Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

Hello,

I'm new here, only been listening for a couple of months now, but I can't get enough. I love video games, and I love talking about video games. So I figured what better place to be than IdleThumbs? After seeing the Idle Thumbs crew on Tested's Octoberkast, I decided to give the cast a try.

I have been listening to the Bombcast for a couple years now and wanted to expand my horizons, this is definitely the direction I was hoping to go.

Huzzah!

Hihi,

I'm not quite sure how I stumbled on idlethumbs, but since I did a couple of months ago, I've listened to pretty much every episode (including also 3MA). I'm currently more of a game-reader than actual gamer, although that's starting to shift again. After playing lots of games in my teens, i got completely off gaming for 6, 7 years. Then, i started watching starcraft 2 as a balance to heady uni-stuff and that somehow got me into reading lots of game criticism (predominantly RockPaperShotgun and the like) and listening to podcasts. I love strategy games (starcraft, ruse, frozen synapse, warlock), but i rarely feel like I have time to play them properly. Instead, i tend to sink a lot of time into "pure mechanics" games like supermeatboy, binding of isaac and, more recently, dark souls and super hexagon. Other than that I greatly enjoy well-told stories, especially in short-form adventure games. Bastion and to the moon were both great recent games, as were the longest journey and gemini rue. I'm also big into Twine games and am starting to write my own stories.

Two titles that Idlethumbs has definitely put on my list of games to play are miasmata and cart life, both of which I own but neither of which I have played.

oh, and i really would like to try DOTA to see what it's al about.

Hello! Although I've been immersed in the world of Video game podcasts since about November 2006 (stumbled across them while trying to figure out if I needed to wait in line for a Wii at launch), for some reason, although I'd heard of IdleThumbs years ago, I just reflexively thought of it as "that podcast I don't listen to." It wasn't until I'd heard about the success of their Kickstarter funding that I had occasion to think through why it was I'd completely written off the podcast without ever giving it a listen. I think maybe I visited the website once several years back and didn't like the logo? Something totally arbitrary like that. Around August, I was travelling a lot for work, resulting in me burning through my whole podcast backlog and needing something new. I downloaded a few episodes of Idle Thumbs to fill the void, and have been listening ever since.

I'm a thirty year old guy, a lawyer in the Washington DC area, and I have a daughter who had her first birthday today. As a new-ish parent, my gaming time has been massively limited these days, although my gaming purchases have been slow in catching up to that fact--I'm currently in the middle of around a dozen games, and just resigned myself to canceling my Dead Space 3 preorder, having realized how unnecessary it is to buy yet another game I don't have time to finish. And as a fan of books, television, and comic books, I've got pretty massive backlogs in each of those media as well. It's occurred to me recently that I'm living my life as if at some point I'm going to get a month long break from working, parenting, and spousing, in which I'll have time to get to work through all my backlogs, despite all evidence suggesting that that won't happen. Basically, I want to be Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode but with better glasses. Perhaps by interacting with the IdleThumbs community, I can get some vicarious enjoyment out of these games that I don't have time to play. Cheers

Hello! While it is true that I've only passed two out of three Turing tests and oftentimes FEEL like I am a hopeless automaton, I'm pretty sure I'm not a robot.

Hihi,

I'm not quite sure how I stumbled on idlethumbs, but since I did a couple of months ago, I've listened to pretty much every episode (including also 3MA). I'm currently more of a game-reader than actual gamer, although that's starting to shift again. After playing lots of games in my teens, i got completely off gaming for 6, 7 years. Then, i started watching starcraft 2 as a balance to heady uni-stuff and that somehow got me into reading lots of game criticism (predominantly RockPaperShotgun and the like) and listening to podcasts. I love strategy games (starcraft, ruse, frozen synapse, warlock), but i rarely feel like I have time to play them properly. Instead, i tend to sink a lot of time into "pure mechanics" games like supermeatboy, binding of isaac and, more recently, dark souls and super hexagon. Other than that I greatly enjoy well-told stories, especially in short-form adventure games. Bastion and to the moon were both great recent games, as were the longest journey and gemini rue. I'm also big into Twine games and am starting to write my own stories.

Two titles that Idlethumbs has definitely put on my list of games to play are miasmata and cart life, both of which I own but neither of which I have played.

oh, and i really would like to try DOTA to see what it's al about.

