Salka

Weird things

The song American Psycho by Treble Charger makes me feel like im on a roller coaster, and the only explaination I can come up with is that I must have heard it on the way to Canada's Wonderland (amusement park) and had it stuck in my head that day or something.

I dont even like that song that much!

Sometimes when I'm concentrating on reading a book or article and I have a track jacket on with a zipper I put the slider between my teeth and just keep zipping up and down because I like the sound of it and also the vibration that goes through my teeth.

I didn't think I would post something here, but I was just doing the above while reading a blog, with Idle Forums open in another window.

You :cens0r:ing freaks - why can't you be normal, like me?!

When I reminisce about playing Wonder Boy in Monster Land (on SEGA Master System) I recall - in spectacular detail - the dreadfully tacky bamboo arms of a cheap fold-out sofa bed we had when I was 12 years old.

Or when I think about playing Dynamite Dux (also on SEGA Master System) I can physically taste the charcoal dust that coats those fake rocks you get in modern gas fires...

If I get tired enough I'll start to trip out ever so slowly. I'll be dazzled and amazed by being able to move my hands and sound will become all distorted. Everything feels very distant and I get a feeling of falling very slowly.

Maybe that's normal though please be normal, please ?

Anyway, I love when it happens (very irregularly).

When I get tired my stages are: (1)Drowsy (2)Everything is Funny (3) I No Longer Feel Tired but Am Physically Exhausted (4) I Start Using Really Big Words (5) Coma.

So no, no falling or funny noises or appreciation of physical acts. Just a stunning vocabulary.

Ooo Oath, I think I do something similar! Whenever I'm tired, my mind tries to trick me into falling asleep by slowly replacing real actual things that are happening, with things that are happening in my head...

...For instance, when I was in school I would sit at my desk and be so tired that my eyes simply would not stay open. Soon I would start feeling strangely un-tired, but it was okay, because I was still awake and listening to the teacher. And the teacher was talking about stuff I like to listen to. That's so great. Keep talking Mr Teacher!

Then my head would bang off the desk and I would realise that I'd completely made up the last five minutes of the class entirely in my head, and I wasn't even sure where reality ended and the dream started...

That happens to me a lot, like every morning. Every morning my boyfriend wakes me up to get into the shower before him, and I mumble something about wanting a cuddle (excuses, of course, so I can get more sleep). But I tell myself I will stay awake and just relax, not sleep. And then I end up dreaming that I'm getting up and going into the shower and stuff...

My mind tries to pass dreams off as reality so as to lure me back to sleep...

Does anybody else get that?

(I also get the falling sensation when I'm tired... but in a different way. When I've been forced to stay up and I'm just aching to fall into bed and sleep, and there's no mind-tricks going on... I find it super irritating that I get loads of "sudden falling" sensations... just when I want to sleep the most...)

Usually my sense of humour just becomes more and more depraved, until I start talking about drowning puppies in ice cream or fucking ulcers. (True story.) Once though, around when my insomnia was at its worst and I'd been up for several days without any sleep, I started feeling bugs crawling all over me. Freaky stuff.

Kill your inner policeman Miffy. Let the humour out.

I used to be able to blow air out of one of my tear ducts. It made a squeaking sound too. I once held a mic up to my eye and did it through some massive speakers, which really grossed my older brother out.

I used to be able to blow air out of one of my tear ducts. It made a squeaking sound too. I once held a mic up to my eye and did it through some massive speakers, which really grossed my older brother out.

On that note, I can stiffen my fingers and bend them at only the outer joint, keeping the rest straight and rigid. Also, when I was a kid I could make my jaw pop out of the "socket" where it's connected to the skull, just slightly, to make some disturbing, cracking noises. I guess I grew into my head later on though.

On that note, I can stiffen my fingers and bend them at only the outer joint, keeping the rest straight and rigid.

