Sign in to follow this  
General Fuzzy McBitty

PS3 backwards compatibility glitch.

200 out of 8000 titles not working properly? About 97.5 % of your entire back catalogue working properly? That's pretty decent if you ask me. This means they got a much higher rate of working titles than microsoft had with the launch of the 360.

See? It's not all bad news from Sony these days ;)

It's odd that they're not working, given that there's basically a PS2 crammed in there along with the new stuff.

It's odd that they're not working, given that there's basically a PS2 crammed in there along with the new stuff.

Not really. There were some games that had compatability problems with the smaller PS2 compared to the old PS2, and that was the same system! This is less surprising.

Still, it's better than Microsoft's attempt. Want to play Panzer Dragoon Orta? TOUGH SHIT, GO PLAY KABUKI WARRIORS.

Not really. There were some games that had compatability problems with the smaller PS2 compared to the old PS2, and that was the same system! This is less surprising.

Still, it's better than Microsoft's attempt. Want to play Panzer Dragoon Orta? TOUGH SHIT, GO PLAY KABUKI WARRIORS.

That was only a few games, this is more than a handful.

For the Xbox, I've actually purchased Stranger's Wrath ($8 or something, new) and have it waiting if they ever fix that one up. The way Microsoft have handled it is frustrating as hell.

Maybe we'll see some screw-ups with the Wii as well? Possibly? No?

I doubt there'll be problems with the Wii 'back catalogie' (virtual console), but that's because they're dripfeeding us the games instead of facing the mammoth task of getting them all done from day one.

I meant the Gamecube games.

Even if the hardware is very similarly structured, it's not identical.

I meant the Gamecube games.

Even if the hardware is very similarly structured, it's not identical.

Nah, the hardware is identical.

It'll be like the DS -> GBA compatibility. When you put in a GBA cart the DS "switches off" everything DS-like, and the system just turns into a GBA.

With the Wii, it'll just disable it's extra RAM, under-clock the CPU, etc, and the system will pretty much turn into a GC. Apart from the extras (broadband, gba connectivity, etc) the Wii will turn into a GC.

Ninty are veterans at this ... they've been doing this since the GB Colour days. :)

SiN

All I really want with regards to Wii backwards compatability is to be able to run GCN games (that already could) in 480p through the Wii's component cable. My GCN is one of the first run ones, meaning it actually has the capacity to run 480p games. Unfortunately, by the time I got a TV that worked with component cables, they'd discontinued the damn things. This is my last hope to see things like Metroid Prime running in Progressive Scan. Ninty, don't let me down.

Someone said it like this:

On the Xbox360 you have a small list of games that works

On the PS3 you have a small list of games that doesn't work

I prefer to have the second. I also read that most of the games that don't work, just don't work PROPERLY. That is, sound glitches, video problems. Most likely, these things will be fixed when they release their firmware updates regularly, like on the PSP.

Also, on the list of Xbox 360 games, many of them still have problems. KOTOR for example, suffers from horrible framerate issues, and I found it completely unplayable because of it. Every frickin' fight slowed down to about 5-10 fps, which just isn't acceptable. It stutters as hell.

The bottom line for me is that Microsoft PLANNED the fact that some games wouldn't work. It was part of their design.

Sony PLANNED to have everything work. It doesn't. If I'm paying $600+ I want the kind of quality that they've been pitching it (poorly) as.

Also, if there are audio/video problems the game isn't working. It might be PLAYABLE... but it isn't working.

Surely if you're buying a PS3 for the backwards compatability you'd simply be better off buying a PS2 now (secondhand, naturally) and waiting for a) PS3 supplies to drastically increase, and B) Sony to work out the remaining bugs with the glitching legacy titles.

Let's not loose perspective though; 97.5% is a fuck of a lot of games. But does anyone have a link to a list of the games which glitch though? (Couldn't see anything obvious on the BBC's site.)

EA Best Hits 007 Night Fire & 007 Everything or Nothing - Ingame, sometimes the BGM don't play properly.

Kagerou II - Dark illusion- PlayStation 2 the Best - Several specific scene audio playback has errors. Releases, 11/30/06

Ultimate Hits Front Mission 2 - Not yet tested.

