Sign in to follow this  
Nachimir

DS Motion Sensing

Someone has started making a DS card with an accellerometer in it.

Of course, this takes up slot 1, meaning it will never work with official games, only homebrew on flashcarts. Passmes also take up slot one, so it requires anyone who uses it to reflash their DS firmware.

There are already some homebrew toys/games available for it, shown at the bottom of that page, including the obligatory

. Plenty of ideas floating around for it too. From the GBADev thread on it:
This could be used to make some sort of “hot potato” game or some other game that sense when the DS is being thrown - anyone up for tossing their DS around?

Hehe! I was going to wait until a year had passed before voiding my warranty, but :grin:

Someone has started making a DS card with an accellerometer in it.

Of course, this takes up slot 1, meaning it will never work with official games, only homebrew on flashcarts.

No reason an official version couldn't be produced in a GBA-style cart instead, though.

In fact I'm struggling to see how the designer(s) failed to do this themselves anyway, leaving the DS slot free for DS software as intended. They could then perhaps have mapped in some sort of D-pad override, so that you could tilt your DS around to control your existing DS games. Something like that for movement in, for example, Metroid Prime: Hunters would make it a much more comfortable - and perhaps accurate - game to play too, I think. :tup:

Imagine how a fully-analogue version of Marble Madness would play on that though, tilting the DS around to guide the ball through the course! :eek: I guess that this might also fit quite neatly with Super Monkey Ball too, but I've never played it (much to my shame) so I've no real idea in this respect.

Still, it's an exciting piece of kit as it is -- good find.