BooJaka

Prev Gen: Megadrive games

I've bought a Megadrive for my girlfriend for Christmas (long story...) and I need some games for it. Are there any really good 2 player games anyone can recommend?

Streets of Rage

World of Illusion - One of you is Mickey, the other is Donald and you help each other through thr levels. Might be a good one to play with your girlfriend.

The whole Streets of Rage series are some of the best games for MegaDrive.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles.

Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3

Ecco the Dolphin 1, 2

Ristar

Gunstar Heroes

Shining Force 1, 2

Dynamite Headdy

Rolo to the Rescue

Both World of Illusion and Toejam and Earl are excellent choices. But I think T&J is a little hard to find.

If you have to get one, get streets of Rage 2, but Streets of rage 1 is easier to find and has been released on several Megadrive compilations, so it is dirt cheap.

If you after some versus, Micro machines is great and pretty much any version is good although the 96 tournament version is the best. Also Speedball 2 rocks.

If you can find it, I remember playing a lot of Rolling thunder 2 in co-op mode as well.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles.

Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3

Ecco the Dolphin 1, 2

Ristar

Gunstar Heroes

Shining Force 1, 2

Dynamite Headdy

Rolo to the Rescue

I've bought a Megadrive for my girlfriend for Christmas (long story...) and I need some games for it. Are there any really good 2 player games anyone can recommend?

Don't know if sports games are your thing, but the early 94-era EA games were quite good. NHL 94 especially!

I know the game has been mentioned a few times already, but...

Toejam & Earl is quite possibly the greatest two-player co-op ever.

While the player two controller could operate Tales in Sonic 2, he can actually fly and carry Sonic around in 3. That's nice, since it kind of makes up for Sonic ditching him during all the super-fast sequences.

I remember liking Streets of Rage.

It's all about Gunstar. And I'll throw in some agreement with n0wak as well. NHL 94 brings back many fond memories for me. (although I was playing it on an SNES)

Don't know if sports games are your thing, but the early 94-era EA games were quite good. NHL 94 especially!

NHL94 was the king of sports games, but NHL95 was also good, even though it looked like crap compared to the older ones, they changed the engine first time for 95.

NHL94 was the king of sports games.

Yup.

And I typically hate "traditional" sports games (FIFA, Madden). I do seem to recall the earlier NBA games on MegaDrive also being quite fun though, but not quite up to the standard of NHL '94.

Ooh, which reminds me: Road Rash 2 was The Shit on SEGA's 16-bit machine, even in the heavily squashed two-player split screen mode. I still play it now when I want a decent retro kick, and it's still great.

I think the Lost Vikings was two player, if you like puzzle co-op.

I will remember more soon. Megadrive was excellent for two player games.

I third World of Illusion, a wonderful game.

Most of the Megagames collections have a couple of multiplayer games on. Hours of fun can be had yelling at each other while playing Columns for instance.

Yup.

Ooh, which reminds me: Road Rash 2 was The Shit on SEGA's 16-bit machine, even in the heavily squashed two-player split screen mode. I still play it now when I want a decent retro kick, and it's still great.

Thanks for reminding me! Skitchin should have been a cheesy Xtreme version of road rash, but that was also hilarious and actually might rival my love for RRII.

It isn't any where as good as the arcade version (it misses out the best boss and two of the levels) but Sunset Riders is a great game still, it is also easy to find for about 5 quid on ebay.

This seems like the most appropriate place to say this so:

GLEE! GUNSTAR HEROES got added to the Wii VC today! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Dear BooJaka,

Please do not get Ristar, it's like Kid Icarus (Doctor Jesus?) in that it has a tiny group of cult fans that really love it, but the reason it never sold well was because it was actually quite awful. True story.

And for the hundredth time, if you want a co-op game, get ToeJam and Earl! It was designed from the ground up to be two player, with the addition of one player mode later. It's got some great music, great enemy design (read: lunatic dentist and armies of ducks which launch tomatoes via a mortar) designed by Steve Purcell. You know, that Sam and Max guy. :tup:

But please don't get the second one, it's less good. And for all that is good and holy, avoid the third (Xbox) one like the plague, it's like vomit concentrated onto disc format.

Another nice solo game to get is Buster's Hidden Treasure. Nice clean fun. Oh, and quackshot Quackshot QUACKSHOT. It's short, but genius. Castle of Illusion is a bundle of joy too. Contra: Hard Corps might be worth a look too - it's stupid hard, but side-scrolling kill-things-fun action. And one of the playable characters is a werewolf who wears sunglasses and says "It's payback time!"

...payback for what, I wonder?

oh Oh OH!! And Crusader of Centy/Soleil - that's a great top-down action adventure in the vein of Zelda.

Sparkster (jet-packing rodent), Road Rage (beating guys with batons), Castle of Illusion (Mickey Mouse proves his worth), Aladdin (all the charm of the Prince of Persia), Columns (best music in a Video game EVER)

Road Rage (beating guys with batons)

Besides it being "Road Rash", everyone knows that the superior motorcycle game for the Mega Drive is Super Hang-On - no violence though.

My favorite two player game for the console is probably EA Hockey (NHL Hockey in the US). Such glaring AI problems yet so much fun. It's just a basic hockey game but it has very good controls, as far as I can remember.

Ahh MegaGames 1. Columns, Super Hang-On and World Cup Italia '90 all on one cart!

Italia '90 being an absolutely brilliant football game with plenty of slide tackes. GOOOOOAAAAAAAL!

ooh, Aladdin reminds me of the Lion King megadrive game. Actually loads of fun, especially when you grow up and get to mawl leapards to death.