Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Sixaxis controller wins emmy... what?

Remember those crappy animated .gif "awards" you'd see on websites circa 1998? I think there's a convergence of meaning going on ;)

There was a fantastic impromptu, undocumented rant against the BAFTAs at GameCity, mainly stating that games don't need a pat on the head from tv/film and it's just embarassing to have game BAFTA awards immediately followed with "Best Website".

(Best if I don't give attribution)

Hell, the GBC had tilt sensors. Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble (1999, I think?) had 'em way back in the day. Followed up on the GBA with Yoshi's Topsy Turvy (or Universal Gravitation, depending on where you live) and WarioWare Twisted. Way to go, Sony! Innovation awards for tech we've been using for 8 years! You gotta admire the balls it takes to get away with that.

EDIT: :colbert:

I saw this, this morning and had exactly the same "WTF?" reaction. Sony has publically announced its design failures with regards the controller several times (first it was "oh no, motion sensors and rumble are impossible" and then it was "oh no, we can't do both cheaply enough", both of which are things their competition has achieved). That's the most conspicuous aspect to me. Not to mention the fact that no one has demonstrated the worth of its motion sensors yet, or that almost everything else about the controller is a 10 year old design, or that endless mumbling about how the charging/battery setup is inferior to the 360's controller.

It screams money hats, as Marek rightly points out. I hope someone somewhere has the balls to run a "Sony buys design award" headline.

Yeah Sony bought the award as their controller is not brilliant (move the damn sticks, do it now!) blah blah, but SpiderMonkey how is the charging / battery setup inferior to the 360's???

The sixaxis has an included rechargeable battery pack and is rechargeable via a standard USB to mini-USB cable. The 360 controller on the other hand has to be run off of AA batteries unless you buy the separate battery pack and proprietary charging cable.......

(note I'm still disappointed that nintendo didn't have rechargeable controllers at the outset, those included batteries don't last nearly long enough)

I don't understand why people complain about Nintendo not having a charger.

Just buy a AA-AAA charger. Then buy several packs of batteries. Put them in everything in the house. Forget about buying batteries for a long time.

A decent charger can be found for $20, though it may cost a bit more if you don't like buying things made by Sony.

Hell, the GBC had tilt sensors. Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble (1999, I think?) had 'em way back in the day. Followed up on the GBA with Yoshi's Topsy Turvy (or Universal Gravitation, depending on where you live) and WarioWare Twisted. Way to go, Sony! Innovation awards for tech we've been using for 8 years! You gotta admire the balls it takes to get away with that.

Ooo I stand corrected. It's a good job Sony thought up the idea in the first place then

Did the wiimote not win!?

How could they even compary.

Sixaxis was supposed to be poorly integrated and rushed and the Wii is just... Wii.

Granted that I haven't been, shall we say, looking, but I can't think of any time that I heard/read/saw any praise for anything with the PS3 tilty. At least that's out right now.

I read something for Army of Two that sounded neat, but everything else seems too tacked on/gimmicky.

Warhawk (I think its called) notwithstanding, of course.

Did the wiimote not win!?

How could they even compary.

Sixaxis was supposed to be poorly integrated and rushed and the Wii is just... Wii.

I think it's just billed as a special recognition award, not a "Best New Controller of the Year" award. Still, any reputable organization would have given such an award to the Wii Remote. All the other remotes are just imitating.

:waluigi:

Sony's Kaz Hirai on the abysmal failure of Sony's intended world wide launch:

"a worldwide launch for any console is quite ambitious. In fact, it has never been done before. I suppose if we had simply done a mild upgrade to the PS2 and not pushed the envelope so hard, it would have been easier on ourselves. However, if we did that every time, we wouldn't be Sony."

taken from: http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/

It's a very strange quote. You get what he INTENDS to say... but what he actually says is very different.

NINTENDS

All of Sony's best ideas seem to come from good Nintentions.

QUOTED!