Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Sam and Max & Gametap

So I just subscribed to and downloaded Gametap. I couldn't resist. SAM & FREAKIN' MAX! While I wait for the game itself to download, I'm kind of curious as to who else on here may have the service and what they'd reccommend. I browsed around a bit and saw things like Splinter Cell: PT (the one that I missed!) and Uru that I filed in the back of my mind to get later. So: who's got it and what's good?

I like Gametap, but I don't play enough to justify a subscription. I heard a rumor that after they get it running for Macs they're going to do linux next. If they do I'll subscribe without a seconds thought. That would be just about the best thing ever.

How's Sam & Max?

Got a one-month trial. Sam and Max was funny, if a bit short.

The psychology puzzles were all kinds of awesome.

I've heard good things about The Last Express (just started playing it), Shadow of Destiny (originally a PS2 adventure game), and Planescape: Torment(RPG where you play an immortal being). The Earthworm Jim games are also pretty fun (except for EWJ3d), as well as Super Puzzle Fighter II and The Incredible Machine. Introversion's Uplink hacker sim was added recently, too. Honestly, right now I think I'm not going to renew GameTap and just buy the season direct from Telltale.

Well, I live outside of the US/Canada, so I can't get it even if I wanted it. The Last Express is a true classic of the adventure series and is an absolute bastard to find nowadays (let alone run), so that's definitely a good choice.

And Planescape: Torment is the finest, darkest and funniest Black Isle/Bioware RPG out there - and this is from the developers who between them made two Baldur's Gates and two Knights of the Old Republics, four already superb games.

Most games I saw on it though were easily available on Emulation websites for Genesis/MegaDrive or SNES.

Planescape is on there? Damn, I didn't see it. I've always meant to play it but never got around to it. I'll be sure to make a go at that one. Also have already downloaded the Last Express, as it falls into the same "intended to but never did" category as Planescape. Also downloaded Uru. This should be a good way to catch up on the adventure games that school prevented me from playing. As for Uplink, I bought it direct from introversion for $30 the week before they announced it was coming to Steam for $10. And now I could play it as included in the subscription cost. Sigh. Still worth it, but I can't help but be a little pissed off.

Sam and Max was really good. I beat it in about 3 hours, but I enjoyed every bit of it. There was one joke that I actually had to go somewhere else and let myself stop laughing after just so I could get back to playing the game. In retrospect, it was kind of a dumb joke, but Max's timing and delivery were so perfect that it made it brilliant. I'm not sure how much Telltale's going to ask for if you order directly from them, but if it's anywhere near the price of HL2: Ep 1 I'd rate it as better value even though it may be shorter. It's just that awesome to be able to see a really well executed adventure game come out again.

EDIT: Crap. Just had a look and Planescape doesn't seem to be on the site. Is it a "coming soon" sort of thing or did I get my hopes up for nothing?

EDIT EDIT: Checked their website. Planescape and the Baldur's Gates are on there, but not available in Canada. What the crap?

I think the price was $9 per episode or $35 for the entire season of six episodes(buy now and download the episodes when they're released).

Do yourself a favor and just buy Planescape. A copy of it and BGII should be on everyone's shelves.

I'm looking forward to see what Uru is going to be like when they re-launch it. I heard that they've changed some stuff in it. My biggest peeve with it are its absolutely horrendous controls. If that's been fixed I think I could get into it.

I just presumed people would never ever sell their Planescape: Torment copies.

You'd be amazed the things that I've found on eBay that I would never part with if I'd already owned it. And now I do own them, so I ain't parting. I'll have a look around and see what I can find. Still, it kind of irks me that of the games that people have mentioned are really worthwhile on Gametap, there are only a couple that are both available in Canada and I don't already own. Oh well. Time to try out Pandora Tomorrow and see if it's as good as the other two were.