Otome no Jijou (Budget) - Certain movies do not play properly. (Firmware 1.10 verified to fix problem)

Otome no Jijou (LE) - Certain movies do not play properly. (Firmware 1.10 verified to fix problem)

DMC PlayStation 2 the Best - Title demo sometime freezes

Phantom Brave 2 Shuume Hajimemashita PlayStation 2 the Best - When you move the characters ingame, the screen messes up.

Jissen PACHISURO Hisshou Hou! Hokuto no Ken SE (Regular Ed.) - Sometimes pressing the stop button has lag.

Koei Tenban Series Shin Sangoku Musou 3 - In certain scenes the BGM messes up. Sometimes the demo movies/pictures freeze.

School Rumble Nigakki Kyoufu no (?) Natsu Gasshuku! Youkan ni Yurei Utsuru!? Otakara wo Megutte Makkou Shoubu!!! no Maki - Title Movie messes up with HDMI out. (Firmware 1.10 fixes problem)

School Rumble Nigakki Kyoufu no (?) Natsu Gasshuku! Youkan ni Yurei Utsuru!? Otakara wo Megutte Makkou Shoubu!!! no Maki (LE) - Title Movie messes up with HDMI out. (Firmware 1.10 fixes problem)

Ultimate Hits Valkyrie Profile - Valkyrie Profile - Some BGMs/sound effects don't play right during gameplay

Ultimate Hits Star Ocean Till the End of Time Director's Cut - Movie playback sometimes experiences audio problems.

Daito Giken Premium PACHISURO Collection Yoshimune - During a save the BGM messes up. Sometimes there's lag hitting the stop button.

Ikusagami PlayStation 2 the Best - There are times when the character serif (?) gets messed up.

GT4 PlayStation 2 the Best - Sometimes it black screens after title demo

Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria - Sometimes audio plays funny during certain movies

Colorful BOX ~to Love~ 2800 Collection - Movie BGMs sometimes messes up.

Yamasa Digi World SP Moeyo! Koutto Shakujo - Sometimes there's lag when pressing the stop button.

Final Fantasy XI Atorugan no Hihou Kakuchou Data Disk - Currently PS2 HDD games aren't supported.

Play Online / Final Fantasy XI One Pack 2006 - Currently PS2 HDD games aren't supported.

IF Collection Spectral Force Chronicle - During a scene change the picture can go haywire for a second.

Final Approach (Princess Soft Collection) - At the configuration screen sometimes the BGM settings can not be changed.

DX Jinsei Game V PS one Books - Black screen after PS logo.

Shin Onimusha Dawn of Dreams - Screen is shifted 2cm to the right.

OZ (Konami the Best) - Sometime it fails to save or load.

SIMPLE 2000 Series Vol.94 THE Akachan Pion ~Come on Baby~ - The Dance Battle Summer/Winter Parts have the screen freeze. (Firmware 1.10 relegates the problem to audio playback problems some glitches at the title screen)

Chaos Field New Order - When you skip the instruction screen, the screen messes up for a moment.

Kenka Banchou PlayStation 2 the Best - Sometimes the Character serifs (icons?) mess up

Exciting PRO Wrestling6 YUKE’s the Best - There are several spots in the game where the screen messes up.

Ikusagami - There are times when the character serif (?) gets messed up.

SNK Best Collection Metal Slug 4 - Sometime a scene transition causes the screen to mess up.

Xenosaga Episode 2 (Beyond good and evil) - Sometime the opening movie stutters and has BGM issues.

Tekken 5 PlayStation 2 the Best - Sometimes the BGM does not play during several fight modes' character select screen. The screen freezes returning from "Arcade history".

Minna no GOLF 4 PlayStation 2 the Best - Sometimes there's button lag.

Clover Hearts Best Ed. - Screen freezes at Opening movie end.

Best Hit Selection ONLY YOU Rebel Cross - Title menu character serif and animations sometimes mess up.

Nanobreaker (Konami the Best) - During or at the end of movies the screen sometimes freezes.

Code Age Commanders ~Tsugu Mono Tsugareru Mono~ - Sometimes is fails to save and will corruptedly load a save.

IF Collection Cardinale Arc ~Konton no Fuusatsu~ - In some spots, sometimes the character audio messes up.

Richar Burns Rally - Sometimes the screen freezes.

