Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Sony continues to simply rock, PS3 delayed again in Europe?

if this rumor is true it's seriously going to cost sony their success in europe.

yeah. but so far the rumors around the PS3 releases have been more correct than what Sony said.

Still... in 3 months a lot can happen (even an early PS3 release :P ).

Sorry to burst your bubble ysbreker but companies frequently deny things that are in fact a reality. :fart:

From the mumblings and rumblings I've heard, it's definitely Q4 2007 for PS3 in Europe (unless miracles start happening).

Well, I wouldn't call what they've had in the rest of the world a "release" yet anyway. I think Q4 2007 will be when anyone who isn't crazy devoted will get their hands on one at the earliest. As such, I wouldn't worry too much about it at the moment. Maybe if North America and Japan start getting decent sized shipments, there'll be something to go on. In the meanwhile, almost no one has a PS3, it's just more official in Europe.

I had the joy of seeing Resistance: Fall of man in all its glory... The concept is actually sort of cool, the AI is good and the stills I had seen didn't do it justice. But seriously the first 'must have' is an FPS?

Is it me, or did Sony and Microsoft change marketing plans?

Not to worry though PS3 has three different versions of Final fantasy 13, all is safe.

On a slightly related note, this a little Xbox 360 fanboyish but it conveys the same old 'Sony are lying to you and don't care!' sentiment that pervaded the PS2 release.

The problem for Sony this time, is that there are actually realistic options for both hardcore and casual gamers.

{edit}

Actually, the CVG page finally loaded. The original report actually mentions that Sony denied these claims. The eurogamer report just puts more emphasis on it.

This guy is verging on idiot savant:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

Maybe they'll release 10 systems across Europe so they can say that they released it. It worked in the U.S... right?

From what the guy at Roger's Video was telling me (They got a [yes, singular] wiimote in today, and I grabbed it) the city of Calgary got 300 PS3s. That's for just over a million people. Granted, not every one of that million is going to want one, but from what I've heard that seems to be about the standard ratio. 1000000:300. Here's hoping that whenever it's released, Europe can beat that.

Heh. Thanks, haven't read a Maddox rant in a while. That was a pretty damn good one.

My favourite part of that was the fact that all anyone had to do was not lose 1.7 billion and they would already be dong better than Sony's gaming division by the end of the financial year. I feel like I rule also.

I hadn't thought about this, until Intrepid mentioned it, but aren't there a bunch of third party guys who are really going to be a little pissed off that a large portion of their games are going to look like after thoughts in Europe? By this I'm referring to games like Activision's COD3, Ubisoft's Assasin's Creed and SC: Double Agent.

Some of these games will have been out for some time for Xbox 360 and maybe even the Wii, and will need some serious "Two thumbs fresh" rivitalisation in the 'continent' to garner interest on the PS3.

I had the joy of seeing Resistance: Fall of man in all its glory... The concept is actually sort of cool

World War II (the most boring and overused game setting) combined with Alien Invasion (the second most boring and overused game setting) equals... I don't know, conceptual diarrhea? It's hard for me to think of a AAA game with a core premise more offputting to me than Resistance.

I hadn't thought of it like that. I was referring more to the 'Holy shit I've got a crappy gun and they are firing bloody lasers at me' feel of the level I saw.

"Resistance: Fall of man" isn't WW2 + Alien Invasion

It's WW2 + Human Mutation Gone Bad. Not much better since it isn't much different from WW2 + Occult.

I think the most unqiue thing is that this time it's not about the nazi's but about the russians.

What? I thought the Chimera were aliens. Or, a race of mutants origins unknown, which is almost the same I guess? Maybe I didn't read enough spoilers.

:fart: Uh oh...

metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072839278.jpg

Heightened Rumor: Metal Gear Solid 4 not a PS3 exclusive | Joystiq.com, 12/17/06

The rumors that Metal Gear Solid 4 is not a PS3 exclusive continue to snowball. A little over a month ago came the first wave of speculation and the idea even graced the cover of EGM. Fanboys screamed and raged, "Kojima-san owes way too much to Sony to stab them in the back like this, his honour would be tarnished forever and the Japanese care deeply about their honour." Konami's PR simply said, "Metal Gear 4 [sic] is a PS3 title."

Now website Noooz states they have "exclusive" information that MGS4 is coming to Xbox 360. We spoke directly with the editor of Noooz, Daniel Boutros, who has been around the industry for a good bit. He says his source for the information is quite high up, "I rarely run with anything unless I'm 100% confident. I rarely break news stories as you can see." He jokes that from now on he's sticking to opinion pieces after the storm of comments his site received.

Boutros' source says that MGS4 will be coming to the Xbox 360 shortly after the PS3 release. The source says Konami is concerned that there will still not be enough PS3 units out there to make the game profitable. This is the same rationale being used by many publishers, including Ubisoft, to jump off the exclusive bandwagon. Somebody has to pay the bills and the wider the net, the more money publishers will make. We, along with probably everyone else, will be following up with Konami and Microsoft for comment tomorrow. This story isn't going away until somebody sneaks up on it from behind, chokes it senseless and drags it into a storage locker.

I was wondering as much myself. Maybe that's the same reason for which Ubisoft retracted keeping Assassin's Creed a PS3 exclusive. We'll have to wait til Konami makes an official announcement.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! Damn, y'know despite all my hate for Sony, it was going to take a hell of a lot of willpower to keep from buying a PS3 for MGS4 when it came out. I am pleased.

I wouldn't be complaining either if this came true. I wonder when something like this would be announced though. I'd at least expect MGS4 to stay platform exclusive until after launch and then announce that Konami are working on a port some months after that, when initial sales have died down.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I think Sony deserve more kicks in the face already or not.

Ahh, but at least Sony finally shows some creativity. :shifty:

Well I guess the biggest copycat move of them all was expected all along...

There was speculation earlier this year that Sony would repurpose PS2 as a cheap motion-based system to compete with Wii directly, which appears to be borne out in the Ars article (emphasis mine):

The controller uses four LEDs to capture motion, but in a twist from Nintendo's sensor bar configuration, the LEDs are mounted on the controller itself. A camera mounted next to the player's television set takes many pictures of the four LEDs every second, and this data is used to calculate the position and velocity of the controller.

Sony has been working on such a feature for a while now. For people who didn't like having to choose between a system with next-gen graphics and one with full-motion control, Sony's new controller may fill in the gap.

It was theorised that EyeToy would play a central part in this and that this repurposing would in fact be an expansion of EyeToy in an effort to draw "new markets" to the PlayStation brand. The idea was that once all the 'hardcore' had been shifted over to PS3, PS2 would be bundled with EyeToy and some motion-based games by default, to be sold very cheaply (sub-$100) and marketed away from traditional gaming strongholds.

From NeoGAF (yeah, I know): Sony loses another console exclusive as Virtua Fighter 5 gets confirmed for the 360.

virtuafighter5200605210mt5.jpg

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN (December 21, 2006) – SEGA of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced that the highly anticipated arcade fighting game, Virtua Fighter™ 5, will make its way onto the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system. Virtua Fighter™ 5 is scheduled for release on Xbox 360™ in North America and in Europe during late summer 2007. The game will also be available for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system on February 20th, 2007 in North America and will be available in Europe simultaneously with the system’s launch in March 2007.