ysbreker

Must-play GameCube games

So now that I got my wii I would love to dip in the pool of gamecube games catalogue. (especially since the european release list for next year doesn't look that interesting*) I was wondering if any of you got a (short) list of gamecube titles I must have played.

The european releases planned for Q1 next year are aparently the following:

(Bold titles are the ones I'm interested in :))

• 12.01.07 - Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
  • 16.02.07 - Excite Truck (Nintendo)
  • 23.02.07 - Kororinpa (Hudson)
  • Februari 2007 - Baja Racing (Conspiracy)
  • Februari 2007 - Disney’s Chicken Little: Ace in Action (Disney)
  • 23.03.07 - Wing Island (Hudson)
  • 23.03.07 - BIONICLE Heroes (Eidos)
  • March 2007 - SSXTM Blur (EA)
  • March 2007 - Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
  • March 2007 - Tiger Woods PGA TOUR (EA)
  • March 2007 - Bust a Move Wii (505Games)
  • March 2007 - Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (Namco)
  • March 2007 - Disney’s Meet the Robinsons (Disney)
  • March 2007 - SonicTM and the Secret Rings (SEGA)
  • March 2007 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Ubisoft)
  • Q1 2007 - Heatseaker (Codemasters)
  • Q1 2007 - Metal Slug Anthology (Ignition)
  • Q1 2007 - Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (Midway Games)
  • Q1 2007 - Rampage Total Destruction (Midway Games)
  • Q1 2007 - The Ant Bully (Movie License) (Midway Games)
  • Q1 2007 - The Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy (Midway)
  • Q1 2007 - Impossible Mission (System 3)
  • Q1 2007 - Leaderboard Golf (System 3)
  • Q1 2007 - Puzzle Balls (System 3)
  • Q1 2007 - Tennis Masters (System 3)
  • Q1 2007 - Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (Ubisoft)

I'd add in Chibi-robo if you want something innocent and cutesy and Mario Tennis if you've got someone on hand to sink many, many hours of multiplay into the game with.

I would add Men in Black II: Alien Escape because I worked on it, but I won't, because it's godawful. Go for:

- Sonic Mega Collection if you don't want to spend monies on Virtual Console (especially if you are in PALville, you'll get the awful slow ports of Sonic)

- Mega Man Anniversary Collection and Mega Man X Collection if you like your Mega Man but again don't want to spend monies on Virtual Console

- Kururin Squash if you like fun

- Luigi's Mansion if you want a cheap game that is actually more fun than people let on

- Pokemon Channel if you can find it for REALLY cheap, like Pokemon, and want the most surreal experience ever

- Super Smash Bros. Melee if you can't wait for Brawl and/or you don't know what all the fuss is about

END COMMUNICATION

I second Luigi's Mansion and the Sonic/Mega Man collections. Well, Ok. I don't have the X collection. I keep on meaning to pick it up, but then there's all this new stuff... *sigh* I should really get that sooner or later.

I was going to mention Metroid Prime in the first post, but the two times that I tried getting into it, I just... didn't. Somehow I never made it past the tutorial. I'm sorry. I'll try again when Metroid Prime 3 comes out.

I played and loved the SNES version of the game, but that's my only experience with the series.

Mario Kart: Double Dash and Super Mario Sunshine will almost certainly please you, and Zelda: The Wind Waker is just not to be missed. Metroid Prime is an FPS you'll either love to bits or find dull.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is also a superb, faithful remake of the PlayStation 1 original, so if you never played the original you would be very, very wise to get this with its vastly superior graphics, introduction of MGS2 moves, redone soundtrack, more stylish cutscenes, and generally more immersive feel. Heck, you'll probably love it if you played/liked the original too; I certainly prefer playing it over the PS1 original.

Twin Snakes was fantastic. My second Metal Gear game (first being Ac!d. I was desparate to find something worth playing on the PSP.) and I think perhaps favorite. 3 was great, 2 was a solid continuation, but damn was Twin Snakes good.

I'm on the fence about how whole-heartedly to recommend Prime. It's definitely a good game. I think I may have burned myself out on it though. I played the first one obsessively. Hell, I got 100% completion on it. Them Echoes came out and I just couldn't get more than a few hours in. I don't know what the discrepancy was, as the game really did seem of high quality. I just didn't seem to care that much any more. I also intend to try again with Corruption. Hell, if it's good enough, maybe I'll take another look at Echoes.

