Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

Hi. I've been lurking around for a while. The book club finally convinced me to register. I work in a large video game studio and I have two difficult confessions to make:

I'm in marketing.

I'm French.

There. I feel better already.

What's wrong with being French? Eric Chahi is French, and he's a lovely man.

Or… do you mean Parisian? :P

Former Parisian actually! Phew. That was close!

Hello! I mean hi.

Finally registered for these here forums. Been listening to idle thumbs for a while, like you do, but never went to the website before. So, now I did. This new site is pretty rad.

I am the same person as the person of the same name and avatar is on SA, though I mostly only post in YOSPOS there.

Anyway video games are pretty rad.

Hell I'm introducing myself as well.

I've been lurking on these forums for ages, but I only registered two years ago. I discovered Idle Thumbs after seeing

of Chris reading out that weird Batman thing (which is still one of my favourite thumbs moments) and have been a strong follower ever since.

I live in Sydney, Australia and can't stop playing Dota 2 even though my backlog is slowly getting more and more insurmountable.

Hello! I mean hi.

Finally registered for these here forums. Been listening to idle thumbs for a while, like you do, but never went to the website before. So, now I did. This new site is pretty rad.

I am the same person as the person of the same name and avatar is on SA, though I mostly only post in YOSPOS there.

Anyway video games are pretty rad.

sup SA buddy. I lurk in YOSPOS.

Long time listener, new to the forums, saying "hi" here of my own free will and definitely not because Spaff told me to. I'm glad that video games are a thing, and that the Thumbs are a thing again.

Given the consistent reference to threads on the Podcasts I decided I should probably explore the underside of the Idle Thumbs iceberg. Don't make me regret this.

Hi, I've been lurking for years and listened to every episode of Idle Thumbs, evangelised it to friends etc. I've made a few posts on the boards already but never got around to a formal introduction. My name is Steve, living in Birmingham UK. I'm a coder but I'm also interested in the many facets of design and music.

I suppose it'd be a good idea to share some stuff I like with you:

99% Invisible is a great little podcast about design (from architecture to Trappist beers) by Roman Mars. I enjoy it so much I backed its kickstarter, as I did for Idle Thumbs.

Radiolab is probably the best produced radio show in the world, you must've heard of it. It's a jewel.

Gary Hustwit's documentaries (Helvetica, Objectified, Urbanized) are all wonderful.

Alfred Hitchcock's work. Specifically Vertigo and Rear Window but I'm still working through his films.

The demoscene. The scene's most popular site is also the most offputting, so instead of a link there have some

of demos I enjoy for their technical and aesthetic qualities. You should download and run them realtime if you can.

Cornelius. His impish brand of alternative and electronic music

. I recommend Point or Fantasma as good albums to start with, but 69/96 remains my favourite despite all its flaws.

BBC 6 Music's Freak Zone. If you're able to listen to this in your part of the world and are of inquisitive taste when it comes to contemporary music, this may be up your alley.

I tend to read a lot of factual stuff, but I'm big on classic sci fi like Bradbury, Huxley and Wyndham. I enjoyed Sense of an Ending a huge amount, but Cloud Atlas not at all. It seems I am the sole dissenting voice there.

Oh and then there's video games. I'm playing Dishonored at the moment with a view to finishing that and trying out some XCOM. When I just want to play a fucking video game I play Trackmania or Burnout, which I love for being honest-to-god video games without all that overbearing pomp and ceremony that's so prolific these days, and crucially can be enjoyed in 45-minute chunks.

Hey there Video game people of the internet!

I'm new to the site, I got here because of the Iddle thumbs podcast. I really like the critical-intellectual-esc, but also we don't take ourselves to serious video game conversation going on there. It has become my weekly ritual to listen to it.

A bit about me: I'm a long life video game aficionado, mostly PC.. My parents wouldn't bought me a console, but you know I "needed" a PC for school. Eventually I got a degree in Architecture, I worked 4 years in it... and all the sudden I'm in a Video game school in vancouver. Yeah that sounds weird because it is. Anyway, I'm currently in my last term finishing my final Video game project, while also struggling to find time to play more XCOM!

English is not my natal language, so I apologize for any grammatical disparity or phasing awkwardness.

I find the idea of a natal language as something discrete and different from the native language extremely fun.

Hi all,

I've bee hearing about Idle thumbs for a while, and finally started listening a few weeks ago. The podcast is great - its really awesome to hear people who work in the industry talking about games. I am working on a game with two friends of mine, hoping to be able to start our own indie studio here in the bay area. Idle thumbs is now a staple of my work day. Thanks!

Hello to the like-minded and the aspiring,

I only found the Idle Thumbs podcast recently, probably through Steve Gaynor's Fullbright blog which I've been following for quite a while.

The discussion and attitude to games on Idle Thumbs, and seemingly between listeners too is of an uncommonly high calibre. So this lead me to think it'd be the perfect place to plant some propaganda.

I want to make games, I have wanted to for ages, but I can't do it on my own (unfortunately, the idea of a one man game dev army is appealing in a kind of power drunk way). I am looking for a programmer to help me with the design of a game and take responsibility for all things binary.

Here's the original post. And what it contains:

I am a CG artist freelancing in the UK (currently at Aardman) working on CG assets for their Digital department. In the final year of my digital animation degree I wrote about 'meaning created in the medium of Video games' for my dissertation, I have read a lot about design, and I'm an able hardworking technical artist. The thing is, I know almost nothing about programming. As you can imagine this is more than a little problem when it comes to game development. So in order to actually begin creating something I'm looking for an inspired, organised, hard-working, motivated, and creative programmer and fellow designer. Someone who can help me craft digital experiences that provoke emotion, thought, entertainment from the player. And in roughly that order. I want to expand this completely amazing medium many of us so deeply love and have great hopes for, if you're someone who is interested in being part of a game that does that, please, get in touch.

So please do, get in touch.

Olly.

[email protected]

In the final year of my digital animation degree I wrote about 'meaning created in the medium of Video games' for my dissertation, I have read a lot about design, and I'm an able hardworking technical artist.

That sounds pretty interesting, any chance I could take a look?

Edit: Oops, I found it on your site. Will read it in bed. Awesome.

I find the idea of a natal language as something discrete and different from the native language extremely fun.

I imagine natal language as the subtle gesture language you speak to your Xbox.

The natal language is the machine's interpretation of how you speak to your Xbox. The Vita language is what you actually meant.

Hey, everybody. I'm El Señor Nuevo Hombre. I just upgraded my computer for the first time in nine years, so I immediately installed Steam and got to downloading Kerbal Space Program.

And then I thought I should introduce myself here.

Hey everybody.

Hi peeps, new member here. The podcast and the bookclub are awesome. Hopefully this site will turn into a familiar haunt for me.

This is the wrong forum for you. We hate video games here. If someone plays them, we'll probably find them and make embarrassing photoshops of them. Or Toblix will.