Salka

IGN give PS3 "Console of the Year" award...

...who else smells money? ¬¬

I don't believe this award for a second.

Nintendo disappointed some, however, by choosing not embrace HDTV or to compete with Sony and Microsoft in processing power. The Wii can't even play normal DVDs.

There are so many things wrong with that quote. I won't go into them but you know. Jesus.

However, from a hardware perspective, the PS3 is by far the more interesting console.

So basically, the other two might win at everything else, but PS3 is graphically a bit better so it wins?

Though the launch software hasn't blown anyone away, the 360's launch titles were equally unimpressive

So the PS3 can be excused for having crap launch titles because the 360 has them too? And what about the Wii's launch titles? They were great!

Sony's embrace of the PS3 as a computer rather than just a console, and the availability of supported Linux distributions for the console will also develop and will likely bear entirely unexpected fruit in future.

I already have a PC. I don't want a console that tries to be a PC.

What do you think of this award, Thumbites?

And while we're on the subject, why is IGN such a poorly designed mess of a site?

And while we're on the subject, why is IGN such a poorly designed mess of a site?

It's a corporate atrocity run by newscorp.

Shouldn't Sony embracing PS3 as a computer disqualify it from being "Console of the Year"?

IGN has terrible editorial quality in my experience reading it. Grammar and spelling mistakes abound in their uninformative reviews.

Also, did you see that the best controller was a NERF PS2 pad, not the wiimote? And the Zune got the best audio player?!

It's a corporate atrocity run by newscorp.

It's always been like that though, since before the buyout.

Also, did you see that the best controller was a NERF PS2 pad, not the wiimote?

Man, the wiimote didn't even get runner up. And how's this for a cheap shot?

At least you can be sure that if the controller flies out of your hand and hits your new HDTV it won't make a hole in it!

...at least they gave Okami game of the year. There were better games, sure, but the award went to something at least decently original.

That is a bit of a joke, as is this:

http://goty.gamespy.com/2006/

Pretty much everything on here made me cringe, the top 5 Xbox games especially (apparently they couldn't think of ten, but then it doesn't look like they could think of 5)

The reader's choice for PC sports game went to Need for Speed...

On a slightly different note has anyone read E170 of Edge magazine?

I forced myself to sit down and read the accompanying glossy 'This isn't advertising this really is a serious piece of journalism' and although there were some really nice ideas spouted, most of them seemed to involve owning a PSP.

The interview with Phil Harrison (Head of Worldwide studios for SONY) so utterly failed to iluminate anything:

Edge: Was it much more difficult to create the PS3 than previous consoles (sic)?

PH: Yes and No...(sic)

Edge: Do we need to reach a point where downloadable content settles at a certain price, so that gamers begin to understand a general cost of, say, a new car for a racing game, and so on(sic)?

PH: Well, let's keep it abstract...

There was side of me trying to shut up the Anti-Sony bias screaming in my head, and then there was obviously the other side doing all the screaming.

An interesting side note was that neither Metal Gear Solid nor Virtua Fighter were displayed as part of the PS3 pride... Devil May Cry was, and has been touted as exclusive. I also didn't see Tekken there. Could it be too early in development for these? Or are Sony not going to make a big deal about the potentially non-exclusive titles?

IGN has terrible editorial quality in my experience reading it. Grammar and spelling mistakes abound in their uninformative reviews.

Also, did you see that the best controller was a NERF PS2 pad, not the wiimote? And the Zune got the best audio player?!

To be fair, IGN has always been more of a news site than a reviews/editorials site. They're frequently the first to break news that might otherwise not be broken. Sure, Gamespot and 1up get the follow-up, but IGN has been known to hound Nintendo/Sony/MS for questions on specific tech features that may/may not appear in the console until some information breaks.

Reviews and awards tend to be seconday. Their editorial content is divided into sections by platform, so reviews are standardized across a single console, but not across the site as a whole.

I dunno, I think the site is misunderstood. It's definitely the pinnacle of the testosterone-laden "Games should be violent and sexy!" faction of games, but at least the individual editors are allowed to show some personality behind their own individual sections. I definitely prefer them to the sterile "objective-viewpoint" Gamespot. (Or maybe I'm just trying to justify spending another $19.95 to renew my IGN Insider subscription.)

