Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

So, this might have been something I dreamed, or a real crazy science idea:  

Get a black hole, and "tempt" it into orbit around Earth, then harness it for energy.  

If this was a real crazy science idea, how the heck would it work?  Would you just have to point it so the "sucking" end wasn't directed towards Earth or anything else important (e.g. the Moon, a satellite, or your latest space station)?

Would you just have to point it so the "sucking" end wasn't directed towards Earth or anything else important (e.g. the Moon, a satellite, or your latest space station)?

Then wouldn't we have a black hole just constantly shitting all over us?

Greetings all! Big fan of games of all varieties, particularly PC gaming, and I also have a soft spot for all things Nintendo. 

See you around :)

So, this might have been something I dreamed, or a real crazy science idea:  

Get a black hole, and "tempt" it into orbit around Earth, then harness it for energy.  

If this was a real crazy science idea, how the heck would it work?  Would you just have to point it so the "sucking" end wasn't directed towards Earth or anything else important (e.g. the Moon, a satellite, or your latest space station)?

Why can't it be both :P!?

The sucking is called gravity, so if you can convince it to suck at one end, then you could probably coax it to Earth!

Then wouldn't we have a black hole just constantly shitting all over us?

The selfish meanie would nom everything and keep it all for itself. A neutron star on the other hand... would generously bathe us in deadly radiation. So that's probably a non-starter too (thanks health and safety weenies)

There is no doubt about the existence of black holes... there are stars orbiting the big one at the center of our galaxy that are so close that it can't be anything else! I look at binary star systems that contain either a neutron star or black hole, and these rip material off the other star. There are substantial differences in the properties between systems containing neutron stars and those containing black holes, so it's pretty clear that the black holes have no surface.

Hawking's presentation details theoretical problems with the event horizon; he presented one suggestion, but other alternatives are available. That's the trouble with theory about the event horizon: we will never be able to perform experiments to confirm theory, so I personally think it's a waste of time and talent. The theorists worry about a so called information paradox that does not exist in practice... Black holes are thought to emit "Hawking radiation" that may cause black holes to evaporate; however, astrophysical black holes are all too big to evaporate by many orders of magnitude, and black holes that can evaporate are too small to suck anything in!

I wasn't aiming to call in to question whether they existed.

Thanks for yer response!

I made Stephen Hawking a coffee when he came into the cafe I work in the other day. It's been the highlight of my career as a barista so far. 

Hi new people! 

A finnish games & new media enthusiast here. Been a "reader" pretty much from the beginning and still loving the cast. Now trying to actually break in to the games industry as a community manager. 

My two greatest achievements in life are 1) A 2011 Sackie award from Media Molecule for (still!) being the reigning king of Tower Of Whoop with a 1 060 000 score and 2) Moby playing a track written & produced by me at Miami Ultra Fest 2008. Evidence provided here: 

Oh and also, hi!

I wasn't aiming to call in to question whether they existed.

Thanks for yer response!

You're welcome :)

I made Stephen Hawking a coffee when he came into the cafe I work in the other day. It's been the highlight of my career as a barista so far.

Wow, that raises so many questions! Does that make me a bad person? It's the curse of scientific curiosity :P

A finnish games & new media enthusiast here. Been a "reader" pretty much from the beginning and still loving the cast. Now trying to actually break in to the games industry as a community manager. 

My two greatest achievements in life are 1) A 2011 Sackie award from Media Molecule for (still!) being the reigning king of Tower Of Whoop with a 1 060 000 score and 2) Moby playing a track written & produced by me at Miami Ultra Fest 2008. Evidence provided here: 

Oh and also, hi!

Holy shit, that's awesome! Welcome to these humble forums.

Hello Idle Thumbs forum!

Just started listening to the podcast, love it so far, so i figured i'd come over to the forums and check it out.  I particularly enjoy PC games with the occasional guilty pleasure of NBA 2k games.  Hope everyone is having a great day!.  

