LOPcagney

How did you find Idle Forums?

I truly don't know. Magic possibly. For some incomprehensible reason I have just hanged around. Now for example I should really be finishing a paper on war-research in prehistory which is due tuesday - but nooo - idling it is...

I truly don't know. Magic possibly. For some incomprehensible reason I have just hanged around. Now for example I should really be finishing a paper on war-research in prehistory which is due tuesday - but nooo - idling it is...

theinternet.gif

theinternet.gif
That is so my situation. Except for the girl wearing a bra.

EDIT: I feel so inferior now

theinternet.gif

But why is the girl wearing a bra - that is surely wrong.

EDIT: HAhahaa - same post at the same time - how beautiful

Disonaurs with party hats > Dinosaurs.

That equation does not always hold, in our Christmas crackers this year we got these strange polythene/latex party hats, putting them on made u feel like u had a broken condom on your head. Those would certainly reduce the greatness of a dino-saw.:devil:

Edit

However if u were describing their mass it is true

I don't remember exactly how I found the site, but I beleive it was when I was digging for Psychonauts info a few years back and found it on either mixnmojo or some tim schafer fan site. I lurked the forums for a while before I finally joined not too long ago.

I guess I technically came from adventuregamers.com. I didn't use that site much (and still don't), but I randomly happened to be there around the time there was some sort of announcement about Idle Thumbs. I immediately noticed that Idle Thumbs was some sort of Video game website that didn't completely suck (unlike almost all the others).

I didn't use the forums then, because Idle Thumbs still had articles. Once the articles vanished, I kept checking back, hoping that "today would be the day they post a new one!" Eventually, I realized that the forum headlines on the right were still changing, even though the site wasn't, and I got the brilliant idea to start posting. (This was under the assumption that, you know, it's the internet, and no one would mind.)

I was much the same as Lobotomy. I hung out around adventuregamers, saw they were making Idle Thumbs and thought the articles and news stories were a step above the ones I'd been reading on the larger gaming sites. Then the articles stopped, so I joined the forums!

I don't hang out on adventuregamers forums much any more because they seem to just continually rehash the same stuff.

It's amazing how 95% of our forumship (and I assume the majority of our readership) came from AdventureGamers.com and Mixnmojo. I guess we did a poor job promoting the site everywhere else on the nets.

:stan:

God told me to come here....He sure works in mysterious ways.

I don't remember exactly how I found the site, but I beleive it was when I was digging for Psychonauts info a few years back and found it on either mixnmojo or some tim schafer fan site. I lurked the forums for a while before I finally joined not too long ago.

This is sort of my story, except I didn't really lurk because I'm a twerp who won't shut up.

It seemed like Psychonauts should have come out by now (this was a while before the Majesco announcement), and I hadn't really played any games in a while but wanted to play Psychonauts if and when it ever came out. I eventually found Moos' great Tim Fandango (which I guess is gone now or the URL changed?) and that linked to something Chris Remo said here. I didn't know that Tim Fandango was related to MixnMojo (I don't know what MixnMojo is) until someone told me so the last time this thread subject popped it up. So I thought I was different, but I guess I'm not different at all.

So, I was very surprised to find a collection of intelligent people with communication skills, and I kept coming back even after finding out what was up with Psychonauts. I just turned 25, if that's important to you.

I'm also a journalist and film critic, and like the site so much I've been meaning to write something pro bono for a long time, just to add some new content. I still have a half-written article-to-end-all-articles on cinematic adaptations that I wanted to submit shortly after the release of "Silent Hill." Unfortunately, I was too busy to finish the damn thing.

Sigh. Idle Thumbs was pretty cool back in the day. It's really cool that everyone who stuck around did so because of the quality of the articles. We always had very high quality standards, which really did amazing things for us in the beginning, but I think it also became our downfall in the end (along with everyone getting new jobs).

This thread moves me to say that we've got a plan to bring the site back to life but it will be taking a less ambitious direction. It depends on whether we can ever get the coding/design together.

I eventually found Moos' great Tim Fandango (which I guess is gone now or the URL changed?) and that linked to something Chris Remo said here.

heh. Something happened with Mixnmojo's server last year around the time of the launch of Sam & Max. The site never made it back up after things got sorted out. I suppose I should get around to talking to someone about it.

Sigh. Idle Thumbs was pretty cool back in the day. It's really cool that everyone who stuck around did so because of the quality of the articles. We always had very high quality standards, which really did amazing things for us in the beginning, but I think it also became our downfall in the end (along with everyone getting new jobs).

This thread moves me to say that we've got a plan to bring the site back to life but it will be taking a less ambitious direction. It depends on whether we can ever get the coding/design together.

The Thumb is actually in a comfortable position here: there's a nice little community that doesn't expect any real huge content shifts anymore and is sticking around because of the community itself. So any changes in the format, should they work, will be well received. I don't mind less ambition if it means some more actual content on the site itself. I'm sure it will still be high quality, critical writing. So I'm looking forward to that.

I also had plans or actually wrote some more things for IT than were actually published. I guess they never came through due to the really high standards. Those are good in my opinion, but I just wasn't really professional enough back then to deal with the rewriting and sticking to it. I'd fare better now, but at this junction there's almost no point in publishing a scarce article here if it isn't part of a biggest broadcasting. So maybe the new format will prove more durable and better suited for the occasional guest article.

I liked the site most back in the short period when it featured both Throwback Thursdays and Idle Thumbs Articles, because one could find in TT the passion and a real vision in the articles... it was really enjoyable.

Err, why would you want to change the design/code? It's find as it is , right ?

Dude, it's about a decade old in internet time, and coming up to like three years old in actual time. It's never too early for a refresh!

Dude, it's about a decade old in internet time, and coming up to like three years old in actual time. It's never too early for a refresh!

So if you're a dog browsing the web, does it move in dog years, internet years or is there some scaling factor involved? Please, I have to know!

joined after reading the article on (and buying) Gibbage, that indie-platformer from around the same time.

Good man! Are you on the Gibbage forums too?

I found The Thumb through ukresistance or adventuregamers, back when I was working as a tape-monkey, sitting in a basement through the night copying 100s of VHSs of shitty nature programmes and the like. Reading these forums is inextricably linked with the voice of Janet Ellis telling me how wonderful caribou are. Which is no bad thing.