting with you all in the near future.  Cheers!

Greetings other people,

I started listening to the thumbs after a recommendation from the Awful forums and always enjoy the in-depth discussion and humor.  I'm just getting back into gaming after a long hiatus and finally building a new computer.  I enjoy pretty much everything other than RTS which I never really got into.  I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and don't really see myself ever doing anything to develop games but I really enjoy discussion of the mechanics of gameplay and what makes games fun.

Thanks for a great community and podcast!

Howdy All!

I'm an indie game developer and recent graduate of USC's Interactive Media and Games program. I typically listen to Thumbs while driving in traffic--it helps ease the pain.

Right now, I'm addicted to THREES! on iOS. Recently, I've enjoyed Broken Age, Prison Architect, Europa Universalis IV (thanks thumbs), Antichamber, Kentucky Route Zero, and The Walking Dead (who doesn't).

If you're curious about what I'm making, check this out.

Looking forward to meeting you all and thanks for building this awesome community!

Oh, hello there.

I listen to Idle Thumbs, though I guess that's pretty obvious since i'm here. It's pretty much my favorite podcast.

Also, I can't stop playing Spelunky, and I do some streaming and coordinating for the community-run Double Fine Game Club.

Hello! I'm completely new. After listening to the most recent Idle Thumb podcast, I decided I should finally sign up and join the forums. What took me specifically to do this was the mentioning of the game making workshop thread, which I'm really excited about. I'm really enthusiastic about making video games, and although my experience consists of messing around in Game Maker, I'd still like to participate. That said, I'm sure there are many other things to enjoy here. I've been looking for a site where discussing games intelligently was a regular thing.

I love the podcasts! I look forward to them every week when they pops up in my pocket cast feed. Oddly enough, I became interested in podcasts through the Escapist's Jim Sterling, when I started listening to Podtoid. Looking for other podcasts to listen to, I found Giant Bombcast and Idle Thumbs (along with Three Moves, ect), and I haven't regretted it since. Thanks!  

Also, I'm an avid language learner and am in the process of learning German, so if there's anyone out there willing to practice with me, I'd love to! 

Hi, I'm John.  

I'm an Irish ex-social game designer and currently teach game design and production.  I try to make games in my spare time... but struggle with making time.  I first started listening around the time of the kickstart through 3MA and like all kinds of games, especially Crusader Kings II.

Hi, I'm new.

I'm a university student stying IT and I like games. Video games obviously, but also roleplaying games and occasional board games.

Came to the forums, because there were claims in recent Dota Today that these are rocking and great forums.

Hey, I wanted to sign up after hearing such good things about the forums from the podcast! I started listening after backing the podcast on kickstarter and I have been a big fan since then. I'm a huge fan of podcasts namely ones that focus on comedy like "Comedy Bang Bang" and whatever Paul F. Tompkins touches.

I'm a college student who is learning about visual media and interaction of said visuals and I like video games? I always kick around ideas for video games and then get scared away whenever I think about coding anything. Though, I did make some real basic games in Gamemaker for one of my classes and I really enjoyed the experience, namely creating assets for the game.

Just today I got a copy of Bravely Default after finding the demo for the game highly enjoyable, I'm a big fan of rpgs in general and these style of Final Fantasy games in particular. 

Hi! I'm Rlan. I'm a game designer at Halfbrick Studios in Queensland, Australia. Big fan of the Idle Thumbs Podcast.

There's a reference to Idle Thumbs in Jetpack Joyride but I've yet to see anyone talk about it. Can you find it?

Hey everyone! I'm Chuck. I've been listening to the thumbs for about 2 years now and probably should have come and posted in here a while ago. After seeing the tenth anniversary stream, this community is just too good to not be a part of. 

Hi! I'm Rlan. I'm a game designer at Halfbrick Studios in Queensland, Australia. Big fan of the Idle Thumbs Podcast.

There's a reference to Idle Thumbs in Jetpack Joyride but I've yet to see anyone talk about it. Can you find it?

Did you write a reader mail ages ago? I swear I remember someone from Halfbrick writing in.

Hi Everyone,

Been a Thumbs listener since 2010. (literally the first cast I listened to was the PAX "final episode."  I went and listened to all the previous episodes and was a little crushed I found it as it was ending.)  I didn't hear about the Kickstarter until after it had passed but as someone who listens to around 4 or 5 hours of podcasts a day at work the guys have really vaulted into the one I look forward to the most each week.

The Tenth Anniversary thing convinced me to join the Forums and I look forward to sustained success for the guys, Campo Santo, and all things Thumbs related.

Hiya

I've been listening to Thumbs for a while, and after the recommendations I decided to reg and see what the fuss was about! I really enjoy talking about innovative narrative structures and fiction in video games (and other mediums too) and I think Thumbs deal with that sort of stuff best. Spend a bit of time coding as well but also recently checked out Twine on a Thumbs recommendation and I'm playing about with that quite a bit and it's awesome.

Did you write a reader mail ages ago? I swear I remember someone from Halfbrick writing in.

That was Luke, who is the designer of Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride. We were both Idle Thumb Kickstarters too :P I've taken over Jetpack Joyride duties since he is working on new stuff.

Hello everybody,
  Been listening now for quite a while, never felt the need to make a post until now.  So I will leave you guys with this alternate universe picture of Chris Remo as a chef. Also robots.

6m8iW9V.jpg