Double Jointed. Many O' People are :clap:

On that note,

how many people can curl their tongues? apparently only roughly half the population can. Count me as yes :wtf:

Double Jointed. Many O' People are :clap:

Really? I've never met anyone that can do it.

Not that I go around trying people all the time, but you'd think I would have found at least one by know. I'm talking a full 90 degree bend here!

As for tongue-curling; hell yeah!

My tongue is stuck to the bottom of my mouth... ;(

That sounds freaky, but it works just like a normal tongue except I can't stick it out really far like most people can. When I was little, the piece of skin that ties my tongue to the bottom of my mouth used to get stuck between my two lower front teeth if I tried to stick my tongue out, and it would cut it and hurt it and make me cry.

I didn't even know that wasn't normal until I met my boyfriend, and he could stick his tongue out really far and I was jealous of that and wondered why my tongue isn't all pointy and awesome and long. ;(

A girl I went out with last year had a freakishly long tongue. Which was nice.

how many people can curl their tongues? apparently only roughly half the population can. Count me as yes :wtf:

I can, and once knew a guy who had one of these super rare tongues.

In elementary school, I knew a girl who was double jointed to the point where she could make a fist on the wrong side of her hand. God that was weird to see.

And yeah, I can curl my tongue.

I can, and once knew a guy who had one of these super rare tongues.

A girl friend of mine can wave the tongue like that. It's weirdly sexy :P

I can snap most of my joints, including hands, feet, knees, elbows, wrists, neck, spine... Some say it's bad, but it feels good for releasing accumulated tension...

It'll feel great when you start to get shooting pains in them all.

The arthritis thing about knuckle cracking is a myth. The cracking sound is gas being sucked out of the synovial fluid in the joint, which gets reabsorbed in about 20 minutes. Cracking joints grants you extra mobility until the gas reabsorbs (which is why concert pianists crack their knuckles), the trade off is slight thickening of the cartilage around the joints later in life, leading to a slight, permanent reduction in mobility.

This message brought to you by annoyed children debunking the bullshit of their squeamish mothers.

Yar, I looked it up years ago when I kept doing it to play the piano comfortably as I figured there must be more to it than just making your bones crack together due to the very perceptible increase in flexibility afterwards.

However I do know someone at the age of 26 who's been cracking them since childhood, and he often gets shooting paint in his knuckles in short episodes; it may be related or it may not be. However, I've also experienced kind of painful feelings in my hands for no explicable reasons at times, like my joints are just generally being wankers. Tends to go quite quickly though.

So maybe not arthritis, but perhaps some other dodgy side-effects. Loss of grip power is another thing I've read in relation to it, which I think must be true as I can never seem to get a particularly strong grip or even make a massively solid fist, but some people I know who I've never seen crack their joints have almost iron grip and can really dig in deep with a whole-hand pinch or something.

Thank you Thrik, that last paragraph provided me with one of the best laughs I've had all week.

I stopped cracking my knuckles when I was little because my mother told me it trapped air in my knuckles and dried out the joints to give me arthritus. Now she's a scientist and knows better and no longer lies.

But I can no longer crack my knuckles. I try, but there's nothing left to crack. I feel cheated. I wish to crack them. how can I train my knuckles to crack?

I had to teach my knuckles how to crack in the first place. It was really hard and hurt like hell. But basically I used the same motion I do now, I just had to press really freaking hard.

I get all my fingers and bend them all the wrong way as far as they'll go; they basically hit a right angle going up from my knuckles, and at roughly this point they'll all crack. If not, I do a kind of wave motion from one end to the other to add a bit more force to each finger.

A superb technique. Highly recommended for cracking efficiency.

See! So efficient it cracks bones you weren't even expecting. :tup:

Another cracking location I've somehow developed is to basically do a claw with my hand, then try to push the middle part/bone of each finger into my knuckle. I can get a pretty sharp crack out of each finger doing this, and loosens them up even more.

My fingers will all drop off one of these days.