Then again, I've always preferred Gamespy (now owned by IGN, and News Corp, etc.) to everything else. Not sure why, but at least their Game of the Year Awards have some actual text to back up the award.

The Wii can't even play normal DVDs.

ONLY ABNORMAL ONES. Is this still an issue to people? Is there ANYONE that has not purchased a Wii because it doesn't play DVDs?

The PS3 is currently attrocious value for money and will remain so until original, must-have, platform-exclusive titles start appearing on the system with reliable frequency. The developer exodus from PlayStation-exclusive development right now is hugely embarassing for everyone involved. Citing it as console of the year shows no fucking consumer appreciation or editorial integrity at all.

IGN: "Buy this - cuz it's better on paper than the other ones!"

Fuck off. The rest of the Internet were over this infantile, bullshit justification months and months ago. No self-respecting games journalist could reasonably argue the PS3 is better than anything else available on the market right now, because there's piss-all worth buying it for. As it stands, Gameboy Micro is a far more potent gaming system than PS3 for fuck's sake.

Sorry, just makes my piss boil.

So, according to GameSpy, there was only GBA game worth playing for the WHOLE OF LAST YEAR, and that game was a port of an archaic SNES game. Die. The Americans actually get a localized version of Drill Dozer, and no-one plays it? Where's the goddamned justice in that? Seriously, if you live in the US or Canada, and like to have fun, please buy Drill Dozer. It's brilliant. And only, what, two bucks in the bargain bin now or something? Bloody depressing, that is.

That's quite appauling tbh.

Although I can probably see why they gave it console of the year. Blue-Ray is one.

I'll probably wait till it's gone down (alot) in price before I spend my money on it.

Cold

o rly?

When it comes to speed, at least, it's clear now that Blu-ray is the loser, and for gaming applications at least, that speed is apparently killing the size advantage as well.

According to Howard, Blu-ray is slow, and to make up for that they're forced to duplicate large portions of data across the disc to ensure that it can be streamed all sequential like, rather than darting around seeking. Here's what he had to say:

Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity], and Blu-ray is slower…People have done this on other platforms before for the same reasons - particularly the PSP, with its horrible UMD seek times. However, it does rather negate the whole increased storage capacity advantage.

Yes. Apparently, Bethesda, when porting Oblivion to the PS3, circumvented really really long loading times by simply putting the game on the disc twice.

So BluRay's low speed actually encourages sloppy solutions. Hey, it's one way of filling up those CD's.

Yes. Apparently, Bethesda, when porting Oblivion to the PS3, circumvented really really long loading times by simply putting the game on the disc twice.

What's aggravating is that the Sony spin doctors will flip this around into something like, "See?! We told you game developers wanted ridiculous extra capacity!"

wankerwi4.gif

I already have a PC. I don't want a console that tries to be a PC.

Personally, I'd be more than willing to see a new range of Amiga/C64/Atari ST systems. My favourite console/computer is the Amiga, even today, and the way things are going now, we're starting to see once again the console/computer hybrids.

It won't be a new Amiga, but it'll be the closest thing yet. Console-computers were way ahead of its time, but now they're coming back at last. Custom-based computers for the win!

Personally, I'd be more than willing to see a new range of Amiga/C64/Atari ST systems. My favourite console/computer is the Amiga, even today, and the way things are going now, we're starting to see once again the console/computer hybrids.

It won't be a new Amiga, but it'll be the closest thing yet. Console-computers were way ahead of its time, but now they're coming back at last. Custom-based computers for the win!

'

But that is not going to happen except for the very hardcore nerds (who also does this: http://www.benheck.com/Games/Xbox360/x360_page_5.htm).

