Sign in to follow this  
Aussie Ben

Let's Talk About Rayman Again

A new, hilarious Rabbid clip surfaces...

Also, the GBA version of Rayman is very nice. Really pretty looking art, and it's a throwback to the old Rayman games (ie, 2D fist chucking, smashing open cages, collecting Lums, that kind of thing). I want to pick it up, but I've heard that the DS version is the same game, but with some added content. I'm not sure what to believe. I'll definitely get one of the versions (or both, if they're different games). Check out some screens here if you like. Seriously, it looks really nice!

Last thursday I saw some bits of R:RR, the first 'tier' of minigames if you will. My first impression was actually that I didn't think it looked that good. I wasn't expecting 360-type of graphics, but it just seemed a bit too jaggy. Also, there was something jarring about the transition from part to part of the game. Going into a minigame and then returning to the arena... for some reason I didn't really gel, but it's a feeling I really can't quite put into rational words.

Despite these aesthetic comments however, I did see there was a lot of fun to be had with this title. I also, fortunately, became quite convinced that Rayman wasn't for me. Seeing now with my own eyes that it really is a collection of minigames was enough to understand I wouldn't like it that much. Because I just can't be bothered with minigames games, no matter how much style they pour onto it. Pity! Maybe the GBA/DS game will be more to my liking.

I have the GBA one and I'm pretty sure the DS version is different. It always seems to get much lower scores in reviews and the whatever. The save system in the GBA one is super annoying though.

Is it Raving Rabids we're talking here, or any Rayman game? 'Cause I know there are at least two 2D Rayman games on the GBA.

Two? I didn't realise that. I've only played Rayman Advance (the launch title) which I assumed Ben was going on about

Seriously? That's great! I'll have to pick up the GB version today then. :tup:

For the most part, the GB Raymans have been pretty good quality. Rayman Advance was a nice launch title, and I played Rayman 3 to death (which had characters from both Rayman 2 and 3, go figure). Rayman: Hoodlum's Revenge isn't very good though, they tried to do isometric tomfoolery and it was a bit wonky. Glad to see that they've gone back to 2D for Rabbids.

Yeah, I have Rayman 3, but I didn't know Hoodlum's Revenge was isometric. No need for me to check that out then. I have no idea why they're using isometric viewpoints for platformers, it just doesn't work. Spyro isn't very good either. But then, I doubt Spyro would work as a horizontal scrolling platformer either.

Is there anyone who owns both Rayman 3 on Gamecube and on Gameboy Advance and has unlocked the last minigame, 2D Madness 2?

No one can help me with this. Ubiforums are full of autistic 12 year olds.

I had both of the Rayman 3s, but I didn't know there was a 2D madness 2! I did all of the secret extra GBA levels which were super hard and were downloaded from the GameCube to the GBA though. Those were awesome.

Hah, I'm guessing you don't have them anymore? But yeah I'm as far as you got on the minigames. 2D Madness 2 is exclusive to the Gamecube and I've seen screenshots, yet for some reason no one can explain how they got it except beat everything on both games.

And if it's not too much to ask, did you beat Mad Trax or Wheelis? Do you remember a red circle appearing next to those when you beat them?

I've played a little bit of Raving Rabbids and I thought it looked excellent. The polycount may be lower than a 360 title, but the visuals are stylized enough that it doesn't matter.

Now Red Steel, that's a game that just looks like ass.

If I may interrupt... as charming and fun as this game looks, the impression given by the original trailers (giant spiders, eagles, big bunny brawls) of a traditional adventure makes me bay for Ryamn 4 all the more. I hope this isn't the first of a new direction for the team, just a mad one-off.

There WILL be a traditional Rayman-game made with the Rabbids theme, but it's just not going to be on the Wii, but on PS2 or something (unsure). If we're really lucky, Ubisoft will see it fit to release it on the Wii as well, eventually. I don't care if it's with the oldschool controller; I just want a real adventure with Rayman.

I thought Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc was a bit meh though. Not going into huge rants about it, you'll just have to take this at face value.

Rayman RR was really damn good. If minigames aren't your thing, I can see it being a bit of a turn off, but that and Wii Sports have become the games that I use to show people the Wii. And later I always, always have people asking me about "That really fun bunny game." Tech demo, perhaps, but the minigames are far more consistent than those in Monkey Ball (which has a great main game, don't get me wrong) and the graphics are incredibly charming.

I just now clicked on that mobile phone link. Is this game a downgraded port of the Gameboy Advance version of Rayman Rabbids? All those somersault things he's doing, it's weird.

Hey Rodi, where did you read there was going to be a traditional game? The current version is already out for PS2. We are waiting for an Xbox 360 version and a DS version in March.

I thought the traditional versions are going to be the GBA and DS versions.

Wii, PC, PS2 and Xbox360 are all similar minigame versions, but with different kind of controlling options because the other machines lack the controlling method of Wii. :yep:

Yes, I'm just hugely uninformed, don't mind me :getmecoat

I thought there was going to be a regular RR platform game though... in 3D. But I'm surely mistaken.

The mobile phone game is done by some 3rd (8th?) party. Obviously they wanted to make a Sonic game, but couldn't. Looks wierd, but man, if it wasn't on a mobile, I would probably get it.

Just watched the vid. That is awesome. Where do I get that ringtone? I really want to have that be my default now.

Yes, I'm just hugely uninformed, don't mind me :getmecoat

I thought there was going to be a regular RR platform game though... in 3D. But I'm surely mistaken.

I was under the exact same assumption, based on an interview with someone from the team that said they only changed the game for Wii because it seemed absolutely perfect for the controller. At least I thought I read that.. :shifty:

Oh, well.

This is a game in which motion controls are definitely the preferred control method. It's not that the PS2 controls are bad, but they're just not as engaging.

from Gamespot

Hooray for Wii, then.

Hooray for Wii, then.

I'm disgusted Ubi didn't actually make this a Wii exclusive -- shoe horning the game onto other formats is blatant penny-pinching, and I'd hoped they might have been above that. :(

While I'm not disgusted (I mean, they're going after all Rayman fans, not just Rayman fans owning a Wii, it's business, yada-yada..) it still seems like a very weird decision, gameplay-wise. They basically just put a version out with inferior gameplay, judged by that GameSpot review (which, after looking more closely is just the Wii review with all the PS2 relevant parts edited in :shifty: )

Rayman RR was really damn good. If minigames aren't your thing, I can see it being a bit of a turn off, but that and Wii Sports have become the games that I use to show people the Wii. And later I always, always have people asking me about "That really fun bunny game." Tech demo, perhaps, but the minigames are far more consistent than those in Monkey Ball (which has a great main game, don't get me wrong) and the graphics are incredibly charming.

Yeah, my friends and I played some of the Monkey Ball mini games all of once, but they always want to play the bunny game. I'm sure there are a couple good Monkey Ball mini games, but there's too much crap to sift through to find them. Play Rayman's whack-a-mole variation and compare it to Monkey Ball. No contest.

Only complaint: Having to unlock party game stuff and not enough simultaneous multiplayers. MB:BB comes out on top here.