Spaff

Golden Joystick Awards: Farcical list of "winners"

PLAY.com Ultimate Game of the Year – Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Editor’s Game of the Year – Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter who?

The Sun Family Game Award – Nintendogs

bliss Girls Choice Award – Nintendogs

Nuts All-Nighter Award – Pro Evolution Soccer 5 YAWN

PlayStation 2 Game of the Year – Resident Evil 4 not even close

Nintendo Game of the Year – New Super Mario Brothers meh

Xbox Game of the Year – Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

ebuyer.com PC Game of the Year – Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Handheld Game of the Year – GTA: Liberty City Stories are you kidding me?

Intel Online Game of the Year – Age of Empires III what?

1Xtra and Rampage Soundtrack of the Year - Need for Speed: Most Wanted hahahahaha fuck off

T3 Innovation Award – Xbox Live Marketplace meh. there are more innovative things. Good doesn't mean innovation.

The One to Watch for 2007– Sony PlayStation 3 if you ever get to see one

Favourite Character Award - Lara Croft !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonopress Publisher of the Year – Electronic Arts ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Sierra Retailer of the Year – Game

No.

“The Golden Joystick Awards are the only way UK gamers can directly tell games publishers which games made their year. With a record number of votes cast in 2006, the Golden Joystick Awards have cemented their position as a benchmark for the industry. Winning an award chosen by expert gamers is the ultimate accolade.”

fuck off.

The One to Watch for 2007 – Sony PlayStation 3

Awards for potential? They really couldn't come up with better filler than that?

Another year, another sack-full of worthless generic votes -- the majority of which are based on whatever game was being advertised on the page opposite.

The Golden Joystick Awards are a sham, designed to sell advertising space in magazines and that's all.

Honestly, I've got to say that Liberty City Stories is the worst handheld game I've played this year ... and I've bought around a dozen of 'em for the PSP and DS collectively.

It's like they said, "lets make GTA on the PSP, but COMPLETELY FORGET that it's a handheld system".

Such a shame because I really am a huge GTA fan. You can't imagine how pissed off I was.

SiN

Intel game of the year? :eek:

1up.com is an abomination.

And yes, I agree.... Liberty City Stories was shit as is the psp.

There's only one thing that pisses me off more than publishers.... and that is game journalists.

...I kinda liked LCS. Sure, it wasn't the best thing on the PSP, but it was a solid continuation of GTA and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm really looking forward to VCS as well. As for handheld game of the year, you can bloody well fuck off, but it was still pretty good.

I'm still waiting for either of those games to come out for something I actually own but as far as I know there are no plans for a PC version, right?

I can hope...

Yeah, but to be honest, aren't these the video game awards for people that don't play games?

Winning an award chosen by expert gamers is the ultimate accolade.”

Meh, me thinks that winning an award chosen by expert game developers is the ultimate accolade.

It's like they said, "lets make GTA on the PSP, but COMPLETELY FORGET that it's a handheld system".

Of course - the pervading attitude is that the PSP is exactly that - a portable PlayStation (2). If the DS was replaced by the Gamecube Portable, its games would be much the same. It's a conscious, deliberate decision by publishers and Sony to make it that way. That's why when both systems were close to release, Sony were saying "different market, we're not competing with Nintendo". It's just a shame that people seem to prefer a proper dedicated handheld experience.

It's just a shame that people seem to prefer a proper dedicated handheld experience.

Why is that a shame? Handheld experiences can be great. Surely it's better to play a game that's meant to be handheld, than one that's not.

It's just a shame that people seem to prefer a proper dedicated handheld experience.

...over a cynical "straight conversion" of a home console title?! "Damn them!" a Sony executive didn't say. :shifty:

No appreciation for the medium is as good as no appreciation at all.

Yeah, but to be honest, aren't these the video game awards for people that don't play games?

Wouldn't that be like making film awards for people that don't watch films?

MOST INTERESTING MOVIE BASED ON THE TRAILER

BEST MOVIE THAT EVERYONE ELSE WAS TALKING ABOUT BUT YOU HAVEN'T SEEN YET

If you're going to promote games, you want to promote the best. If some loser idiot person sees the award for "Best Game", tries it, and realizes its shit, they're not going to have a good impression of video games in general.

. It's just a shame that people seem to prefer a proper dedicated handheld experience.

People are idiots. How could they want to have a system that boots up and starts in seconds and games they can play in a few minutes while on public transit when they could spend that time staring at a loading screen. Morans. :shifty:

If you're going to promote games, you want to promote the best.

'fraid not, dear.

The people who have the money for this sort of thing promote the games they think will make them the most money.

Why is that a shame? Handheld experiences can be great. Surely it's better to play a game that's meant to be handheld, than one that's not.

Hmm, I thought I might wade into trouble with that comment ...

It would be nice if the market supported both types of games. I find it a little bizarre, because people readily tolerate/embrace "straight ports" of 2D games on the GBA and more recently, some of the DS library. In that sense, it seems that people's aversions to the PSP's style of game are more based in familiarity (2D games are old and forgotten, 3D action games are current), rather than on the titles' individual merits.

How could they want to have a system that boots up and starts in seconds and games they can play in a few minutes while on public transit when they could spend that time staring at a loading screen.

While I was certainly commenting on the nature of the system's games, I don't recall saying anything about battery life or loading times. So please let's not turn this into a regular, tired PSP/DS fanboy fight. Thanks.

Here is an analogy that I feel is relevant: Some people buy 13" laptops, so they can use them wherever they are, e.g. on the train, in a café, etc. Some people buy 17" laptops, with the intention of being able to easily move them around, but only to use them in a few specific places, e.g. work/home or home/college. Different uses, different markets, deceptively similar form factor. The DS/PSP thing is fragmented along similar lines.

While I was certainly commenting on the nature of the system's games, I don't recall saying anything about battery life or loading times. So please let's not turn this into a regular, tired PSP/DS fanboy fight. Thanks.

Yes, because those technical restraints have no influence on shaping the nature of those games. :erm: This was all nice and civil until you brought the F-word into this discussion.

Continuing with the double-team...

Yes, because those technical restraints have no influence on shaping the nature of those games. :erm: This was all nice and civil until you brought the F-word into this discussion.

Quite.

I like how choosing not to accept fundamentally bad design automatically makes me some rabid [F-word] fucktard.

A direct clone of a game that was superb on a home system does not automatically a superb portable game make. Play styles are entirely different and failure to comprehend and embrace that means failure to make a decent portable game.

Hey now, let's leave SpiderMonkey alone. He does have something of a point. I almost always have my DS in my backpack, because it's great when I'm waiting for the bus or show up early to meet a friend, stuff like that. Brief bursts of time to kill. I also like my PSP, but only bring it with me when I know that I'll have an hour or so of nothing to do later on in the day. During those periods, I'll play GTA , Lumines, MGA, or whatever. Honestly though, most of my playtime on the PSP has been logged while sitting on my couch. It's a solid system that just happens to have a screen on the controller instead of needing to be hooked up to something. There's nothing wrong with that. Portable games that are meant to be portable? Love 'em. Still, the PSP has its place.