What you are talking about is basically what the PC is today - a totally custom game console (sort of). This thing of integrating pc-like capabilities into game consoles is part of a tendency where every feature is controlled by the manufacturer (as opposite to the pc, where you can besically chose how it does what you want - and make it do things the manufacturer never thought of). The good thing about this is a smooth user-experience, you'll get this at the cost of a freedom of what you want to do with your basic hardware. This is a case in point with the iphone - it will be a totally nice user-experience. But if apple are denying 3rd party applications development (as seems to be the case as of now) - everything you do is defined by the choices of the manufacturer. The funny thing is that the way a computer is used today is in many cases due to people being creative with an open medium (e.g. netscape) - never because the guys with the money decided it.

oups, suddenly I'm in a totally off-topic rant....

no, The Amiga/Commodore/Atari range of console-computers were extremely user friendly. It was the perfect hybrid by a PC and a console. A PC is far from this. The number of different PCs are too big to imagine, while the Amiga was exactly the same all over the world. Sure, you had optional upgrades, but if you bought a game for the Amiga, you were sure to be able to play it. Unlike the PC, which has a whole bunch of shit to consider, like ram, graphics card etc.

It would also make it much easier for the developers, as they would have one kind of hardware to use.

An Amiga is basically a Playstation, with a keyboard and mouse. So far, the Playstation doesn't do nearly as much as the PC, but the Amiga could back then, and it would work fantastically as well today. It's a million dollar business just waiting to be "discovered". A hybrid console-computer with the ease of use of the consoles and the best traits from the PC.

no, The Amiga/Commodore/Atari range of console-computers were extremely user friendly. It was the perfect hybrid by a PC and a console. A PC is far from this. The number of different PCs are too big to imagine, while the Amiga was exactly the same all over the world. Sure, you had optional upgrades, but if you bought a game for the Amiga, you were sure to be able to play it. Unlike the PC, which has a whole bunch of shit to consider, like ram, graphics card etc.

It would also make it much easier for the developers, as they would have one kind of hardware to use.

An Amiga is basically a Playstation, with a keyboard and mouse. So far, the Playstation doesn't do nearly as much as the PC, but the Amiga could back then, and it would work fantastically as well today. It's a million dollar business just waiting to be "discovered". A hybrid console-computer with the ease of use of the consoles and the best traits from the PC.

There is no way there is marketshares for a new computer-platform (against microsoft/all pc-producers/apple/beos and all the linux crowd) AND a new console (against nintendo/microsoft/sony). I agree that the amiga was really nice - but I think what you want it to do are covered so much by too many players on the computer-market. The hardware/OS/games-console market is not something you break into with ideas that worked in the 80ties/90ties - it will simply be covered between the different players already.

Besides there is the basic dichotomy between playing games on your couch and working (and playing games) at your desk. Maybe the revolution should come from a furniture developer: behold the couch-chair-desk-bed...

There is no way there is marketshares for a new computer-platform (against microsoft/all pc-producers/apple/beos and all the linux crowd) AND a new console (against nintendo/microsoft/sony). I agree that the amiga was really nice - but I think what you want it to do are covered so much by too many players on the computer-market. The hardware/OS/games-console market is not something you break into with ideas that worked in the 80ties/90ties - it will simply be covered between the different players already.

Besides there is the basic dichotomy between playing games on your couch and working (and playing games) at your desk. Maybe the revolution should come from a furniture developer: behold the couch-chair-desk-bed...

Well, the thing is, it's already happening. Look at the consoles, they're currently mostly about gaming, but you can install Linux on the PS3 (for example). You can also surf the internet. It's slowly turning into the hybrid I'm talking about. The Amiga for example could be connected to the TV as well as a monitor. The same can be said about consoles today. You can also add keyboard and mouse to them (well, on the PS3 and X360 at least).

The beauty with this hybrid is that it's completely up to the user to decide what they want it for. If you want to use it as a computer, hook it up to the monitor and add mouse and keyboard. If you want to use it as a console, put it in front of the TV. If you want to combine, add keyboard and mouse, and connect it to the TV. It worked for the Amiga, and it will work today as well. People are already using a keyboard on X360, so I don't see why they wouldn't want it to go all the way. The big selling point would be ease of use and price. Half the price of a PC, and a perfect all-in-one.

We're basically there already. Add a keyboard and a mouse to the PS3 and you have a modern-day amiga, but without the programs and OS. Fix those two things up, and you'll have a winner.

We're basically there already. Add a keyboard and a mouse to the PS3 and you have a modern-day amiga, but without the programs, games and OS. Fix those two three things up, and you'll have a winner.

Fixed.