Aussie Ben

That ZX Spectrum Thing

Okay, the first game I've ever played for the Spectrum was the emulated version of Jetpac from Donkey Kong 64. And it's saying something when I'm telling you that I enjoyed Jetpac waaay more than the main game. I had a go of Sabre Wulf on an emulator, but all that did was make me want to cry. Spent fifteen minutes on it, died quickly, end message:

YOU ARE DEAD YOU COMPLETED 0.0000001%

YOU ARE AWFUL PLAYER

Moving along...can anyone reccommend any other Spectrum games that are worth playing? I loved Jetpac, it was highly addictive. Any others along that line? (It doesn't have to be Ultimate only, I'm sure other companies made good games for it too.)

I never played any Spectrum games except for Jetpac (for the same reasons as you), but I know that Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Chuckie Egg, and Monty on the Run are all big Spectrum games.

Treasure Island Dizzy, Fantasy World Dizzy etc., used to love those.

Although actually the C64 and Amstrad CPC versions were better than on speccy

You know, as much of a retro fan I am, and as much as I'd want a Speccy, the simple reminder of those LOOOOOOONG tape loading times makes me cringe...;(

Ahh, my little rubber keyed ZX. Can't remember them all, buit those I do include Pteradon Attack (space invaders clone), Way of The Tiger which worked about twice but was great, and the LoTR text adventure, where we never got further than bree. Best death in that game:

eat apple

you cannot eat that

eat table

you canot do that

eat Sam

Sam fights you off and stabs you with his dagger

you are dead.

retry y/n

But the best one was Saboteur. Good ninjaring fun.

Way of The Tiger which worked about twice but was great

A friend once left his Spectrum on for two weeks because a dodgy copy of Shinobi he had only ever loaded successfully once every dozen or so attempts. He would have left the machine on for longer, but the poor little thing eventually got too hot and fried its internals.

And it never loaded anything after that... :violin: