Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Brian Eno to create procedurally generated music for Spore

According to this blog post. And this is a podcast with Eno and Wright, though I haven't listened to it yet.

All I know about Eno these days is that he keeps talking about procedurally generated music. So it's nice he's, you know, actually making some.

Another reason for the NYTimes to spend some words on Spore.

Procedurally generated music? I fear it, and will preemptively deal it one of these: :fart:

Who's with me?

Who's with me?

DUDE! This is BRIAN-FUCKING-ENO and WILL-FUCKING-WRIGHT!!! Nothing will go wrong ... NOTHING!

To go into a bit more detail, Eno is quite a talented guy and has a good understanding of how music "works". With that knowledge, I'm guessing that the music in Spore will be quite ambient, which is a fitting style for procedural music. So I think it's doable, and (going back to my first "point") if there's anybody who could pull it off right, it's Wright and Eno.

SiN

I know, I know. I'm just not big on ambient music. It's a buzzword that hits me in the wrong way, but it could mean a lot of things and turn out to be good or whatever. But, I mean, the Dentist's office has ambient music. I prefer music to not be background noise or something that they advertise on those "pure moods" CD ads. I like music that's hard to ignore.

so woukd the way it works be similar to the proceduraly (sp) rendered environments of oblivion? im not big into this stuff but since im going into programming, i want to learn ^^

so woukd the way it works be similar to the proceduraly (sp) rendered environments of oblivion? im not big into this stuff but since im going into programming, i want to learn ^^

No

actually I have no idea - but as far as I remember oblivion is not really procedural - anyone?

Well, in Oblivion they did the procedural stuff once and then packaged that and sent it off for people to play. In Spore the procedural content is constantly being delivered to the players, generated in real-time, so it actually makes a difference because you can't run out of content. Technically they might have a lot in common, but in practice Oblivion wasn't procedural since all content was pre-packaged.

If that was what you were asking, because I'm not sure.

In fact, after the landscape in Oblivion was generated, level designers went in and changed the details to fit the game.

Which isn't bad!

Sorry, I really shouldn't post in this thread anymore