Sign in to follow this  
SpiderMonkey

Interview Etiquette

When you go for an interview, is it polite/expected/good form to send a note afterwards saying thank you? Or does it seem a bit desperate?

I've seen non-games industry folk suggesting the former (on message boards, etc), but my friends and family are of the latter opinion. I'm really unsure which to follow (esp when it comes to the games industry, since it's so much more laid back than many other job types), so I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought. Bonus points if you're able to tell me if it differs culturally, e.g. UK versus US.

I'm by no means an expert on interviewing (in that I have yet to switch jobs) but I'm inclined to say no, don't send a note.

No expert either, but maybe it depends on your rapport with the person and how the interview went. If the industry is so casual as you say, it can't really hurt and could be considered a courtesy that offends no one.

I think this might really come down to how things wind up at the end of the interview. If the interviewer insists you have their business card, so that you can contact them if you have any further questions, then by all means...

If you're job-hunting via an agency, then they'll want feedback about how things went. A good agency will put in a follow-up call on your behalf to the company to see what they thought of you -- your agent should feed your comments back the company at this point also.

I'm not sure what type of market you're refering to (US or UK), but this is what I will say.

Generally, if you get a business card, I'm inclined to say yes, give them a Thank You email.

For high level positions, I make my people write a quick thank you email and I forward that to the hiring manager. It's just professional courtesy and a way of showing your appreciation of having the other person take their time out to interview you. It doesn't have to be anything long or fancy, but rather something that expresses your interest and a way of saying "hey, I look forward to being a good addition to your company" (or something along those lines)

In addition, when companies are interviewing people for positions, they are seeing if they are a good personality fit and have the right skills. They want to find someone they can work with in the long run and giving a thank you email is saying "hey, I can show appreciation but also understand professional etiquette" which translates to you having a general clue of how to act in the workplace.

However - if you're in a more of an informal environment (like gamers versus financial industries, or heavily regulated companies), it won't be as important.

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure what type of market you're refering to (US or UK), but this is what I will say.

Generally, if you get a business card, I'm inclined to say yes, give them a Thank You email.

For high level positions, I make my people write a quick thank you email and I forward that to the hiring manager. It's just professional courtesy and a way of showing your appreciation of having the other person take their time out to interview you. It doesn't have to be anything long or fancy, but rather something that expresses your interest and a way of saying "hey, I look forward to being a good addition to your company" (or something along those lines)

In addition, when companies are interviewing people for positions, they are seeing if they are a good personality fit and have the right skills. They want to find someone they can work with in the long run and giving a thank you email is saying "hey, I can show appreciation but also understand professional etiquette" which translates to you having a general clue of how to act in the workplace.

However - if you're in a more of an informal environment (like gamers versus financial industries, or heavily regulated companies), it won't be as important.

Hope this helps!

You've changed, man. It used to be about the music!

You've changed, man. It used to be about the music!

Yeah. I forgot to add that I'm a technical recruiter for a staffing agency. I think I have a little more of a clue when it comes to getting that J-O-B. Only a little bit though.

Haha, I totally misunderstood the question. I was thinking about an interview-interview. The one where you ask questions to someone which you then proceed to never publish on your website, ever.

Because you hate new content.

It's just professional courtesy and a way of showing your appreciation of having the other person take their time out to interview you.

but didn't you thank them in person at the end of the interview!?

I don't see the real use of thanking people, through mail, for the interview after you got back home from the interview.

A thank you email.

Courtesy goes a long way in today's day and age. Even if it's a person's job to interview you, everyone likes a little appreciation these days.

Yes, you do thank them in person, but also when you send a thank you email, you're keeping your name fresh in the hiring manager's mind. And also, it's your way expressing interest in the position. It shows courtesy and professionalism.

When you're interviewing with companies, they are going be interviewing not just you, but multiple people. What seperates you from everyone else if how you conduct yourself during the interview, the skill sets and your personality. (Plus anything that seperates candidate A from B for the manager) This lets you stand out from your competition (even if it's just a little thing)

hmm... interesting...

ah well.. still planning not to wear a suit for my interviews when I'm done, just the usual jeans and t-shirt (or long sleeves).

Best interview tip, bar none: ALWAYS wear a suit.