IF Collection Generation of Chaos NEXT ~Ushinawareshi Kizuna~ - Sometimes the character audio messes up.

Slotter UP Mania 7 Saishin Saikyou! Pioneer MAX - Sometimes the reel's picture does show properly.

Shikigami no Shirou Shichagatsu Genzoukyoku - BGM and SE don't play outside of characters.

IF Collection Generation of Chaos III ~Toki no Fuuin~ - Some scene sometimes mess up playing the BGM.

(Super Robot Taisen Alpha Premium Edition Doukonyou) Super Robot Taisen Alpha Gaiden - Sometimes the sound messes up.

SuperLite 2000 Series Memories Off (Sore kara) - Part of the song in the opening movie doesn't play back.

Puchi Copter 2 LE - Not yet tested

Puchi Copter 2 Regular Ed. - Not yet tested

Puchi Copter 2 - Not yet tested

Ultraman PlayStation 2 the Best - Sometimes Stage 2 freezes

ACE Combat 5 PlayStation 2 the Best - New Game movie sometimes freezes at the end.

Magna Carta PlayStation 2 the Best - Sometime the opening movie freezes.

Shin Sangoku Musou 3 Mega pack - During certain scenes sometime the BGM messes up. Sometimes the demos freeze.

Shin Sangoku Musou 3 Playstation 2 the Best - During certain scenes sometime the BGM messes up. Sometimes the demos freeze.

Kagerou II -Dark illusion- - Several specific scene audio playback has errors.

OZ - Save load troubles. (Firmware 1.10 fixes the problem)

Tennis no Oujisama Rush & Dream (Konami Dendou Selection) - Some scenes have no audio.

Capcom Retro Game Collection Vol. 4 - Some spots have BGM playback problems.

Rakushou! PACHISURO Sengen 3 RIO De Carnival 600 Shiki - Sometimes the stop button lags.

Soccer Life 2 - Sometime the title screen BGM doesn't play properly.

Kenka Banchou Regular Ed - Sometimes the character serif (?) messes up.

Kenka Banchou First Press Ed - Sometimes the character serif (?) messes up.

Koei Teiban Series Taikou Risshiden IV - The screen freeze at several scenes.

SIMPLE2000 Series Vol.78 THE Uchuu Taisen - Sometimes the SE don't play.

Capcom Retro Game Collection Vol. 3 - Some spots have BGM playback problems.

Shikigami no Shirou II (Taito Best) - BGM and SE don't play outside of characters.

EA Best Hits Burnout 3 Takedown - Sometime some SE don't play in the races.

Front Mission Online - Currently PS2 HDD games aren't supported.

C@M Station Tsujouhan (Soft Tanbinhan) - Currently PS2 HDD games aren't supported.

C@M Station Doukon (Eyetoy Kamera & USB Headset Doukonhan) - Currently PS2 HDD games aren't supported.

Spectral Force Chronicle - At scene transition the screen messes up for a second.

Spectral Force Chronicle 10th Anniversary Box - At scene transition the screen messes up for a second.

Taisen Hot Gimmick Access Suzume Tsujou Han - Screen freezes at story mode screen when timer reaches 0.

Taisen Hot Gimmick Access Suzume Special Ed - Screen freezes at story mode screen when timer reaches 0.

Tekken 5 - Sometimes the BGM does not play during several fight modes' character select screen. The screen freezes returning from "Arcade history".

Sentou Kokka Kai New Operations - Some scenes have problems with BGM.

Cafe Lindbark -summer season- Sweet Edition - If BGM is set to off it can't be turn on. Pressing /\ start resets BGM to on.

Cafe Lindbark -summer season- Regular Ed - If BGM is set to off it can't be turn on. Pressing /\ start resets BGM to on.

IF Collection Shin Kigensou Spectral Souls - Some scenes sometimes mess up playing the BGM.

Winning Eleven 8 Liveware Evolution Information - Somtimes the video freezes during play.

Onimusha - Sometimes the audio doesn't play right during movies

Play Online / Final Fantasy XI One Pack 2005 - Currently PS2 HDD games aren't supported.

Jissen PACHISURO Hisshouhou! Hokuto no Ken Plus - Sometimes the stop button lags.

