Sign in to follow this  
Thyroid

How would you do that?

Now that we're all fine, upstanding adults with no great amount of time on our hands because of work, we're all looking for some games that we can finish in a matter of a few hours. The new Sam and Max episodes are a wonderful filler of this.

These episodes form a series, in a way, where each episode is a different story but there might be one adventure through the whole thing. But I was wondering, what if someone wanted to make a game where it was like a show (i.e: the camera worked a lot like in Sam and Max 2, with the close-ups and stuff), but there was one arching story through the whole series?

How would you make a good, story-heavy game where we would spend more than one hour a day on it ... where we would watch it - play it - like it was a show, but where it was rich in interactive storytelling?

Edited by Kroms

You would spend about 5 times longer on front-loading content than a TV show production team does, and pray 30 times harder that it's a hit. Also, your ratings would die in the third season, when the audience began to fragment and lose the plot, and wonder if the writers really knew how to end it.

But when you're reading a novel, you can't just read it for 30 minutes and call it quits because, 200 pages in, you'd get lost.

Eh? Sure you can. I used to do that all the time.

How would you make a good, story-heavy game where we would spend more than one hour a day on it ... where we would watch it - play it - like it was a show, but where it was rich in interactive storytelling?

Play Fahrenheit. Stop after each segment. Fire it up again one month later.

Think what works in that approach and what doesn't.

Come up with ways to fix what doesn't and you may get your answer.

One thing you'll find: season finale sucks.

The arguments on S+M is academic anyway, with it being ported in it's entirity onto the Wii. At least, that's what I sold my soul for.

I don't quite understand why some people think that Telltale employees are all sitting on thrones made from spare Wii dev kits and pulishing contracts.