Doesn't matter if it's "not appropriate" for the position or company -- details like that are entirely irrelevant and you should wear one anyway. It makes a significant difference and marks you out as taking this opportunity seriously, rather than having just wandered in off the street.

Before now an interviewer has even said that I need not wear one for my second interview; ignore this and wear it again anyway. You set your own standards when approaching a new company; make sure you set them high because it'll get you noticed and keep you in people's minds. Sticking to these standards only reinforces the point -- you're serious about this job and you really want to work for this company!

I never wore a suit to an interview and I found jobs fine...

I don't plan to wear a suit, ever. Unless it becomes fashionable.

You set your own standards when approaching a new company; make sure you set them high because it'll get you noticed and keep you in people's minds.

And you can say that with a straight face? Set your standards high by pretending something you're not? Be a dime a dozen by also wearing a suit? That's doesn't make you stand out.

Also, bad impressions last the longest, so if you want people to keep you in mind for a long time you should make a bad impression (not that you would get the job).

But who to trust? The person that had a lot of interviews, or the person that only had one/few interviews?

I would probably never hire a company to help me find a job, or use any advice like "wear a suit". (With all due respect of course :) ) Maybe it's because I'm in the game industry and every company I know is pretty informal, but I don't think I would even do anything special when interviewing for a job in any other industry.

I believe the correct attitude is wanting to find out if a company fits with you, not if you fit within a company. Things that will help you get a job (or help you get anything in life really) are confidence, calmness and obviously some social skills. The way you shake hands or the kind of personality you display has a huge effect on people. Maybe that's what staffing agencies and such should teach about and not whether to send thank you emails or to wear suits, which is just part of the grand interviewing ritual and not the actual conversation in which 90% happens.

Don't send a thank you note. At least in scandinavia this is desperate and signals that they really did you a favor interviewing you - making you seem like someone who nobody normally would interview.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, they're very helpful. My greatest concern was that I was seeming rude by not sending a thank you note, but it seems that, despite the lack of overall consensus, this is certainly not the case.

On the suit subject, I'd say it's another opportunity to display some personality, as Marek shrewdly puts it. One of my old bosses said that he'd never hire a guy who showed up in a suit, because it said to him that they didn't know anything about the tone of the games industry. I think that's overly harsh, but I certainly always make a point of showing up in a nice shirt, trousers, belt and smart shoes, because that's expressing respect for the people who are interviewing you. (Plus there's plenty of scientific evidence to suggest that physical factors like height and beauty contribute to interview success and salary, so I've no doubt that looking smart helps on a subconscious level too.)

Given that, though, I'm sure people have been hired when they show up in white tie, and in hawaiian shirts too. :)

I'd show up in a suit, but that's because I wear those things casually anyway :tup: To school, to parties, when I feel like it... suits rock.

Of course the best way to get a job is to network. And networking is not necesserily that social robot stuff that networking guides tell you to do. It's simply about naturally connecting with a lot of people in your industry and leaving a good impression wherever you go. Literally every job I have had so far (well, since being a paper boy when I was 15 or so) has just come to me through my network.

I'd show up in a suit, but that's because I wear those things casually anyway :tup: To school, to parties, when I feel like it... suits rock.

Somewhat the same deal for me. I wear a suit jacket as my standard, everyday jacket, but I make sure to offset it by wearing cruddy old sneakers that I don't bother to tie. It's all about the right contrast to keep myself from looking like a pretentious wanker. There's something about wearing a suit jacket that just feels great.

Best interview tip, bar none: ALWAYS wear a suit.

Couldn't disagree more with this. In my industry, wearing a suit is just asking to be rejected. Unless you're in finance or legal or some other stuffy side of the industry, suits == bad idea.

If it's a very casual company, you can't go wrong with business casual. You'll be more formal than the employees (who may be wearing shorts + sandals), but it's better than showing up in a suit and tie at a company where nobody wears such things.

And yes, always send a thank you note. E-mail is fine if that's how you've been communicating.

Also, persistance helps, but within reason. Don't e-mail them again if you haven't heard anything in a week, but if a month goes by with nothing, that's fine (just make it friendly).

Suits suck.

Unless I'm going to a wedding, funeral or some other formal function, I'm in jeans.

Unless I'm going to a wedding, funeral or some other formal function, I'm in jeans.

I have formal jeans ;)