Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

Hi.

I've been posting a bit on the forums, so figured I could check in here.

I've listened to the podcast since the Kickstarter, although I now realize that I used to go to the idlethumbs.net news site in the early 2000s when it was, well, a news site. Never realized they were the same until checking the internet archive just now, and recalling the Thumb! Thumb! Thumb! sidebar. So that's weird.

Software developer, worked for a while in the game industry, but now work in Enterprise software. Done a little games writing here and there, you know, like you do.

I recently made a tiny human, so I don't really play games any more as such. But still enjoy the casting of the pods and the posting of the forums and whatnot.

Idle Thumbs is without a doubt my favorite radio show/podcast. After hearing about that amazing Jake Rodkin painting, I wanted to get involved on the forums.

As a kid, spending money on video games never seemed appropriate to me. I had about 60 Nintendo games, but the vast majority of them were hand-me-downs when my friends upgraded to 16-bit. Along with a few SNES games, i played those 8-bit games all the way into the new millenium.

Ten years later, I discovered Idle Thumbs, I bought a PS3 to play Far Cry 2, and I realized how much I'd been missing. Now, after a lifetime of not buying games, I routinely go on PS3 shopping sprees on ebay. So basically Idle Thumbs is the monkey's paw.

Huzzah!

P

Howdy! Listened to the cast ever since I heard about them on the 2012 Oktoberkast! Big fan, and especially love Dota Today. (You know, when it's active...)  The guys always crack me up with their easy going tomfoolery!

Hello everybody, fan of the site, i finally decided to engage more directly

Hi MadTom, seen any of that sweet fungus lately?

What discipline are you in if you don't mind me asking? I'm a grad student in English, so I'm always interested to measure faculty interest in gaming across fields.

I work in a Business school and teach in our Information Systems department. Programming, Networking, Database, etc. However, I also dabble in creative writing (NaNoWriMo for 9 years and counting), so I dip my toe into your world a bit as well.

Hello everyone, my name is Grayson.

I am a Canadian, about 20 years old and I like to party. No one else here parties.

But really, I love games and have been lurking a quite a while and thought that I would join in to expand my knowledge and all that jazz.

Thanks for reading and have a good day.

Hello!  I've been a long time fan of the Idle Thumbs podcast and now am happy to be a part of these forums.

I hope I can meet some new people to play video games with online.

Hello all,

Finally signed up to the forums after listening for a little while now, really enjoy the shows on idlethumbs network some great work and even though I have just signed up to the forums get a real sense of a community around here so figured I'd take part.

Name is Rich, from the UK, playing games for a while now but listening to this show has made me realise that during that time I don't think I really analysed the games I was playing or really thought about what made something good/bad. This show has definitely helped me widen my choice of games and I have slowly moved away from all the FPS I use to play constantly. I still play some but gaming is so rich right about now that playing a bit of everything is fantastic, its so broad, feels like a great time to be playing games.

Byeee xoxo

Hi all,

Been listening to thumbs for about 6 months now and figured I'd finally sign up for the forums. I don't usually chat on forums but this place seems pretty cool and inviting, should be fun.

Bye.

Hello everyone, my name is Grayson.

I am a Canadian, about 20 years old and I like to party. No one else here parties.

But really, I love games and have been lurking a quite a while and thought that I would join in to expand my knowledge and all that jazz.

Thanks for reading and have a good day.

Bravest Warriors wooooo!

Hi guys,

I'm a Brit living in the US, have been for 3.5 years now, and love it! I started listening to the Idle Thumbs podcasts last summer, and really enjoy them. I found them because of a shoutout by Giantbomb,

I have a kinda unusual job (apparently there are less of us in the world than supermodels!) I hunt black holes for NASA :D!

There's a tiny little house in the back garden for the holes.

Oh, wow, my 555th post!

What would you do if you ever caught and killed one?

I would take up supervillainy!

There is literally no real world application for my work that would not destroy the Earth! If academia doesn't work out, I could hold the Wolrd's governments to ransom, and have a secret lair (next to the giant volcano with my head carved into the side of it... that one would be filled with magma)

Anyway, the ones I deal with are already dead, having come from supernova kersplosion-suicides of the hottest brightest stars.

I would take up supervillainy!

There is literally no real world application for my work that would not destroy the Earth! If academia doesn't work out, I could hold the Wolrd's governments to ransom, and have a secret lair (next to the giant volcano with my head carved into the side of it... that one would be filled with magma)

Anyway, the ones I deal with are already dead, having come from supernova kersplosion-suicides of the hottest brightest stars.

Heya welcome!

I'm just a layman But what was your take on Stephen Hawking's refutation of our current understanding of black holes? What's your take on it; do you think that it affects your work at all or are things hunky dory at your end?

So many new people! Welcome!

You guys better be at LEAST as funny as Tolbix. No pressure.

Hello thumbs.

I've been listening to the podcast off and on for the past year or two. 

I like video games, although I've lost almost all interest in keeping up with the constant onslaught of releases, especially considering I already have a massive (non-Steam) backlog that I'll probably never play. I'll probably play Spelunky forevermore and be happy with that. I play mostly on my 3DS, Vita, and PS3 right now, with some iOS and PC thrown in as well.

Man it's been a long while since I saw a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide that wasn't "HAHA FORTY-TWO, GET IT GUYS".

So I guess, thanks, Slartibartfast!

It was mostly a last minute "I need to switch up usernames", but I'm glad! The latching onto 42 strikes me as being the same thing as Portal and the cake: amusing in its initial context, then overused to the point of being incredibly tired.

Heya welcome!

I'm just a layman But what was your take on Stephen Hawking's refutation of our current understanding of black holes? What's your take on it; do you think that it affects your work at all or are things hunky dory at your end?

There is no doubt about the existence of black holes... there are stars orbiting the big one at the center of our galaxy that are so close that it can't be anything else! I look at binary star systems that contain either a neutron star or black hole, and these rip material off the other star. There are substantial differences in the properties between systems containing neutron stars and those containing black holes, so it's pretty clear that the black holes have no surface.

Hawking's presentation details theoretical problems with the event horizon; he presented one suggestion, but other alternatives are available. That's the trouble with theory about the event horizon: we will never be able to perform experiments to confirm theory, so I personally think it's a waste of time and talent. The theorists worry about a so called information paradox that does not exist in practice... Black holes are thought to emit "Hawking radiation" that may cause black holes to evaporate; however, astrophysical black holes are all too big to evaporate by many orders of magnitude, and black holes that can evaporate are too small to suck anything in!