Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Wii? Fuck Me!

So I finally got the Wii! I payed an obscene amount of money just to get it a couple of weeks earlier than would be possible otherwise. The first moments were brilliant, as I realized how fucking easy it was to use the wiimote while going through the initial setup. After that was done, I proceeded to setup the WiFi connection, and done that the Wii started updating itself.

At some point during the update I noticed that the cursor rotated with my hand and started playing around with that. I don't know if that could have been the cause or not, but when I rotated the cursor a full 360 degrees counter clockwise, the thing suddenly hanged, or at least seemed to -- sounds stopped and the cursor stopped moving, the progress bar had almost completed. I waited for a while, and then thinking it had crashed, turned it off.

Now it won't even boot. I've tried a thousand times. Sometimes the first screen comes up, but sometimes theres just a black screen. I suspect it didn't actually crash but was doing a firmware update... Could that be?

Anyway, I'll probably see if I find any help on some forums and if not, take it back to the store tomorrow so they can send it back to be repaired or whatever and wait probably an obscene amount of time before I get it back. It was so fucking brilliant of me to pay a bit more to actually get it somewhat later that I normally would have.

Ah yes, the infamous turning-the-cursor lockup. It's a failsafe system Miyamoto implanted into the console. You see, all terrorists do that, it's like an obsessive compulsive habit. That way, the Wii can't be used for terrorist purposes.

Update: I tried again and if I go really fast I can click through most of the setup menus before it crashes.

So what it basically does is: work fine for 10-20 seconds and then crash. Sometimes it already happens in 5 seconds. Could something be overheating?

I mailed Nintendo yesterday, no answer so far. Maybe I should call them instead.

[update]even managed to boot up Wii Sports! And then it crashed again at some "press A and B" screen. So it seems to just crash randomly...

Wiiiiiiiiiiii! I got a replacement yesterday. Wii Sports is pretty cool, although the controls are a tiny bit less responsive than I expected. Definitely not bad for a launch title, though.

Warioware is awesome! Although I can't compare it with the previous Wariowares or similar mini games as this is the first one I've played.

I also got Zelda, but haven't played very long yet. Any other games I should get? I'm thinking Wiiplay, but it wasn't available yet.

For some reason the game manuals are in Swedish...

And WiiConnect24 isn't avaiable unless I select another country.