LOPcagney

Would you rather...

Let's start one of these shall we? They always spark interresting debate.

Just ask a difficult oppinion question or answer one that's already been asked.

Would you rather die instantly right now or live forever?

and another, for good measure

Would you rather burn all the books you own or wipe all your electronic data irrecoverably?

Die instantly. Living forever sounds boring. Because you need to make a living constantly. If you don't it'll become a living hell. Which ofcourse will also happen after ... 200 years or so.

Burn all my books. That's an easy one anyway. First of all, don't have that much books. Or any paper stuff. I try to have a paperless office (well life) as much as possible.

It depends. If by "live forever" you mean until such a time as the world becomes uninhabitable and all humans die anyway... and I'd stay this age forever... and if everybody I knew and loved also got to live forever... then I might choose to live forever... choosing to die instantly would also be a very selfish thing to do... everyone I know would have to cope with the death of a friend/partner/sister/mother whatever... I don't know... it depends on the circumstances...

Also I'd burn all my books sooner than wipe my hard drive

idkfs

Or not. Really living forever would kind of suck. It'd be great for a while, but what the hell would you do with yourself after a few centuries? As for the books, I think I'd rather keep 'em. Being not a computer dependant person (career and life direction wise. That doesn't mean that I don't love my compy.) all my essential things are kept in some hard format. I'd lose a few phone numbers that I can't be bothered to remember off of my cell phone, and a few essays and such from school. Still, I can always rewrite an essay, and if I have someone's number that I want to call, odds are I can get the info from them in some other way.

I'd definitely rather die instantly. If I was to live forever, I would probably just lose all my limbs at some point and get stuck somewhere for the rest of my life.. in other words, forever.

I don't own that many books, so I'd choose burning them, although wiping all my electric data wouldn't be that painful either. There are a couple of school books I need right now, but on the other hand I would probably get some strange satisfaction burning them, so that having to re-buy them wouldn't matter.

Wow, am I the only one who would choose to live for ever? I reckon the world is a interesting and varied enough place that it could keep me entertained indefinately. And if not, I would put my time and energy into building a sleeper ship so I could wake up at another world. You unimaginative lot :P

Books or HD is more difficult. I have a deeply ingrained taboo about burning books, but logically I guess all my books could be replaced whereas more of my data is unique. Hmm. Besides my sketch books.

Hang on Dan.

"Living Forever" would have to be thought about. Because if you lived forever, technically you could just keep aging and be at the point where you were unable to move, speak, see or hear... but you'd still have awareness. You'd also live past the point where other humans were gone and the world was uninhabitable, so I'm assuming you'd end up existing forever in immense pain, kinda like hell...

...IF however, "living forever" just refers to not growing old any more but still being MORTAL, yeah that'd be awesome.

See my point?

... or you know, not succumbing to illness, but still being vulnerable to getting hit by a train or something else that completely demolishes your body. Living on even though you're scattered over an area the size of a football pitch probably isn't that fun.

Well, yeah, but he didn't specify. So I'll go with the standard definition of immortaility, vis a vis, no aging or disease, but vulnerable to death by trauma. Or even invulnerable immortaility, which would also be great, because you could be a super hero and then get bored of it and take over the world instead.

One day I will write an essay on the various forms of immortality and give them all proper terms, so we can skip these kind of semantics.

Besides, the rest of you decided to die this instant so you are no longer here to argue with me, so fuck off.

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Unexpected genius from Dan!

Hang on Dan.

"Living Forever" would have to be thought about. Because if you lived forever, technically you could just keep aging and be at the point where you were unable to move, speak, see or hear... but you'd still have awareness. You'd also live past the point where other humans were gone and the world was uninhabitable, so I'm assuming you'd end up existing forever in immense pain, kinda like hell...

...IF however, "living forever" just refers to not growing old any more but still being MORTAL, yeah that'd be awesome.

See my point?

Yesh. See, I was kind of imagining not aging, or, not becoming senile. Theoretically that would be the best choice, not only because dieing is selfish, but, elaborating on the sleeper ship idea, you could just bury yourself in ice in some polar climate and simulate death whenever you're ready (since you'd be theorietically perminantly frozen without hope for recovery). Or you could put yourself into a coma I guess.

But wouldn't that be surreal to get to a point where you freeze yourself and an eternity passes and you somehow resurface and have to bury yourself again. It would be like a slight annoyance.

Theres some kind of romantic irony associated with immortality; how if you couldn't die, your chief concerns would eventually be passing the time, and if you were mortal, you'd never think you had enough time to do everything you planned to do.

Would you rather...

a) Talk the the person you hate the most in the world, for 2 hours.

or

B) Play the computer game you hate the most in the world, for 3 hours.

That one's easy for me, there is no person I hate enough to make that situation intolerable, but there are several intolerable games that I have experienced.

So I would chat to the person I hate the most for 2 hours.

the computer game; I've completed Dreamfall and that took more than 3 hours. So whatever for more aweful game there may exist... I think I can spend more than 3 hours with that.

Would you rather...

a) Talk the the person you hate the most in the world, for 2 hours.

or

B) Play the computer game you hate the most in the world, for 3 hours.

oo. definately the person. there are some unbearable games, and at least people I hate are often less repeditive

how about:

would you rather do something you don't like and make alot of money, or do something you do and make much less (think doctor's salary as opposed to that of a convenience store owner)

Do something I didn't like for loads of Ca$hx0rz!

Then I'd only have to do it for a couple of years before I had enough to do the thing I liked and still live comfortably whilst doing it.

:knoweverything:

would you rather do something you don't like and make alot of money, or do something you do and make much less (think doctor's salary as opposed to that of a convenience store owner)

I rather do something I like and not earn much than something I don't like earn a lot.

My limit would be: enough to pay the bills and food and some extras for some recreation (e.g. to buy a new game or update my computer in order to run some newer games).

the computer game; I've completed Dreamfall and that took more than 3 hours. So whatever for more aweful game there may exist... I think I can spend more than 3 hours with that.

err, if you hated it why did you complete it ?

I'd by far rather play a bad game for three hours. I'd also rather live forever (& be invulnerable, since that's the only way it makes sense) than die now.

err, if you hated it why did you complete it ?

Because I was hoping it to become better. Besides, the part that I hated the most was over quite fast (since it was mostly non interactive waiting it to end).

Here's another one:

Would you rather be Ace Ventura, The Mask or Bruce Almighty?

Here's another one:

Would you rather be Ace Ventura, The Mask or Bruce Almighty?

ace ventura

bruce almighty seemed not to be able to handle his power and the mask just weirded me out.

of course, ventura's a weird guy too.

tough one