Moosferatu

Battlestar Galactica Season 3

Scifi has put the first act (12 minutes) of Occupation up on Pulse. I just watched it. Oh man... it was fantastic! Another great editing piece. It also sounded like they were introducing in a new music style during it, or am I mistaken? It sounded mid-eastern to me. I was worried that they weren't going to be able to have Dean Stockwell in many episodes, but it doesn't look that's going to be the case. He's so great. I can't wait till this weekend.

:woohoo::adama::woohoo:

I've considered registering to use demonoid a couple of times, but never have because it didn't seem wise to register for something that is legally questionable. Did you register, Marek?

You don't have to be registered for new torrents, just for old ones I believe. But, yep, I'm registered. I can decide what I want to download and what not.

Just saw the preview and ohmygod. Montage = sex. I was glued to the screen. Bring on the rest of the episode!

Interview with katie. Minor hints on s3 but i might have missed any spoilers.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/737/737584p1.html

A nice quote. :)

IGN TV: In the first two seasons, was there a storyline Kara went through that really surprised you?

Sackhoff: Yeah, [the episode] "Scar." I didn't understand "Scar" at all! I still don't. [Laughs] I still don't understand how a rookie pilot can all of a sudden just wake up one day and just be better then the best pilot in the Fleet. It's just me; call me crazy! But that's the way I work, I guess. If you sit here and think about what these characters go through on a daily, weekly, monthly basis, you want to cry for them. It's really, really tragic the things that they go through, the things they are forced to do, and then they are actually asked to wake up and keep going. Which is hard especially when you don't know where you are going to end up. You know what you are fighting for, because it is tangible it is right there; but you don't know when it is going to end. Its like, "Is this my life?",' which is really frustrating I'd guess. It's sad when you think about that.

For the love! Will someone fracking kill Kat already!?! :( It's going to be hard to handle a season with her as CAG. Other than that :tup: :tup: . I'm particularly enjoying Tigh and the Starbuck subplot.

Laura dead? Or are they going to be, as Duncan puts it, "moving the car back onto the cliff"? I'm guessing that she probably makes it some how if only because I'm sure they'd give her a much more built-up send-off. Plus, it's only the second episode. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she ends up dying later this season, though she might make it to the next. At some point RDM is sure to make good on his threats of a cancer relapse. Personally, I hope her death is in some way related to the survival of Sharon's child.

On another note, do you think Gaius only sees the Six in his mind while the real Six is either dead or not near by? He seemed a little surprised to see her again. Hopefully their relationship will be fleshed out more soon.

One other thing, I can't remember, did Hotdog die last season or is he still around?

Whoa dark, dark, daaaaark. These two episodes are a real tightrope walk. I love it though. Holy shit.

I doubt Laura dies given that she appears in the preview for next week...

Ron Moore has balls the size of melons. I don't like every plot development we're seeing here but I think the writers are doing a great job, and I really respect all the risk-taking.

I doubt Laura dies given that she appears in the preview for next week...

Dude, what the heck are you doing watching the previews? :oldman:

MAN. Those may have been my favourite two hours of BSG ever. I am so much more interested in the occupation than the Galactica stuff for whatever reason. I wish the show would be about this for longer than it probably will be.

The one-two punch of the Sharon/Adama psychoanalysis and then, immediately, the Dualla/Lee psychoanalysis was a little hard to take in its obviousness. And the "THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MEETING WE WILL EVER HAVE" was very funny.

That's all I didn't like though. This was great.

I feel worse for Baltar and Jammer more than, say, Tyrol, weirdly. I doubt Jammer is going to make it. ;(

My guess on the Gaius/Six thing is that he only sees her when he's really distressed or adrenaline-fueled or whatever. He was permanently high-strung during season one and when she returned after her absence in season two it was when the Cylons came to New Caprica in the finale. From most of what we saw of Baltar in this episode, he's depressed and unengaged. Up until, obviously, he gets a gun shoved into his head and can't make a decision anymore.

Laura dead? Or are they going to be, as Duncan puts it, "moving the car back onto the cliff"?

Oh man, someone referenced my lame metaphor. :sad:

The metaphor only applies if, like, in the opening minutes of episode three we see everyone dive out of the line of fire before the Cylons start shooting. Or if there are suddenly five minutes between Cally falling down the hill and the centurions opening fire. Obviously Roslin isn't going to die and I kind of doubt Zarek will either. If none of those 200 people die though it will be lame. And this show has copped-out before with regards to death (see Roslin, curing cancer of.) I do think, given the tone of the show thus far, most of those people are dead.

Incidentally I really had to think hard to remember Dualla and Zarek's names.

That analysis on that blog is really good. I agree with it entirely.

BTW, random tangent: sometimes it strikes me how little we actually know about these characters. Where are they from? What were their lives like before the attacks? Which presidential candidate did they vote for a year and four months ago? Did they have families before, on the colonies?

But then you realize how much we actually DO know about all these characters just by extrapolating from their actions and who they side with. I feel like I've even got a pretty got idea of who minor characters like Anders or Jammer are even though there is very little character background given in the traditional sense. It's pretty amazing how these characters were originally just introduced for the purposes of a plot, or to give a bit more texture to certain locations (such as the hanger deck), but have since become almost as interesting and rounded as some of the supporting cast. I didn't give a flying shit about Anders on Caprica but I really care about him now.

