Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Xbox 360 version 2 update (HDMI, better processor) ?

Engadet thinks so.

xbox_zephyr.jpg

If this is true, it'd be tempting to sell my current xbox before the masses get wind of this. My xbox 360 also has the older, noisier cd drive (the one that sounds like a Boeing 707 preparing for takeoff).

That might be a smart move, if you can bear a few weeks or months without the console. Of course, for me it's good news, because I'll get an upgraded version when I buy it in a few months. Not that I'll be able to enjoy 1080p yet, as I don't even have an HD tv, but that's of little concern.

I wouldn't know. Won't that depend on the game? As soon as the 360 supports 1080p, why couldn't developers make their games for that resolution?

Otherwise, you know... what's the point?

Isn't the 1080p upscaled from 720p anyway (in games)?

Yes. Perhaps even something lower than 720p too.

I don't mind the noise the 360 makes, it's about on par with my computer. Wouldn't complain about a larger hard drive though, but I don't care about HDMI either, as VGA is fine for me. That said, I like having the latest gadget, so I hope there'll be some not too expensive ways of trading my current box for a new one in stores.

Even if this is the case, I don't think I'd bother with the hassle of having to transfer all my stuff over. Again. You know that if you if you redownload Live Arcade games onto a different console after you've downloaded them on your original console, then you'll only be able to play them online?

Yep. Found that out when my launch 360 spazzed out whenever I tried to play a movie on it.

I wouldn't know. Won't that depend on the game? As soon as the 360 supports 1080p, why couldn't developers make their games for that resolution?

Otherwise, you know... what's the point?

Well, it would be very uneconomical for developers. If the majority of the userbase can only have 720p, why spend the effort to upgrade to 1080p? You'd lose a large chunk of available processing power and memory, because more pixels would have to be rendered and higher-res textures would have to be loaded.

I think Microsoft is only adding 1080p support so that it can say that it's theoretically supported, and so that it can output 1080p movies from the separate HD-DVD drive.

Aussie Ben: I haven't yet purchased any Live Arcade games so that would not be an issue for me. Althooough I am getting review copies of some games next week, so it would become an issue then. Crap.

Aren't the publishers taking notice that the Thumb rarely updates and there's only a minute chance a review copy will actually spawn a publication? Or is it for something other than IT?

If you're on press lists for multiple sites or magazines you usually stay on them. Also judging by some of the mailings I get, some PR agencies are deliberately targeting smaller grassrooty sites and blogs.

There's probably a 50% chance I actually review something that comes in. I get weird shit all the time. What am I supposed to do with not one but two copies of Ship Simulator 2006?

Instant Idle Thumbs contest! Ship Simulator is something people will work their butts off for! (or maybe that one calls more for a random, unsollicited draft)

But wow, you review 50% of what you get? I rarely read anything from Marek Bronstring, so it must be on some secret, personal blog! ;)

Marek, for the longest time I thought your name was just a cool-sounding nickname. When I found out it's real I sacrificed some blood to a pagan god.

Marek: putting the "e" in Mark.

Wow, we've really gone offtopic. Mea culpa. Back to the trois cent soixante.

If I get one, it won't be in another, oh, four months at least. Wait, Bioshock comes out in June, right? When will Mass Effect be released?

Damn. I just bought xbox 360 two weeks ago. Now what am I supposed to do with this outdated piece of machinary.

Depending on what leaps the new version makes, I could be tempted. 'Course, if I traded in my old Xbox, I'd hold onto my current hard drive so I could keep all my arcade games in their "able to run offline" state. It's all about the heat for me. The noise doesn't bother me, as the thing sits on the other side of the room when I'm playing and as such is never noticable enough to be a problem. If they can make me more comfortable leaving it on for long stretches of time though, I may have to swap up.

'Course, if I traded in my old Xbox, I'd hold onto my current hard drive so I could keep all my arcade games in their "able to run offline" state.

Ah ha ha ha! Yes, you'd THINK it would work that way, wouldn't you! But no! It's tied to the hard drive AND THE CONSOLE! So if you swap your hard drive to the new console, welcome to online-only city.

I have heard vague details of people complaining to Xbox Tech Support about this, and being credited MS points so that they can literally re-buy their games, but I've also heard about the exciting Xbox Tech Support Tales, such as the Indian Nightmare "I don't care if you bought it a month ago, according to our records, your warranty has expired". Wheeee!

Sounds pretty neat if it's quieter. That's the main thing that's stopping me from buying one at the moment (that and the price).

I wonder what this will mean for Microsoft's relationship with its customers. No one paid any attention to PS2's various hardware revisions (obviously the PS2-thin aside), but yet there's all sorts of gossip about the mere hint of an upgrade. I guess that's the nature of the internet these days, where even the most miniscule piece of shit can be major news for half a day. But I wonder how well the early adopters - a company's most loyal customers - will take to having their purchase rendered inferior. Maybe they can get away with it these days, where it's assumed that your purchase will be inferior within a year (phones, iPods, etc), but it's certainly new territory for consoles.

Well, it would be very uneconomical for developers. If the majority of the userbase can only have 720p, why spend the effort to upgrade to 1080p? You'd lose a large chunk of available processing power and memory, because more pixels would have to be rendered and higher-res textures would have to be loaded.

I thought the majority of the userbase could only run in 480i.

Spidermonkey; it's certainly not an Xbox-exclusive lamentation. The Wii is also getting an upgrade around halfway 2007. So I guess it's just the sign of our times. But I don't think it's such a bad way to do things. After all, it prevents consoles from becoming obsolete after a few years, and gives newcomers a nice incentive to buy it.

Spidermonkey; it's certainly not an Xbox-exclusive lamentation. The Wii is also getting an upgrade around halfway 2007. So I guess it's just the sign of our times. But I don't think it's such a bad way to do things. After all, it prevents consoles from becoming obsolete after a few years, and gives newcomers a nice incentive to buy it.

Really? What new is coming to the Wii? Unless you are talking about the Japan only version with the DVD player.

I don't really know, I've just heard rumors. Aside from the colours, maybe some firmware upgrade or something? Something that you can't just download. But I don't know. It's just that the 360's tale sounded familiar.

I thought the majority of the userbase could only run in 480i.
Erm, yes, you are correct. I don't know why I said that. I guess what I meant was that the majority of Xbox 360 users with HD expectations have 720p.

The rumors about the Wii upgrade mentioned something about an improved wrist strap and improved infrared signal and little things like that, but no new features. Then again, they're just rumors, like this old one.

But I wonder how well the early adopters - a company's most loyal customers - will take to having their purchase rendered inferior. Maybe they can get away with it these days, where it's assumed that your purchase will be inferior within a year (phones, iPods, etc), but it's certainly new territory for consoles.

Early adopters don't care because they're early adopters. They know the drill.

As to the bolded point: people have a short memory...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variations_of_the_Sega_Mega_Drive

I don't ever remember it being an issue in those days. Granted, we didn't have the fucking ADD internet around back then to pound you with the most insignificant bit of news over and over and over again like a boot stamping on a human face--for ever.