Welcome fellow DC area person

Hello! While it is true that I've only passed two out of three Turing tests and oftentimes FEEL like I am a hopeless automaton, I'm pretty sure I'm not a robot.

"Hi, Let us fix our attention on one particular digital computer C. Is it true that by modifying this computer to have an adequate storage, suitably increasing its speed of action, and providing it with an appropriate programme, C can be made to play satisfactorily the part of A in the imitation game, the part of B being taken by a man?"

Hi there, or may I say "Bonjour"

I'm a 22 years old person, living in the "City of Lights" (Well, actually, the suburbs) that discovered Idle Thumbs a few weeks ago, when I decided to get into recordings of people speaking about Video Games on the Internet. I started gaming at 5, with my older sister's SNES and continued playing. Right now, I'm really into games with fresh and new ideas and deep narrative experiences. That's one of the reason I love Idle Thumbs.

I'm also a huge music nerd. I'm really into britpop, 90's Indie and Shoegazing.

So there I am, on this forum, hoping to find a new place to talk about games and other stuff in my maybe approximative English !

I'm a late thirties chap living in Sheffield in the UK and what is game.

Been listening to Idle Thumbs since near the start now I come to think of it and was hugely excited by the Kickstarter, which I thought was marvellous fun. Been lurking on the forums as a guest for a while but was compelled to join so I can add my support for things like Proteus and Journey and dissident games and the like. I like situationist and flaneur stuff, also the films of Kimachi Okamoto and cricket and pigeons hopping off kerbs.

Hi there, or may I say "Bonjour"

I'm a 22 years old person, living in the "City of Lights" (Well, actually, the suburbs) that discovered Idle Thumbs a few weeks ago, when I decided to get into recordings of people speaking about Video Games on the Internet. I started gaming at 5, with my older sister's SNES and continued playing. Right now, I'm really into games with fresh and new ideas and deep narrative experiences. That's one of the reason I love Idle Thumbs.

I'm also a huge music nerd. I'm really into britpop, 90's Indie and Shoegazing.

So there I am, on this forum, hoping to find a new place to talk about games and other stuff in my maybe approximative English !

Bonsoir ColinZeal, you had me at "huge music nerd" :P, are you into game music as well (this because you mention the SNES which has some of my favorite nostalgic game music)?, I'm quite eclectic with regards to my music tastes, maybe we can digress and chat about music recommendations some times, stop by the Dancing Thumb in Idle Banter (to do said digression and recommendations), Welcome to the forums!

Bonsoir ColinZeal, you had me at "huge music nerd" :P, are you into game music as well (this because you mention the SNES which has some of my favorite nostalgic game music)?, I'm quite eclectic with regards to my music tastes, maybe we can digress and chat about music recommendations some times, stop by the Dancing Thumb in Idle Banter (to do said digression and recommendations), Welcome to the forums!

Weirldy, I'm not into game music (and OSTs in general). I think I'm not a fan of "purpose" written music. Sure I appreciate Music in games when I play them (except when it's generic wubwub or orchestra non-sense) but I rarely listen to these songs by themselves, except when they're music genres I really love, like Rez or Hotline Miami. I do have some cult classic theme songs that I love like the Kid Icarus theme, but they're exceptions. But I also realy enjoy Chiptune so I guess it's a bit like retrogaming themes.

I saw the Dancing Thumbs thread, I'll happily go post some songs there !

Thanks for the welcome !

I've been listening for a few months now and figured I ought to join up and say "hi".

Hi.

Now what? Oh, right: I really signed up because I've had The Ship for ages and never actually played it, so I look forward to that.

<shameless plug>Also I run a friendly Frozen Synapse league on the RPS forum each month, if anyone wants to get their tactic on.</plug>

Anyhoo. Hullo!

Three Moves Ahead, Idle Thumbs, the book podcast.

Sorry, it was a bad joke. I meant it as if to say, "There are podcasts here?!" :-P

hi, know idle thumbs since the first podcast and really like them! I DO remember the airfield!

anyway, never bothered to check out the forums, but with all the hover.com i think these guys might blow up... ^^

seriously, got my backer postcard last week, wanted to join for a long time. Now here i am.