Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

There are some Thumbs I assumed were teenagers, and was very surprised to discover they were much, much older. It cuts both ways.

You know.... people who are 16 were born after Doom 2. They might even be born after Windows 95 was released.

Just imagine the classics that were released before 16 year olds were born.

Can you imagine that? Then you must be an old fart.

I've been listening to the 'casts for a while but haven't really spent much time on the forums, and I'm wondering whether or not the community has shrunk since the scheduled weekly cast days.

I really hope not, I find that I have more in common with the Thumbs perspective than practically any other in games.

*Tumbleweed*

Welcome, loads of us are still around here! I don't really understand why, but hell, there's got to be something good about this place! Right? :getmecoat

The idle banter forum has blown up at the very least...

Er... that is if you're mostly here to talk about games 15% of the time.

Eeee! ^_^

<('.'<) (>'.')> ^('.')v v('.')^ ^('.')v v('.')^ (^'.')> <('.'^)

Hi I'm Afterward! You are gonna freak out when you see what great thread I'm gonna start, once they let me! It's gonna blow your mind.

Hi I'm Afterward! You are gonna freak out when you see what great thread I'm gonna start, once they let me! It's gonna blow your mind.

Don't you mean, blow us away™? :grin:

A list of my opinions for you to form opinions about me:

Venus Patrol is the most interesting development on this side of video games business right now.

That most video games that receive media attention are DUMB and that so much more could be done. Ice-Pick Lodge, thechineseroom and Frictional Games and few other developers are moving in the right direction by avoiding "fun" as ideal.

That the lack of a common language in which to discuss game design and mechanics limits meaningful discussion, still plenty of interesting thoughts are articulated.

The the player isn't an artist but a rather integral part of the medium.

That Idle Thumbs is the right community for me, even though I don't play very much, because of the cultural exchange going on.

Some other interests: Culture in the most broad sense; academic disciplines such as anthropology, history, psychology, languages; education from both practical and theoretical standpoints; design (form and function of everyday items); interdisciplinary science (SFI is interesting) ad ∞

Cheers

Edited by False Dmytro

What's an apocrypha? You don't have to answer that, I already wiki'd it.