Moosferatu

Battlestar Galactica Season 3

I really hope that it comes down to Adama cracking for the sake of explaining his weird character shifts, but I'm guessing that it's probably just poor writing. A friend of mine said this recently, "It's weird how Adama is becoming the bad guy of the show." He's also pointed out how in general recently they've been manipulating their characters to make them do stuff that isn't really consistent with their character, like in that episode about the refining ship. Lord only knows why Adama and Roslin were acting like that. Speaking of Roslin, this season she's come across as a homeless person who has nothing better to do with her time than wander aimlessly around Galactica. Nice.

I completely agree with you about Lampkin and Tigh too. Man, do they kick ass. Tigh's consistently been the best part of this season too. What with Baltar being sidelined and Adama being pulled every which way.

Ha! I just stumbled across this blog. While I think he's a bit too negative at times (even flat out wrong), he does make a couple good points. Here are some of my favorites.

On Crossroads:

These days, Apollo and Romo Lampkin seem like the only sane people aboard the entire fleet. The old Bill Adama from Season 1 would not have acted like the raging lunatic we see today.

On Maelstrom:

This week, Admiral Adama cries because Kara "Starbuck" Thrace is dead.

Last week, Admiral Adama was going to execute Callie because Tyrol was being disobedient in demanding that the slaves in the mines get some time off.

Consistent? I think not.

On Dirty Hands:

So Admiral Adama says that everyone must obey and the punishment for not obeying is execution.

Where the hell were these sentiments when Helo was disobeying orders? And Helo was INTENTIONALLY trying to help Cylons whereas Chief Tyrol was trying to improve the safety of the mining ship which would, in the long run, help the fleet.

Lord only knows why Adama and Roslin were acting like that.

I actually didn't mind Dirty Hands that much (perhaps because only due to the episodes that came immediately before it), and I think Roslin is written fairly consistently, despite (because of?) being sidelined. Her slow descent into autocracy, while painful to watch, seems plausible. ("One of the interesting things about being President is that you don't have to explain yourself... to anyone.")

Adama has just fucking lost it, though. And I can't decide if his presence on the tribunal is just bad writing or an intentional point at how much of a kangaroo court this is. (And that's after having listened to the podcasts.)

I noticed today there was a big article in the current SFX on Battlestar Galactica.

Also, my roommate is hooked on it. Instead of doing any schoolwork, he's watching the series non-stop.

At least Dirk Benedict didn't show up as God... but maybe they're saving that for next year.

Apparently before the premier in 2008, there'll be a movie in the fall set on Pegasus (presumably before she found Galactica, with Cain and co. still large and in charge).

I thought the last 15 minutes were great. All in all, though, this season ended up being pretty lackluster compared to the others :(

I'm about 4 episodes (or more) behind again, but after all the BSG bashing I've read online in the last month - more than a little of it well-justified - I've no real impetus to catch up. Which makes me sad, as there isn't really anything else on TV that I actually care about.

Do keep watching! It isn't really all that bad. Especially the season finally is worth watching.

Holy fucking what the fuck?

Yeah I just caught up to the finale finally.

Overall I enjoyed this season. Went a bit lame around the 2/3 mark but the last dew episodes I likes. And yeah Lamkin was a great character, and yes I spotted the start of Adama's descent into cranky old man pretty early in the season. I'm just suprised it never became a plotline in itself. in my opinion he's getting increasingly jaded and starting to care about everything less and less.

Also did I mention: Holy fucking what the fuck?

I guessed that Starbuck was one of the final five cylons the moment she died. I also suspected that the music might be a clue as to the other four (also nice to have the music be a clue in itself, being an Earth popsong. Guess that dates the show finally to the present or future). But I was still biting my nails as they all strode into that room. Wow. Not had a season finale do that to me for a long time.

So, uh, when is the next season eh?

edit: oh yeah one other thing I got from the season as a whole; Galactica has got to be the most ill-diciplined miltary ship in the galaxy. Not a week goes by that someone disobeys orders, shirks duties or acts out of line. it's like M.A.S.H. in space :P

Dan do you realise that

your suspicions have not been confirmed, only 4 of the 5 cylons have been revealed according to R.D. Moore. I'm pretty sure that Starbuck isn't the final cylon...... Especially considering their tendencies to keep but re-imagine all the major plot points from the original series (read about the "Ship of Light")

yeah I know, also

The four galactica cylons might just think that they're cylons, although I admit this is unlikely. Also there's the fact that Roselyn was apparently the only non-cylon in Hera's dream - but that might be due to the cylon blood injection, or something else (looks like Hera might be telepathic here).

The Ship of Lights theory would imply aliens arriving in the series, which I find a bit hard to swallow. Although... with the all the unanswered questions about the true nature of the cylons, prophecies and even God, there is bound to be some pretty far-out stuff in the final season.

Well

I'm thinking that the re-imagining of the Ship of Lights might have more to do with Earth and the 13th colony. I mean seriously has their technology really not changed much in thousands of years?

I'm also thinking of tying head-six, head-baltar and head-leoben (the one that said he wasn't leoben) into this idea, with them all being manifestations of a third faction interfering and manipulating to get everyone to earth..... for a big party or something.

edit:

Forgot to mention, R. D. Moore has explicitly stated that the 4 who think they are cylons are definitely cylons. So no need to worry about whether they're convinced of a falsehood, it would be shitty of him to change his mind.

yup

I came to the same conclusions regarding them. They all seem to be linked the "God" whatever that turns out to be.

There also seems to be a major link between the religious stuff and prophecies and the Final Five. Perhaps the Five are "more evolved" cylons that are peaceful and playing both sides towards some resolution.

My pet theory.. that the "this has all happened before" line, as well as being a nod to the original BSG, is a clue in itself. Could be that humans were originally the cylons of a previous human race... that the cycle of creation, rebellion imitation and supplantation goes way way back

Yeah I pretty much share your theories wholesale.

One thing that confuses me (and doesn't need spoiler tags, yay!) is how the 13th tribe was able to go this massive distance to Earth AND leave the religious texts that describe their route. Someone must have come back, so logically there must also be descendents......