Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Gothic 3

So, anyone played it yet? It hit me out of the blue when I just noticed it in the store, having no idea it was released already, and I just couldn't not buy it. But now at home, looking at the requirements, I'm not sure it will run well on my PC. I'll give it a go soon.

In other news, Psychonauts is awesome! Probably the best level design ever!

In other news, Psychonauts is awesome! Probably the best level design ever!

Wouldn't say best, a shit load of things depend on that.

But it may have the most interesting and creative level designs. I've always liked the bit 'screwed up' level designs. The games Serious Sam FE/SE, Alice and FAKK2 also had some nice level designs.

gothic 3 is currently the most successful game in germany / austria. according to our gaming magazines it should be a really good game (but still suffering of a load of bugs...)

gothic 3 is currently the most successful game in germany / austria. according to our gaming magazines it should be a really good game (but still suffering of a load of bugs...)

Yes, I'd agree. Somehow it seems even more buggy than the previous ones. Or maybe the bugs come up in more common use cases. It's pretty awesome so far, though. And makes me want to buy a new computer that could run it better.

I don't remember how the balance was exactly in the previous Gothic games, but this time it seems like I should really just go and kill a lot of beasts to level up if I want to be able to handle some of the more combat-intensive quests comfortably. Right now my stats are so low that the combat depends completely on my own skill: (do not read the spoiler until you're done with Cape Dun)

In Cape Dun, when starting the revolution

, just making a couple of mistakes and I'm dead.

When comparing it with Elder Scrolls, I'd say Gothic focuses on depth, while Elder Scrolls on breadth. I like Gothic's approach better overall, but it makes Gothic a little too dense sometimes -- Wolves hanging around practically in eyesight of city gates, for example. But the atmosphere seems much richer in Gothic.

I'm loving Gothic 3 so far, although it seems to have lost some of the charm of the previous games in the process of making the world I don't know how many times larger.

But now I must cry out in anguish: can there be a more inappropriate time for the power in the house to go out? I had just taken Montera in a battle of epic proportions, had lost a comrade in that battle, had already accepted the loss and had almost completed collecting the loot from the bodies when the screen went black. Of course I had not saved yet... I just can't do it again.

I just got the demo and now I want the game.. maybe for Christmas.. :grin:

At any rate, its something I've been looking for in a game... easy enough to level up and gain experience, and just complex enough to keep me interested. One small thing I'm stumped on, any maybe someone can help, if its possible. I want to make a vial of water, for the healing recipe, but I can't seem to figure how to get the water into the vial. Anyone got a clue on how this works? :gaming:

Thanks~