miffy495

Navarro lashes out

Oh right.. end of the year... Time for all those lame "best of" lists.

[after seeing the movie]

wth... that many people bought Jaws unleashed ?!

The other categories are interesting too. This "dubious awards" actually doesn't look like a very lame list.

What I don't get is that they complain about the Burger King king in Fight Night Round 3 for the "Most Despicable Use of In-Game Advertising" category. And not about the name "Dodge" that is played every 5 seconds (well at least in the video).

Interesting to note is that they tell all these games are so bad and nobody should buy them, they have nice "buy it" and "check prices" links on that page for those games.

Interesting to note is that they tell all these games are so bad and nobody should buy them, they have nice "buy it" and "check prices" links on that page for those games.
No, that's not very interesting to note. You really think they should switch off their automated affiliate links? They are ads, not editorial content. They're standardized throughout the site and handled by a seperate team.

Well I though it was interesting to note. Because they could have made an exception on that page.

Anyway. They have quite some awards. 20 special achievement awards. 8 dubious honors awards. 10 genre awards and 10 platform awards. (so erm.. 48 awards in total)

But at least no odd sponsored awards.

So, heh *nervously glances at camera* ... another award thingy? *begins sweating profusely, occasionally giggling*

They're just soooo awkward.

Is Red Steel THAT bad? I thought people judged it mediocre, at worst, but not 'bad'.

That's what I thought. :erm:

Likewise for Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting - they should be whipped for even suggesting such a thing. :finger:

Well I though it was interesting to note. Because they could have made an exception on that page.

I know for a fact I've intentionally bought films from IMDb's Worst 100 list (Theodore Rex being a particularly proud part of my collection) so being labelled the worst video games might actually boost their sales.

Theodore Rex isn't in the bottom 100, it doesn't have enough votes.

I know for a fact I've intentionally bought films from IMDb's Worst 100 list (Theodore Rex being a particularly proud part of my collection) so being labelled the worst video games might actually boost their sales.

It might work with movies -- you are just passively watching and only waste 2 hours or so. But spending 10 hours playing a game that is crap -- hmm...

Bad games are almost never unintentionally funny unless it's a FMV game. What may be funny for 5 minutes becomes painfully boring 5 hours later.

Has anyone actually played Jaws: Unleashed?

The In-game cutscenes are terrible the story lacklustre, but when it comes down to the basic fact that you roam the seas ripping everyone and everything apart, I got a kick out of it.

The reporters also failed to mention that it was released at the end of the the PS2's and Xbox's life spans when clingers on will buy anything. Majesco smartly released it at around 30$ cdn. And for that people will pretty much buy any old shit.

Good point made about Psychonauts though , and I will continue to applaud journalists pointing out where it all went wrong in the hope that a few more people might go out and buy that game. But Jaws: Unleashed, worst game?

How about starting with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance? Overpriced, easy, and boring.

The In-game cutscenes are terrible the story lacklustre, but when it comes down to the basic fact that you roam the seas ripping everyone and everything apart, I got a kick out of it.

I think the concept of Jaws Unleashed* captured people's imaginations more than anything else. It certainly piqued my interest (even though I didn't expect much from the finished game).

* Who'd be stupid enough to try putting a 14' Great White on a leash in the first place anyway?

:shifty:

The only reason Jaws won that award because all the other games were more than half decent. I mean, Red Steel wasn't bad, and neither was Scarface (Or at least I believe so).

Oh PUH-LEAZE! I've played worst game this year!

Of course, they want "populae bad games"....

I bet all those people who hate Red Steel just suck at the game, way too many people say a game is bad because they can't beat it...:shifty:

Hey now, not so fast. I used a gift certificate to pick up Every Extend Extra earlier today. Haven't played it yet, but dammit it's Mizuguchi.

Yeah, got it for Lumines and GTA last August. Since then, the only other things I've found worth playing have been the MGAs and Loco Roco. Oh, and I imported Gitaroo Man, but as it's an import, I don't count it.

Wipeout, Lumines (1/2), Lemmings, Katamari, Loco Roco, Metal Gear Acid (1/2), Metal Gear Solid: PO, Exit, Every Extend Extra, Gitaroo Man, Gunpey ...

... yep, *huge* shortage of great, original PSP games. :shifty:

SiN

I played a demo of Exit 2 on my brother's PSP and here's how it went. The first two minutes I was enjoying the art style, the flair and the possibilities a 2D Prince of Persia-esque game like this brought. Then I discovered that the game suffers from terribly old-fashioned design and spent the rest of my playing time getting increasingly frustrated. Moving is incredibly slow and almost cumbersome; even in the first few levels you can only succeed by trial and error as there are dangers the game doesn't inform you of or hint at; but the most annoying is the outdated mapping of the buttons. Instead of having a single action-button that adapts to the situation (with maybe an additional back-up button) Exit has one button for opening doors, one for picking up stuff, one for crouching, one for using items, one for etc, etc. I hate it when designers get sloppy with controls.

The premise of the game is really nice, but the execution is :tdown: (save for the visual style)

Actually, I forgot about Exit. That's one that I really liked. As for the others on your list, Katamari was good, but derivitive. Wipeout, well, I don't really like racing games, so there's no interest there. Lemmings is good, but frankly feels like it wore out its welcome a long time ago. They just can't recapture the original magic. MGS: PO and Gunpey I am interested in, but as they just came out recently and I haven't had a chance/the disposable income to pick them up yet, I can't say one way or the other. Today's purchase of EEE was the result of a tough choice between those three actually. Lumines 2 was also tempting, but I have the original and Xbox 360 versions, so I can wait a while for it.

I have nothing against my PSP, I quite like it. It's a very slick piece of hardware. I just wish that after almost two years, there were more than 7 (perhaps 9 once I've played MGS and Gunpey) games that I could wholeheartedly reccommend. Compare that to the DS, on which (with only 3 months more time on the market) there are so many good games to choose from that it can feel overwhelming when you go up to that section of the store.

That said, I just spent about 3 hours zoning out with EEE. Damn, it's good. Time flies with that game. Takes a bit to get the hang of, but I think I'm catching on. Plus I get to use my new Sennheiser HD 555s (fucking awesome christmas present!) with a Mizuguchi game, so all is right with the world.

I played a demo of Exit 2 on my brother's PSP and here's how it went.

*sigh* ... ah crap, I thought they would have fixed all those annoyances in the sequel. Yeah, truth be told, I didn't really enjoy Exit (I played about 1/2 the game until those exact flaws you mentioned frustrated the crap out of me), but it was a last minute addition to my list ... there's a reason neither of the GTAs are on there ... hated LCS.

But I own a good deal of the games I listed, and they are quite good. And yeah, I own a DS too, and they're both great systems. And yeah, there are a tonne of great games on the DS as well (spent the last month playing Phoenix Wright) ... but I just think it's quite unfair to the PSP that everyone goes on about how there are no games for the system.

SiN