Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

Hi guys, I've been looking for somewhere to have in depth video games discussions, and since they're always saying how great the forums are on the podcast I thought it was about time to come on down. Let the good times and ramblings roll

That Tone Control with Clint Hocking made me realize that working at a game development company is not for me. I have a fondness for things like eating and urinating.

I won't have the skills for a studio job any time soon so I think I'm pretty safe there heh.

Helllooooooooo

My name is Copy Paper. I love Far Cry 2. I remember when Chris was a writer for shacknews.com. I started video games by playing adventure games as a kid, including KQV, Monkey Island I & II, etc. I love a reeeeeeally broad selection of games, from adventure games to shooters to strategy games to flight simulators. Speaking of flight sims, I play the crap out of DCS World, in either an A-10C or in an Mi-8 doing medevac (saving downed AI buddies). I prefer co-op gaming even when implemented poorly, and some of my favorite gaming experiences come from playing fairly terrible games in terribly implemented co-op modes where you both experience a single player cinematic and then magically becoming two people. I also have a crippling addition to minecraft survival mode with friends and Crusader Kings II, where I was once put to death by my own son only to become him.

P.S. Anyone want to play some Nidhogg?

Copy Paper

Hello!

I rarely use forums. Anyone care to tell me how you generally read / keep up with the content posted here?

I methodically go through every bold forum topic each morning when I get into work and after I've cleared it all, I stay on the main screen and check back frequently to attack any other bold topics as they come up. I've gotten a little too OCD about it.

Hello!

I rarely use forums. Anyone care to tell me how you generally read / keep up with the content posted here?

The "View New Content" button is amazing. It's what makes this forum software better than most I've used, and the volume of content here is not so astronomically high that it's unmanageable.

Also welcome new people!

Hi,

My name is Chris and I'm a game developer from Chicago. Thought it was about time I talk with fellow listeners about stuff.

So Hi!

Hi!!

I'm Oscar and I've been listening for a while! After the gang's recommendation this episode I thought I would come and say hello!

H e l l o ! :~~~)

Hello! I just signed up for a forum account. I've only lurked this board a couple days. I'm excited about all the nice things the Thumbs guys have to say about the community, and am looking forward to joining in.

I work in Seattle in software development, but not in games. Maybe I will share more once I get comfortable here and figure out if anonymity is even something I want in this community.

Cheers!

Hey gang,

I'm a game developer from Australia.  It's good to be here.  The forums, I mean.  But also Australia.

Cheers,

Kal.

Hi all, I've been a listener for a long time and a member for a couple of years, but rarely post. I'd like to try to read and post more often. I'm a college professor.

My gaming genealogy: Commodore 64 and arcades --> NES and SNES --> arcades in Japan --> Nethack and MUDs --> Long winter of no games in grad school and when an assistant professor --> PS3, XBOX360, iOS, and Steam after tenure. 

PSN: casparnic, XBLA: casparnic, Steam: casparnic. 

-Caspar

Hello everyone, LTRFTW here, I've done a bit of skulking around the forums lately and I've finally decided to make an account.

I'm an undergraduate student and aspiring game developer from Vancouver (the real one, not that Washington ripoff) and I've been listening to the thumbs since shortly after the Kickstarter. It's since become by favourite games podcast and the bane of my social existence. I've received confused looks when using Chris' unique definition of "bespoke" and none of my friends will engage me in discussions of robot news. I hope to find a new home here on the internet where these inside jokes won't fall so miserably flat.

PSN/Steam: Cyborg771

"Bespoke i/biˈspoʊk/ is a British English word that means a clothing item made to a buyer's specification (personalised or tailored). For most non-clothing items, the term build to order is usually used instead, although the term 'bespoke applications' is often used to refer to custom software built by a company for its own use by a department other than the IT department." (From Wikipedia)

When Chris says it he is usually referring to specific authored content, like a line of dialogue or character model. I asked him about it on twitter a few weeks ago. https://twitter.com/chrisremo/status/420017517004718080

Hi. Fist time listener and the podcast Idle Thumbs told me to come here so I made an account. Super weirded out that somehow the site has my avatar profile pic by default. Anyway, hope this show is as good as advertised =D

Welcome, new folks!