And when Lee Adama said "Hoshi! Do such and such!", I was like "oh yeah, that guy, Hoshi". Not that Hoshi is at all important, but just having him there on the bridge still gives more realism to the world. It's amazing how deeper and deeper the world becomes instead of Star Trek where it's ensign of the week all the time. It must make the hiring and scheduling of actors a bitch though, I mean aren't there like 50 recurring characters by now?

By the way, I have no problems with Kat being CAG for the moment. I guess I sort of understand why some people don't like her, but I'm totally neutral towards her.

The only character I don't like is the Deanna cylon, number 3, who is utterly bland. You can tell that the other cylons are all sort of specialized in certain areas, or at least have a unique perspective, but she doesn't. Even the black cylon ("Simon") who we barely see anymore is more interesting than her, as he's apparently the scientist/surgeon cylon. The writers don't even use the fact that number 3 still hasn't been exposed as a cylon agent.

One thing you'd expect from an occupation would be to see all of the Cylon models.

And fucking Jammer. Wanker :/

Yeah, I think it's really interesting that they haven't shown much of the black cylon. It makes me wonder if there's something up with him. At first I just thought that they were having trouble getting him back, but then he all a sudden turned up for that one scene towards the end of the second episode. Suspicious. As for D'Anna,

I like her, but you won't have to worry about her past the mid-season mark.

I see her specialization as sort of the front man. She seems to be the voice of the Cylons.

A friend of mine just watched the first two episodes, and had a much different response to it than we did, so I thought I'd share what he had to say about it just to get a different perspective.

Yeah it makes sense for the story, but if you see this as a commentary

on the war in Iraq it's a bit different. I mean Bsg was headed in a

direction, and then suddenly they're stuck on a planet captured and

they call there resistence the Insurgency. You don't calll your

resistance to an occupying power an insurgency, you call yourselves

freedom fighters or rebels. When the guy blew himself up at the

graduation, right before that she was shaking one of the guys next to

him and saying "congradulations sargent." That's hitting to close to

home when plenty of military officers have been killed by suicide

bombers in Iraq, who also target the local police, also the talk about

hitting the market. Tigh and the chief have grown beards, can you

think of who they could stand for?

This entire thing is a commentary on the Iraq war. Cylons are the

American badguys who are publicly trying to win the hearts and minds

of the people while secretly detaining and tortuturing the innocent.

The Insurgency... well it's the insurgency, they're the good guys

who's actioins, nomatter how bad are demanded by the times and so

justified. The collaborators are those people in Iraq who are helping

the americans, like the chief says the shows stand point is that these

people diserve to be hung.

If you look at the premise of Bsg with them searching for earth and

then suddenly stoping for a year to jump down to the planet and get

into this situation, it does look like they're just stoping the show

to take time to make a statement on Iraq.

I think the parallels are obvious, but I really don't see the show making the insurgents (at least Tigh and the suicide bombers) the "good guys". Both sides are into morally abhorrent territory at this point.

But Adama will come back and set them all straight. :yep:

While the episodes are obviously inspired by Iraq, BSG rarely if ever takes a real "stance" and it doesn't do it here either. If you examine all the characters you can come up with valid cases for and against each of them. I don't think any side is meant to literally represent any side in the iraq war. There's a lot of allegory but I don't see the episodes as that kind of a direct and seamless metaphor.

Edit: so yeah, what Redwall said.

People who hate Kat might be relieved to know that ... (minor spoiler coming up regarding a new pilot)

a new pilot played by Carl Lumbly is apparently joining the regular cast according to the David Eick video blog "Introducing Bulldog". GALACTICA HAS A BILLION CHARACTERS.

Edit: whoops he might be an ECO not a viper pilot. We'll see. He's a Lieutenant though, definitely not a nugget.

Dixon gets on the show!

Does anyone have any interesting speculation? I read one where the poster speculated that Baltar takes credit for being the insider informant and causes Gaeta to meet the noose. Ai!

I didn't think Exodus part 1 in and of itself was the greatest. There was a good bit of padding at the beginning and most of the episode was just set-up for things to come. The next episode, on the other hand, promises to be a knock out. I can't wait. I loved D'Anna's dream sequence. The visuals on this show never cease to impress me.

Well, for me, that was superb -- but I always enjoy the "peopley" ones anyway. The way in which BSG continues to observe and document the ever-shifting subtleties of the (un)human condition remains the strongest aspect of the series IMHO. Quite brilliant.

Oh, and I have a small admission to make: I realised, whilst watching the climax of this episode, that it's been a very long and dull (televisual) summer without the regular sound of a tension-filled DRADIS sweep...

:woohoo:

Ehhhh. :tmeh: Talk about all-setup. It's not even very exciting set-up. Lay Down Your Burdens Part I at least had explosions. I think.

- Oh, X HOUR EARLIER, I missed you. Oh, wait, what's the opposite of 'miss'.

- Nice to see the first twelve minutes are a retread of the previous three.

- That opening was a total cheat on at least three levels. Also, that had to be the easiest fucking battle of all time. Notice how we didn't even see the centurions because I guess they ran down the effects budget.

- What happened to the beard? Seriously?

- Yeah, what this show needs is a fucking oracle.

- When they broke Resurrection Ship into two parts there were still things happening in the first one. This was like the first fifteen minutes of a typical episode padded out to death. A lot of shaking hands and pretty anaemic farewell speeches and vague baby mysticism. Kind of lost enthusiasm in a big way here.