Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Will Wright on the Colbert Report

Yeah, Marek said so (and incidentally predicted the future):

Also Will Wright will be a guest on the Colbert Report on Monday. How fucking awesome is that? I bet Colbert will nail him for supporting evolution with Spore, which undoubtedly Wright will parry by saying the game is actually closer to creationism. Can't wait.

Anyway, I really like the way Wright talks about (his) games. Such enthusiasm!

Why is there no facial hair?

You can't have facial hair far years and then just axe it without warning.

Also: The 2nd half of next year is slightly too far away.

I wish Colbert's writers would stop putting Internet inside jokes in the script. It would be okay, but Colbert doesn't know what the hell they mean, so it's embarrassing. He calls the Wii a "video game".

He calls the Wii a "video game".
I'm pretty sure that's intentional.

Between Will Wright and the Decemberists guitar challenge, Colbert is pretty much my favorite right now.

Not a drop of irony in his voice. Snakes on a Plane references don't fit Colbert's character anyway.

I suspect Colbert knows exactly what the Wii is, the guy is a D&D fan for god's sake.

You know what ? He DOES.

And by the way, you're on notice:colbert:

OnNotice.jpg

And yes, Colbert is actually a huge geek. The D&D stuff. Lady Nocturne: Alpha Squad Seven, a Tek Jansen Adventure. He freaking had a lightsabre battle with George Lucas on the show! The fact that he's the voice of Reducto on Harvey Birdman.

(on second thought, the "Spam Graveyard" should be on the "Dead to Me" board)

And flip Sony to "Dead to me"

I'm pretty sure Colbert is a huge geek. Every journalist who had no idea what a Wii was called it a "video game" so he played along, but the D&D (I believe a D20 was placed on his bookshelf late last year) is a pretty good giveaway. Also, if I recall correctly, back when A History of Violence was released and Mortensen was on the Daily Show, he brought a chocolate Aragorn for Colbert, as he's a crazy LoTR fan. Convinced?

OKAY. However, no matter how huge a nerd Colbert the person is, making references to internet phenomena does not fit the character Stephen Colbert.

True, it can feel a bit out of place. It really depends on the reference. The SoaP stuff was dumb, but referencing "The intertubes" just shows how out of touch Stephen Colbert the character really is. You'd have to specifically say which phenomenon he was refering to in order to judge it.