Roderick

Painting my room

Hey everyone, I may in a short while be moving to my first real owned appartement. That's right, I'm no longer going rental, but buying a place to live. So I'd like to make it real special and give the walls (if that's possible, 'cause I haven't decided on the appartement yet) a nice gaming-themed paintjob.

The first thing that came to mind was a Mario theme, since I've seen some examples of that before and it looked really nice. I can't find those however, so has any of you got a link to pictures or something?

Also, I'd like to hear some other ideas too. The reason I like the idea of Mario is that I can recreate that pixel-perfect, but maybe there are other classic games that might fit as well? I'd like to hear it! Maybe Metroid or something, to really make it an 'underground' appartement? Or Lands of Lore for that 'Gladstone forest' feel?

Loco Roco doesn't sound like a good idea unless you nail everything to the floor and stuff.

how about

another_world.jpg

or

Commander_keen4.gif

Adventure games! Oh my god, how could I have so forgotten my own heritage!

The Day of the Tentacle wall was superb, but though I love the game I haven't really got supreme memories of it. I'd hinge more towards Monkey Island 3 (quite possible because of the cellshaded cartoon graphics; though the painted backdrops would be a chore) or Grim Fandango. The problem with both of these is that they'll require some painting, which I don't have any experience with. So the chances of screwing up will be present, more so than with pure pixel art. Monkey Island would be really cool though. Even though I'd rather go for Grim Fandango, I fear that would make my room too dark, where a nice tropical island with palm trees will give the environment some more cheer.

Still, a Mushroom Kingdom wall would be a lot easier. Suggestions are still much appreciated, because the above have already aided in the decision =)

Base it all on Kirby. I mean, an entire apartment themed like a video game will impress any girl you bring round, but a Kirby video game themed apartment?! You'll be like a wealthy kid in a penny chew shop!

kirby.jpg

Having that in my face every day for years will surely cost me my teeth; so sweet as Kirby and his sugary world are!

I've been thinking some more about doing something with Curse of Monkey Island. I had my reservations on painting walls full of palm trees and forest details, so I looked for something else that I might do. Then I stumbled upon the perfect solution: I could paint the walls full of sea with skies dotted with typical MI3 clouds, and then have Guybrush bob around in his carnival of the damned-cart, lost in thought in his diary. Then around him I could put some details in the background, like galleys and islands and whatnot. That would totally rock! And more over, it would be something I haven't stolen from someone else's wallpaintings. That's added bonus right there. And it wouldn't cost me months painting tedious leaf after bothersome bushel, with all the risks of ruining it in the process or discovering afterwards the styles don't gel.

So I like the idea! Hopefully my appartement will have plain white walls for me to decorate.

(Oh, and El Muerte; doped-up trees would make me go insane after a few weeks. Commander Keen was a cool game, but visually not very err... attractive :grin:)

Believe it or not, but I actually gave Wolfenstein 3D consideration. Obviously with mecha-Hitler somewhere on the wall.

And the crazy syringe-flinging Nazi doctor.

I'm pretty sure that Mecha-Hitler would not only earn the approval of any girls you happen to bring over, but actually attract new ones. You'd go out to get a carton of milk or something and when you came home there'd be like 10 girls all fawning over your walls and ready for love.

Your Monkey Island idea sounds good.

The World's Largest Ball of Twine in Sam & Max: Hit the Road is one of my favorite places in video games and I'd love to see that recreated in non-digital form. I don't know how easy it would be to make it work on a wall though. Maybe if the Twine was in the right corner and the left side was mostly just grassy hills with Sam & Max's car cruising a bit further away.

Then there's always Space invaders and Pacman.

Believe it or not, but I actually gave Wolfenstein 3D consideration. Obviously with mecha-Hitler somewhere on the wall.

And the crazy syringe-flinging Nazi doctor.

You only really need the Swastikas.

I think I'd get a nervous breakdown after a week. Come on, you can't relax with a wall like that. All the reds! And the destruction! And possibly a mecha-goose!

Yeah, looks just like my apartment right now. Well, ok. There's less red on my walls, but the scenery is similar.

I'd pay so much for an idle forum wrap around wall painting in my front room. oh man.

I'll do it. How much exactly?

I dunno. Somehow I think the simpler the better.

DotT works because it's essentially pretty basic shapes. I also think Asteroids would be cool to do, just for simplicity's sake. Or, if you wanted to go complex, how bout the cast of Grim Fandango?

I also think Asteroids would be cool to do, just for simplicity's sake.

Oh man, Asteroids would be awesome. In all seriousness, of the ideas thrown out so far, that one is the one I'd be most likely to do myself.

I always assumed the Thumb just ripped the picture from somewhere! It seemed so random! I'm so ashamed.

There are some nice pointers on the blog of the Day of the Tentacle dude about using a beamer, and painter's tape.

Dan Lee is my personal hero.

I thought he should know it... in case I need to paint my room, Monkey Island style.:shifty:

(.. but I'm serious about him being a personal hero of mine)