Yes, looking forward to Corruption. I hope it has less of an insane difficulty level with its final boss though, cause that's the only thing that almost mortally wounded the experience of Metroid Prime, tainting an otherwise fearfully atmospheric game with one sloppy game design choice.

Wow. So many people have their hate on for the boss of Prime. I actually found it easier than Meta-Ridley. Won on the first try. Meta-Ridley, not so much. That was a good 5 or 6 attempts. Maybe the 100% thing helped (that's a lot of optional energy tanks there) but honestly I never understood that complaint. It wasn't like BG&E boss hard or anything. On that note, if you don't have it for anything else, BG&E is necessary playing.

Hee, yes, Twin Snakes is truly awesome. It feels kind of weird recommending it as a newish game as many people really experienced the game way back in 1998 or whatever with MGS1, but the small enhancements in Twin Snakes turn it from an aging but deteriorating classic into an excellent modern game. Not to be missed!

Plus of course, playing it means you'll have played MGS1 which means you can go on to experience MGS2 and MGS3 which are both modern, great games. Unless you just don't like the series.

Pikmin.

gogo pikmin.

but yeah otherwise, windwaker, resi 4, mario kart DD.

For multiplayer co-op goodness:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Zelda Four Swords

Ridley was a pushover. Omega Pirate gave me the most trouble in that game. I think that's where I stopped when I was replaying the game on Hard -- granted, I was sequence breaking and had about a total of 15 missiles and, maybe, three energy tanks? I can't remember, it's been a while ago.

But I love that game. Echoes did nothing for me, and I'm wary of Corruption, but the first Prime was outstanding.

Also, it's not the absolute greatest game, but I had a lot of fun with the first Rogue Squadron. The Battle of Endor in that was amazing (and shit hard).

Wasn't that for N64? Or do you mean the Rouge Leader battle of Endor where you're up in space over the moon (having to take out 3 star destroyers at once, as I recall) and surrounded by a giant raging battle? That was a damned fun game, and the thing that I played the most during my first year of cube ownership.

These have already been mentioned, but Pikmin and Chibi Robo are fantastically creative games, if you're into the "quirky Japanese games" genre.

Pikmin is real-time strategy + adventure, if that makes any sense. You really have to play it to understand. Chibi Robo is a more standard zelda-style adventure, but as a miniature robot who cleans the house and solves domestic disputes instead of a pointy-eared elf who kills stuff. (These may not be your thing, which is cool, but you can get them both for dirt cheap now, so you haven't much to lose.)

Metroid Prime, Wind Waker and Resident Evil 4 are the system's heavy-hitters, and are all more or less excellent. Prime has a few tedious moments, largely due to the series' infamous backtracking. Wind Waker also has a giant fetch quest at the end, but is otherwise superb. Resident Evil 4 is just awesome.

Those are probably the five games I would get for the system if I could only choose five. A short list of other decent titles in no particular order: Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil (a surprisingly good remake of the original), Fire Emblem, Tales of Symphonia, Super Mario Sunshine, Killer7, Viewtiful Joe and, for multiplayer only, Smash Bros. Melee or any of the Mario sports games.

Okay, that list is probably already longer than what you're going to go buy, so I'll stop.

If you can find it and you're into Japanese RPG's (that are few and far between on the Gamecube), go for Skies of Arcadia Legends, a remake of the Dreacast classic. It's quite good and features pirates and airships. Tickld my fancy more than Tales of Symphonia did (with its horrrrrrrible voice acting and pacing of dialogues).

above all else get zelda: tp, its for the wii and GC. all i have to say is wow. atleast 8 full dungeons along with a huge world with so many damn secrets ull spend hours between dungeons looking for them with whatever new gadget u just got. sooooo much fun. oh and if u can find it, grab the gc port of Ocarina of time, was my fav before tp and i still needa get round to the master quest after i finish tp. lol almost 50 hours and still got maybe 2 dungeons and inumerable side objectives to do.

'parrently you can use a freeloader to play those extra...terrestrial? GameCube games that you can't get locally. I haven't tried it myself yet (been too busy playing my Wii library) but I've heard it from a pretty reliable source that it works. And remember, the Wii is basically a 'Cube anyway.

Does anyone know if the Wii is region locked for Gamecube games? Is there any possibility that a UK Wii would play US Gamecube games?

Well, the Wii is region-locked and the GameCube was region-locked as well...so I would imagine yes.

EDIT: But, as mentioned above, Freeloader or Action Replay probably works.