Zeonic Fron Kidou Senshi Gandum 0079 THE BEST - In some spots character dialogue doesn't play.

Valkyrie Profile PS one Books - Some BGMs/sound effects don't play right during gameplay

Exciting Pro Wrestling 6 SMACKDOWN! Vs RAW - Some spot the screen sometimes messes up.

Memories Off After Rain Vol.1 Aridzuru Tsujou Han - Sometime the movie BGM don't play properly.

Memories Off After Rain Vol.1 Aridzuru Special Ed - Sometime the movie BGM don't play properly.

Nanobreaker - During or at the end of movies the screen sometimes freezes.

Radiata Stories - Sometimes the movie BGMs don't properly play.

GT4 - Sometimes it black screens after title demo

Koei Teiban Series Daikou Umi Jidai IV Porto Estado - Not yet tested.

Nobunaga no Yabou Online -Tappi no Shou- - Currently PS2 HDD games aren't supported.

Tennis no Oujisama Rush & Dream Tsuujou Repeat Han - Some scenes have no audio.

EUROPEAN CLUB SOCCER Winning Eleven Tactics - Sometimes freezes when movies play.

Crash Bandicoot Crash and Cortex's Yabou - Sometimes the game screen messes up.

Tennis no Oujisama Rush & Dream Tsuujou Han - Some scenes have no audio.

Densha de GO! -Ryojou Hen- Taito Best - Sometimes the movie audio doesn't play right.

Exciting Pro Wrestling 5 YUKE’s the Best - Sometimes the screen freezes and the end of the "Create" screen.

Magna Carta - Sometime the opening movie freezes.

SIMPLE2000 Series Ultimate Vol.21 Kenka Joutou! Yankee Banchou ~Shouwa 99 nen no Densestsu~ - Some scenes, sometimes the character audio doesn't play.

Makai Senki Digaea PlayStation 2 the Best - Sometimes the screen messes up on the character move screens.

Way of the Samurai 2 PlayStation 2 the Best - After a certain point the character serif messes up.

Armored Core Ninebreaker - Title screen background messes up sometimes.

Rakushou! PACHISURO Sengen 2 Decadent Juujika - Transitions to menu/title screen sometimes freezes. (Frimware 1.10 fixes the problem).

The above list was taken from THIS site. A lot of obscure japanese titles and some AAA titles. Most of them only suffers from glitches, and a lot of them have been confirmed to be fixed by the firmware update 1.10 (which I think comes on a disc with the north american version of the console).

Also not, that this is the japanese versions we're talking about, and they still have version 1.00 of the firmware. 1.10 will be released by the time it reaches the US.

Sony PLANNED to have everything work. It doesn't. If I'm paying $600+ I want the kind of quality that they've been pitching it (poorly) as.

Where exactly did they say, "every game will work from day one"? The big three have all said "our systems will be backwards compatible" but none of them really gave specifics.

Frankly, I'm surprised Sony didn't do software emulation and actually went all out and shoved a PS2 into the PS3 (see here). It probably cost them a pretty penny, but it was The Right Thing To Do. For that, and only that, I commend them.

Here's my predicition: Wii BC will be near-perfect day one. In a couple of months, PS3 BC will be as close to perfect as it can be too. But the X360 BC isn't going to get anywhere close to perfect in it's lifetime.

SiN

They've said that later models will do software emulation. They won't add it however, if it isn't at least 99% compatible, like it is now. And they've never said ALL games will work, they've confirmed that 99% of the titles will work, and that's pretty much the same as it was with the backwards compatibility on the PS2. If anyone expected 100% compatibility it's their fault, not Sony's. They never said it was going to be. If you decide you're not getting a PS3 because of this, then you were never going to get one anyway. You just pretend you were going to get one to make this sound any worse than it is, and you're just a troll, looking for a way to bash Sony (for something they don't deserved to be bashed).

He's got a point, man. Earlier today I actually found myself defending Sony because of this. Even with my current hate on for them. I felt kinda dirty afterwards, but the point stands. There are many ways that Sony has fucked up recently. This isn't one of them.

I guess the Paul Stanley viral marketing didn't work out then? Good idea trying with the PS3 instead, that's much more popular. :tup:

Excuse me for having, you know, opinions. Shame on me for having a different view on things than the commoner.