manny_c44

Interesting bit about Psychonauts

*sigh*

Is this about the GTA comment?

No, it is on a completely different level. It has nothing to do with the subject of your post.

So, how did you find out that I skateboard?

Or is Yufster only posing as Yufster's mom?

Christ, I really am an idiot.

Angry image for Yufster coming later.

A Producer must 5) Ensure the product’s commercial success

Whe-hell, hahaa! At least we'll know who to blame!

Whe-hell, hahaa! At least we'll know who to blame!

Careful... Caroline will kick your ass :)

Careful... Caroline will kick your ass

With that kind of attitude, I'll kick his ass for her.

Well, you're sort of wrong there in seeing the PS2 as the family console. Traditionally that honor is bestowed on Nintendo, because so many of their games have been cartoonish and suitable for .

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but outside of the US / Japan, Nintendo really has no significant reach or brand-name recognition, certainly not to the extent of Playstation and Microsoft.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but outside of the US / Japan, Nintendo really has no significant reach or brand-name recognition, certainly not to the extent of Playstation and Microsoft.

I had no idea. For me, it's probably the most recognizable because it's the oldest of the successful consoles. I grew up with them. Weird to imagine that they wouldn't be marketed through Europe.

But what about before PlayStation? Were video games just not popular in Europe? Who else but Nintendo would have been dominant in the late 80s and early 90s?

Duh... Europe was actually stuck on Atari consoles all the way until the PS1 released ;)

Sega was pretty big - the first seriously popular console in my area was the Sega Megadrive which doesn't exist under that name anywhere on this side of the ocean - but consoles were not nearly as big as the PC games.

Sega and Nintendo were both the Big names in Europe in early 90's

Yeah - I say Sega and Nintendo. And playstation when it was released. And Xbox when that was released. At least that's how it went in Scandinavia. Also PC's are big and have always been (in the sense : since late 80's / early 90's- when it took over from Commodore and Amiga... ).- So I guess we're not so different from anyone else....

But what about before PlayStation? Were video games just not popular in Europe? Who else but Nintendo would have been dominant in the late 80s and early 90s?

'Home computers', in my experience, like the Sinclair Spectrum and the Commodore 64/Amiga, were dominant - mainly in the mid-to-late 80s. The ease of pirat0ring the cassette tapes (or floppy disks) counted for a lot...

After that, the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) was pretty popular until the PS was coughed up. The idea that every home had a NES during the 80s is pretty much an American thing.

Oh, the Sinclair Spectrum! The speccy!!!

But as far as I know (and remember that Ireland, which was actually considered by many a third world country until the mid 80's... or possibly late 80's even, and has a completed warped history regarding any kind of technology) the Sinclair Speccy was no competition for the SNES. When the SNES was released, to my knowledge the Speccy became pretty much obselete...

Of course, this is what happened in Ireland. So it is pretty much irrelevant to anybody from a developed country...

After that, the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) was pretty popular until the PS was coughed up. The idea that every home had a NES during the 80s is pretty much an American thing.

That would be a pretty enormous stretch for the American market too. NES didn't come anywhere close to Sony's current market reach and Sony certainly doesn't have a machine in everyone's home.

Yeah, while its true that everyone had a friend with a NES, not everyond had one at all. Not even ever upper/middle-class white family with two boys had a NES :P

Lots probably did though.

Yeah, while its true that everyone had a friend with a NES, not everyond had one at all. Not even ever upper/middle-class white family with two boys had a NES :P

Lots probably did though.

Nobody here is bitter, of course!