Wrestlevania

Grindhouse (2007)

Anyone else spotted Grindhouse on the cinematic horizon yet? It's a collaborative effort by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino, with its sole purpose seemingly to take mainstream cinematic gore and violence to the extreme.

The film is apparantly split into two contrasting parts, with each director contributing a story. Rodriguez's is called Planet Terror and has the potential to become the quintessential modern day zombie flick no doubt. Meanwhile Tarantino's piece is entitled Death Proof and features Quentin's best-known fair; a menagery of freaks firing lots of very big guns at each other.

I stumbled upon it purely by chance and I'm quite intrigued.

Somebody (I forget who) linked me to this. I was also told it's not actually a trailer for either of the two features themselves, but is a false trailer that's shown either at the end or at the beginning of one of them (presumably the second, so cinema-goers think it's a normal one?).

Of course I could have just misinterpreted them.

Yeah, as I understand it, the movie is split into two main parts with "fake" trailers in between and/or after/before. I think I read that if there's a sequel, it'll probably be based on the trailers of the first film.

Also, anyone seen The Devil's Rejects? I'm usually not into that kind of movies, but I found it strangely enjoyable.

Im not sure I understand the duel trailer concept...

The second movie with Danny Trejo will be made and include a false trailer for Rodriguez's movie?

Anyway, it looks strangely stylaized. I'd like to say I'm offended, but the violence looks at lot better handled by Rodriguez and Tarantino than, say, whoever made that crap movie Hostel.

As long as a movie doesn't take itself too seriously, it can frankly do whatever it wants and be acceptable.

There can be no doubt in my mind that this is going to be a blast. My only concern is if this is going to be released for mainstream audiences since the whole "grindhouse"-concept is something that is completely unknown outside of the US. I hate Tarantino for not making more movies...

That trailer has the two "real" movies inside the movie. The movie will indeed have "fake" trailers in between, but none of them is in the real trailer (one of them is directed by the same dude who did Shaun / Hot Fuzz).

Hmm... I dunno... Robert Rodriguez is useless.

• Sin City (2005) SHIT
  • Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003) SHIT
  • Spy Kids (2001) SHIT
  • The Faculty (1998) SHIT
  • From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) CLASSIC
  • Desperado (1995) GREAT
  • Mariachi, El (1992) V GOOD

Oh this is just ridiculous. In Europe, Grindhouse will be cut into two parts and released independently from each other. Because we Europeans woldn't understand the concept of the double feature movie and wouldn't want to sit in the cinema for 4 hours.

Bleh.

List

Sin City was a fun watch, especially since they stayed so true to the comics. I honestly think it was better than From Dusk Till Dawn (which doesn't rank very highly for me personally, mind). Definitely not shit though.

Similarly, I think Once Upon a Time in Mexico is a great comic book film. It should be added to the Definitely Not Shit list, too.

Watching Once upon a Time in Mexico is like watching Rodriguez raping happily some great ideas and a magnificient duo of actors just because making a good & honest movie isn't what's hot anymore.