Moosferatu

DS Games

OK, so I got a buncha gift certificates from siblings (being child #4 of 5 has its benefits sometimes...) and hit the EB today. Walked away with Every Extend Extra and Elite Beat Agents, as I felt that my portables hadn't been getting any love lately what with the Wii attracting all the attention. As this is the DS thread: Elite Beat Agents.

Holy crap. Ok, so it's just more of the same if you've played Ouendan, but what the hell is wrong with that? My only complaint is that the track selection includes a number of songs that irritate me to no end. Inane lyrics abound. Still, the gift of the rhythm genre is its ability to make you enjoy a song that you hate by having something really fun to do while you listen to it. EBA succeeds spectacularly in this. If I ever choose to listen to Avril Lavigne in a setting that isn't EBA, I'll put a bullet in my head. Somehow though, the game makes it so that it's just another beat to tap along to. On the plus side, there are also a few good songs, so I'll let it alone. It's a varried mix, at any rate. I have a feeling that this really isn't as different from Ouendan as my gut tells me it is. After all, Ouendan had a really diverse selection of J-pop too, I just couldn't get pissed off by inane lyrics because I couldn't understand them.

If you can let yourself ignore some of the crap songs and just get into the game, it's the same game underneath. And it's still so damned fun. Reggie was sad that people weren't buying it, so I've now done my part. Check it out if you see it.

I received 42 All-Time Classics yesterday, I haven't had time to play it yet, but many of my friends have it also and what I've seen so far tells that it's an excellent game and with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection support, that's very good.

I can't wait to play Texas Hold'em against other people from around the world.

I received 42 All-Time Classics yesterday, I haven't had time to play it yet, but many of my friends have it also and what I've seen so far tells that it's an excellent game and with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection support, that's very good.

I can't wait to play Texas Hold'em against other people from around the world.

42 All-Time Classics has turned out to be just as good as the reviews made out.

My only gripe - and it's a glaring oversight - is that there's no "hot seat" support for multiplay. I brought my DS with me on Christmas Day to the In-Law's house and it's the first time my brother's been genuinely enthusiastic about playing the DS (he's not a gamer). But we had to take turns playing a round at bowling/darts/etc. against the computer for highest scores. Being able to play these sorts of games in multiplayer on just one DS would be brilliant.

Taking my time, I finally finished Justice for All just now. Terrific! The last case was quite refreshing in its setup. Ever since the ending of Phoenix Wright I had wondered how they'd equal the sequel's ending without making it totally the same, but they really nailed it.

Can't wait for the port of the third title! (Though the new one may be first up)

Anyone else played Contact more? I read a review that said they really liked it, then hated it, then loved it, so I'm wondering if the people who weren't impressed earlier played it any further.

I'm still going through the first "Phoenix Wright" and having a ton of fun (although its grasp on the innocent til proven guilty concept is nonexistent). I'm finishing the fourth case. Someone said here said that the last one isn't translated as well?

:stan:

Uhm, as far as I could see there was nothing wrong with the fifth case. In fact, it was absolutely bloody brilliant.

I'm still stuck in the fifth case, actually today I progressed in it for the first time in many months.

I've got lots of left in that case, because at the moment I'm still in Trial day 1.

It's definitely the most challenging one of the five cases.

Near the end of Justice for All I was for the first time tempted to go to a walkthrough, but I resisted and solved everything on my own, much to my personal satisfaction. Persist, defenders of truth!

tempted to go to a walkthrough

I simply had to do that to get through Dawn of Sorrow's several "bad" endings successfully.

Portrait of Ruin looks no different as I hit the first false ending about 6-7 hours in. Now I can't get any further, mainly because the [ahem] "advice" offered by NPCs is somewhat wooly to say the least... :erm:

Or maybe I'm just thick. :hmph:

Dunno if this link was already posted, lots of cool DS ads, including the new Hotel Dusk trailer (it plays vertically, cool!)...

Kolzig linked to the Hotel Dusk trailer, which can also be seen

. The fact it was mostly overlooked (or at least no one bothered to comment) made me a sad panda, since this is obviously the most exciting thing since the sun. Or slice bread, though I find THAT overhyped.

Oh, I just can't wait for Hotel Dusk! It's by the guys that did Another Code, and although it was a bit odd and obscure in some parts, I totally loved that too.

I hope the story for Hotel Dusk is good, because at least everything else seems excellent in it according to what I've heard.

Here comes a n00b question:

Is there a (legal) way to get DS demos in Europe? Or else I'll have to get a supercard...

Is there a (legal) way to get DS demos in Europe? Or else I'll have to get a supercard...

Well, if wireless demo pods have made it into UK stores I'd be surprised if mainland Europe hasn't gotten them yet.

Dumb question #2: Have you asked any of your local games retailers?

Yeah, I've played Contact, and I do not recommend it. The boxart and the setting and the graphics are all nice and dandy, but the game itself is a fairly unexciting JRPG.

Hotel Dusk, though, and Justice for All, and Star Fox Command, and Actionloop - all seem ace so far.

Damn. That page seems to have disappeared and searching returns 1 result at £28.99

It's been bandied around several big discount mailing lists, so I would imagine Virgin have quietly pulled the listing. Shame.

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

.. are two of the most enjoyable titles I have ever played. Mmmm goodness.

Also, anyone know when DQIX is due for release??

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

.. are two of the most enjoyable titles I have ever played

Okay, that's it. I'm buying Portrait of Ruin.

...or should I start by playing the first GBA Castlevania? I hate going back and playing older games in a series after I've played a newer one (which is why, sadly, I've yet to play the first Mario & Luigi).