Cyborg771: I picked up that usage of "bespoke" from working at Irrational.

Fobwashed: Nice job on the Patrick sprite!

"Bespoke i/biˈspoʊk/ is a British English word that means a clothing item made to a buyer's specification (personalised or tailored). For most non-clothing items, the term build to order is usually used instead, although the term 'bespoke applications' is often used to refer to custom software built by a company for its own use by a department other than the IT department." (From Wikipedia)

When Chris says it he is usually referring to specific authored content, like a line of dialogue or character model. I asked him about it on twitter a few weeks ago. https://twitter.com/chrisremo/status/420017517004718080

But it's still basically correct to say "bespoke" in that context, isn't it? "Bespoke" means "custom-made for a certain situation," and that's what specific authored content (vs something procedural or whatever) is in the context of video games.

Hi. Fist time listener and the podcast Idle Thumbs told me to come here so I made an account. Super weirded out that somehow the site has my avatar profile pic by default. Anyway, hope this show is as good as advertised =D

You probably have a Gravatar or whatever.

But it's still basically correct to say "bespoke" in that context, isn't it? "Bespoke" means "custom-made for a certain situation," and that's what specific authored content (vs something procedural or whatever) is in the context of video games.You probably have a Gravatar or whatever.

It literally means custom made for a single person though, not a group. Honestly I think it's a good usage of the term, it just isn't in line with the dictionary definition.

Edit: Hey Chris. You said as much on Twitter when I asked before. I think it's a good word for what you're talking about, I just got some quizzical looks when I tried to use it among folks who don't listen to the show.

Howdy, everyone. I've been a long-time listener of Idle Thumbs, but haven't visited the forums until recently. Like Caspar, I'm also a college professor. My gaming experience began in earnest back in 1980 when we received an Atari 400 computer for Christmas, and my neighbor and I began programming text adventures in Basic (in between bouts of Missile Command and Star Raiders). I look forward to participating on the forums more regularly in the future.

Hello! I'm Rahul and have been listening to the podcast for years but am not really a forum goer so hadn't visited here. But then in the latest cast they (again) mentioned how good this place is so figured I'd poke a head in. 

Howdy, everyone. I've been a long-time listener of Idle Thumbs, but haven't visited the forums until recently. Like Caspar, I'm also a college professor. My gaming experience began in earnest back in 1980 when we received an Atari 400 computer for Christmas, and my neighbor and I began programming text adventures in Basic (in between bouts of Missile Command and Star Raiders). I look forward to participating on the forums more regularly in the future.

What discipline are you in if you don't mind me asking? I'm a grad student in English, so I'm always interested to measure faculty interest in gaming across fields.

Hello everyone, 

I too got sucked in by the vortex that was this weeks podcast to come check out the forums. 

I'm clocking in at 35 years of age, which for me means I'm too old to deal with the caustic stuff that happens in most online games, so I usually lone wolf it as I have not been able to find a peer group to game with. 

I figured I'd check out this community. As the discussions on idle thumbs most always amuse and interest me.

For example after the Tf2 economy emails, I started playing TF2 recently just to get a taste of the ecosystem there. During the last sale I bought 5 games only with money I sold from trading cards. ( still trying to figure out the inner workings of Tf2 trading ) 

I listen to lot of podcasts and I love hearing how the video game sausage is made. Idle Thumbs, Tone Control, Giant Bomb, Rebel-FM, Cagcast, sometimes, Three Moves Ahead, Besties and GB Dumptruck as well.  

I love to talk to video games at the same level as someone who's really into films and film making is. 

My gaming genealogy goes something like:

Atari 2600 > NES > Apple ][gs > TGFX16  > Genesis > SNES >  PC BBS /IRC / QUAKE > PSX > GBC> DC >  NEOGEO POCKET > N64 > GC>GBA > XBOX > XB360 >PSP>DS>  PC  and of course arcades arcades arcades.

I've been trying to teach myself game maker recently and making some progress , but I'd love to make at least one game to give it a shot. 

On steam you can find me at sleepyheadstyle 

cheers