Moosferatu

Battlestar Galactica Season 3

Season 3 is starting to feel pretty disappointing.

It's felt pretty disappointing for a while now. Also, I was worried that there'd be a killer cliff-hanger that would leave me on the edge of my seat till January 21st, like season 2. Not so much. :fart:

There's still an episode next week that promises to be just that.

Hey, you're right. I just assumed that the mid-season break would come half-way through the season. whoops.

RDM uses a different episode count than the rest of the world. The season opener was in fact a double episode. So some call the last episode #10, others #11, and everyone is confused.

Yeah, they seem to reserve real cliffhangers for the actual season finales. (Okay, so nobody thought Adama was going to die at the end of season one, but everything else that happened in Kobol's Last Gleaming was an actual cliffhanger.)

The plot of the episode didn't interest me that much, but some of the character moments were great. Boomer/Athena and Baltar/everyone in particular.

Yeah, they seem to reserve real cliffhangers for the actual season finales. (Okay, so nobody thought Adama was going to die at the end of season one, but everything else that happened in Kobol's Last Gleaming was an actual cliffhanger.)

I found it disappointing because it's like if the cliffhanger in KLG was Sharon points the gun at Adama and then in the next episode she... doesn't shoot him. Which seems to be where they're going with this: nothing really happened because in the next episode nothing's going to happen. If at the end of this episode they'd launched the nukes or even if Anders had been shot that would have been something. But I would be very surprised if the "cliffhangers" aren't resolved in the first two minutes of the next episode, so basically the story is paused halfway through to throw in a meaningless "oh my god will they be ok?! oh I guess they will be" moment.

Dean Stockwell is the man.

The "cliffhanger" is made even more ridiculous by the fact that they had to include a second "cliffhanger" involving Lee shooting Anders because they knew no one would actually buy that Adama was going to blow them all up. I mean, if Adama actually intended to do it, would anyone really be all that concerned with what Lee and Anders did? Of course, it's pretty obvious that nothing is really going to happen between them either.

I thought the mid-season cliffhanger last season was quite good. I figured that Galactica and Pegasus probably weren't going to start killing each other, but it was still very intense. What got me though was the question of whether or not they were going to kill either the Chief or Helo. At that point I was still operating under the false impression that they had no problem killing off their characters, so I was genuinely on edge about what was going to happen. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I actually had trouble getting to sleep that night so I got on IMDB and checked to see if the Chief appeared in any episodes later in the season (I started watching it after the second season had already aired).

Apparently, there might be a direct-to-video movie in the works. hmmm. Also, I'm not surprised their ratings have been falling. If I didn't love the first two seasons so damn much I probably would have even stopped watching the show by now.

Quality or decline thereof* isn't usually reflected in ratings that quickly is it? More likely the drop has to do with BSG no longer being paired up with two new Stargate episodes on Fridays.

* Disclaimer: I think the quality is overall as good as it was in season 2 (and I consider the first 5 episodes of season 3 to be the best the series has produced so far).

BSG was just renewed for a fourth season of at least 13 episodes. I hope it ends up being better than the current one. The most recent episode was pretty good though.

Can't speak for anyone else, but my enthusiasm for season 3 has bombed with episode 14 - I've still not been able to finish watching it...

Update: Ho... ly... fuck..! The Baltar manifestation just turned up in the prison cell with Six, and my mind has officially melted. :deranged:

Yeah episode 14 was drab. I was hoping they'd go in the direction of Helo just being paranoid and needing a break, but that sadly didn't happen.

However I am generally upbeat about the second half of the season so far. BSG is finally demonstrating (again since season 1?) an ability to do standalone episodes that are actually good and don't require any Cylons. Taking a Break From All Your Worries was amazing, this week's Dirty Hands was great, and A Day in the Life was good (despite a really drab B-plot involving Cally and the chief, saved only by the sickbay scenes at the end which had some good acting).

I think the season has been pretty much solid except for the 100% on-the-nose overdrive exposition-fest that was Torn. I still hate that episode.

Also their designs and concepts for the Basestar were mostly a failure. Let's forget that ever happened.

The recent episodes have been much much better. 17 and 18 would have fit right in the first or second season. 19 was half good and half crap. Does the Lee vs Adama thing feel like a rehash to anyone else? Couldn't they have done something a bit more original than just have them bicker again? Not to mention there really doesn't appear to be all that clear of a motive for it in the first place.

Oh, and anyone listen to the podcast for 17? That bit with Olmos destroying the model ship worth hundreds of thousands of dollars is priceless. :tup:

I think they really don't have a clue what to do with Lee's character (or Roslin's, for that matter -- "We haven't done anything with her forever. What can we do? Bring back the cancer!"). As for the motivations, I'm hoping that it's because Adama (sr.) is cracking up and falling apart, because he's made absolutely no sense the last couple of episodes.

Romo Lampkin is like my favorite over-the-top character ever though. Extremely creepy and convincing at the same time. Kleptomania ftw.

Also, Michael Hogan: :owned: Old, drunk, insane murderers have never been so fun to watch.