You're welcome :)

Wow, that raises so many questions! Does that make me a bad person? It's the curse of scientific curiosity :P

Ask away. I didn't discuss any scientific whatsits with him. In fact I barely even noticed it was him in the first place until a customer mentioned that they'd seen a famous "Stephen Someone" in the store, and only then did I realise who he meant. Needless to say I was pretty star struck. Everyone was pretty considerate and just left him to drink his coffee. 

I'm also mildly annoyed that my browser has called me out on my spelling of "realise" but not on "whatsits". 

Been an Idle Thumbs listener for awhile.  While working on my food truck (Rig-A-Tony's in Fort Wayne, IN if you are ever around these parts) I was listening to the newest podcast and heard the guys talk about the great forum community so I decided to join.  Robot news is by far my favorite segment so I thought I would select my handle to reflect this.  This article is just the beginning of my contributions to the forums "F-35 Delayed After Fourth Prototype Becomes Self-Aware And Has To Be Destroyed": http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/02/f35-delays-sentience/#ixzz2sNsuIOnK

Been an Idle Thumbs listener for awhile.  While working on my food truck (Rig-A-Tony's in Fort Wayne, IN if you are ever around these parts) I was listening to the newest podcast and heard the guys talk about the great forum community so I decided to join.  Robot news is by far my favorite segment so I thought I would select my handle to reflect this.  This article is just the beginning of my contributions to the forums "F-35 Delayed After Fourth Prototype Becomes Self-Aware And Has To Be Destroyed": http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/02/f35-delays-sentience/#ixzz2sNsuIOnK

Welcome! This seems like the thread for you - https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/6734-the-threat-of-big-dog/

Hey folks. I'm a Midwest-raised, recent Seattle transplant, trying to figure out if I want to do this games thing. I've wanted to make a game since I was a kid, but have always had really poor math skills. So Twine I guess... I also like to write stories and play tabletop RPGs. I play most of my video games on the PC. I also keep a rarely updated games blog around at http://blanketfort.net.

The Idle Thumbs guys had some really nice things to say about you this last podcast, so I decided I'd finally come check you out. You guys seem pretty rad. :D

Hi there. I've been living in Austin for the last few years doing web design and a little video production. I've been getting back into games the past few years after a long break during college. In the early stages on my first game now. You guys seem to be really thoughtful when you talk about games. I like that. I also like podcasts.

And I have a website and things: http://bybrettjohnson.com

Hey guys, long-time listener first-time poster. I'm an illustrator and game designer living in Amsterdam and trying to hack it as an independant creator. So I spend a lot of time by myself at my desk working, and podcasts nicely fill that dead air. Plus I can stay up-to-date on cool game happenings and essential robot news; Sometimes I try to warn people in real life of the impending robot apocalypse but none seem to be as impressed by it as Jake haha.

If you're curious you can check out my stuff at http://timhengeveld.com

Do you have an opinion on how Amsterdam's land-lease policy affects the poor? I've been really curious about it and I have a hard time finding information on it.

I'm not much of a real estate mogul myself unfortunately, I have a modest apartment in the southeast district so I don't know a whole heck of a lot about that particular subject, but maybe you can glean some answers from this document by the city council that explains the whats and hows of it. What have you heard? Any reason you'd like to know more about it?

I have an interest in improving the quality of life for the poor and I sometimes suspect that land-value speculation contributes to poverty. I heard that in Amsterdam people don't actually own land, that they lease it from the government. I figured the results might tell us something.

Hey there, stopping by because idle podcast said they've got a good bunch here.

Me: I am early constantly intrigued by, and working on, games.... which is a fortunate combination otherwise things would be somewhat difficult.

Hey all, been following Idle Thumbs for a few months and so thought I'd say hi.

I'm the producer/lead designer for a games studio called SeeThrough Studios, we're currently working on a game called Particulars. In my off time, I'm slowly but surely working on a board game about gladiatorial combat with time travel (which will *hopefully* be kickstarted later this year, if we figure out how the hell to manufacture a board game).

Welcome CussedCayuse, Brett, hedgefield, gray117, and pdyxs! Hope the forums live up to the wild expectations the last episode's break probably fostered!